Pilot launch of new 'Phuket Model' to let tourists in likely next month

rooster59

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

I am confused because tourists from Australia and New Zealand will be allowed in the middle of September already. On Aug 29th this source at the following link writes the following below. So there are still cases in both countries. 

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/australia-new-zealand-report-new-covid-19-cases/1956809

Cases in Australia rose to 25,570 with 112 infections reported in the past 24 hours, according to health officials.

New Zealand reported 13 cases in the past 24 hours, raising the overall count to 1,727, including 22 deaths and 1,568 recoveries.

Australians can't even leave without special permission. 

Its also very expansive to fly home atm with 300pax per day restriction. 

If they manage to leave they have a very good reason too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Like tirelessly trying to force a square peg into a round hole and all that time the proponents of such scheme sure that tourists will line up in their thousand to take part in this shereade,,,

Ezzra you are right. 

They will be able to take all the arriving tourist to Phuket in a Toyota Yaris and still maybe have seats left in the car. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

New Zealand reported 13 cases in the past 24 hours, raising the overall count to 1,727, including 22 deaths and 1,568 recoveries.

Pretty difficult to believe the figures for Thailand,when compared to N.Z.,a country that has only 3.5% the population of Thailand,and a rigid plan in place with track n tracing etc!!!

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It just hit me as to why they are pushing this model so hard. Bali had planned to open up next month but has now slammed shut until 2021, the same as some of the surrounding tourist destination locations.  With that in mind, I am starting to think that Thailand believes they will be the only tropical destination and will be able to capture those tourists who wish to stay warm during there own countries winters.  Does not take a brain surgeon to see how desperate they are and how stringent they will be in implementing such a plan.  Who the hell, other than those that have a house here, have a wife, and plenty of money would even be foolish enough to strand themselves in Phuket for up to 3 weeks before they could get a true vacation or return to their families here.

I spoke to a friend who has a house in Rawai, Phuket.  He and his Thai wife have been stuck in California since last November because of the Visa issues for insurance requirements for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, and then his trying to Obtain an O Visa based upon marriage became a disaster due to the Thai Government and consulate wanting his US marriage certificate and her US green card paperwork all translated into Thai, certified by the US Department of State before they would issue him a visa.  However, just as it appeared they could get back here in March Covid hit and they were stuck. I told him they should have just come back in November and for him to get a 30 day VOA, which he could then convert to an extension, but he did not have the 400,000 to put in the bank to season and he still needed all of the paperwork certified and translated.  Now that he has it all and could get here based upon being married to a Thai, he has instead said they can just freaking shove it up there <deleted>, put his house up for sale, and instead they are buying a Villa in Panama.  This is someone who has lived 6 months here and 6 months in California for the last 20 years.  No more shenanigans he told me this morning.  He is a multi millionaire and can afford whatever he wants but the way Thailand is approaching this he said is just plane lunacy. 

Multimillionaire you say? Did not have 400,000 baht? How about an Elite visa? Something doesn't add up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

How long does your health insurance policy cover? For tourists their duration but for an expat who is using  a return ticket with no departure date? Coverage until visa expiration?

it just doesn’t make sense....

Agree...... But that's basically the difference between health insurance and travel insurance. Unless you resident in a particular country, you don't really qualify to buy TI in that  country. IE, I live in UK, have an annual travel policy that includes Covid, however, it only covers trips out of UK of up to 60 days (or 90 with endorsement)

So i can travel to Thailand for 3 months, but couldn't live there on that particular policy.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It just hit me as to why they are pushing this model so hard. Bali had planned to open up next month but has now slammed shut until 2021, the same as some of the surrounding tourist destination locations.  With that in mind, I am starting to think that Thailand believes they will be the only tropical destination and will be able to capture those tourists who wish to stay warm during there own countries winters.  Does not take a brain surgeon to see how desperate they are and how stringent they will be in implementing such a plan.  Who the hell, other than those that have a house here, have a wife, and plenty of money would even be foolish enough to strand themselves in Phuket for up to 3 weeks before they could get a true vacation or return to their families here.

I spoke to a friend who has a house in Rawai, Phuket.  He and his Thai wife have been stuck in California since last November because of the Visa issues for insurance requirements for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, and then his trying to Obtain an O Visa based upon marriage became a disaster due to the Thai Government and consulate wanting his US marriage certificate and her US green card paperwork all translated into Thai, certified by the US Department of State before they would issue him a visa.  However, just as it appeared they could get back here in March Covid hit and they were stuck. I told him they should have just come back in November and for him to get a 30 day VOA, which he could then convert to an extension, but he did not have the 400,000 to put in the bank to season and he still needed all of the paperwork certified and translated.  Now that he has it all and could get here based upon being married to a Thai, he has instead said they can just freaking shove it up there <deleted>, put his house up for sale, and instead they are buying a Villa in Panama.  This is someone who has lived 6 months here and 6 months in California for the last 20 years.  No more shenanigans he told me this morning.  He is a multi millionaire and can afford whatever he wants but the way Thailand is approaching this he said is just plane lunacy. 

Exactly...... People with serious money won't be messed about like this, people without such resources cannot afford to even if they wanted to!

And your reply to @GeorgeCross summed it up perfectly. ????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A new model to reopen Phuket to foreign tourists was expected to be piloted in the middle of next month, Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said.

While in another post the PM says he's not ready to allow international tourism to start yet, quoting that the economy needs to be first and of the highest priority nationally. Not in isolated island regions.

"He said that on August 25, the Cabinet had approved in principle that Thailand Longstay, in which Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) owns 30 per cent, should coodinate with tourists on visa application and purchase of insurance. But the tourists would have to bear the cost of visa and insurance. The tourists will be required to undergo Covid-19 test 48 hours before their departure for Phuket and they will be tested again when they arrive. They will have to stay in alternative state quarantine in Thailand for 14 days before they are allowed to travel in Phuket. If they want to travel to other provinces outside Phuket, they will have to stay in the quarantine facility for 21 days."

Can't you just see the thousands of tourists lining up to take this wonderful "holiday in Paradise"? 

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A new model to reopen Phuket to foreign tourists was expected to be piloted in the middle of next month, Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said.

The Covid-19 pandemic is spreading closer to Thailand, Dr Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, said on Saturday (August 29).

I wonder who will win the battle or will it go to the toss of a coin with the PM having the final say if it ends in a draw?

The article has the fluffy self contradicting tone as all previous articles about reopening. "likely" means may or may not. I think when opening is planned to happen, there will be a much firmer positive tone in the media.
I'll believe it when it happens. The article says the 14 day prison sentance is still there.

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

Be interesting to see how many snowbirds do this...for those that normally do come for 6 months, the excessive cost and 2/3 week restrictions may not be too much of a concern. Time will tell.

I suppose, if they have current visas that allow that length of stay. As far as I can determine Thai Embassies still are not issuing new visas.