BANGKOK
bamboozled

Car insurance price goes up after claim?

Posted (edited)

Hi folks. My newly licensed wife took the car out first time and guess what happened.... The damage is pretty minor, scraped a wall on a small soi, but if we make a claim will the cost of the insurance then go up as is the case in the US, for example? I would imagine it does and if so, I am not sure I want to claim it. Perhaps just paying out of pocket might end up cheaper. Anyone with experience on this?

Ah, let me add this question: Do new drivers (wife) pay more for insurance then experienced drivers, as in the States, for example? I bought the car used and have been on the first class insurance from the previous owner so I am not super informed about the details though we are imminently due for renewal next month.

thanks all!

Edited by bamboozled

It goes on all over the world. Just do the maths, ( math to you I guess) that will give you the answer in no time at all.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Is that a yes?

Okay; yes it is but here in LOS, it will be difficult for you to assess what the rise is likely to be next year, if you claim this year.  Its a judgment call. I would say, very rough ball park, that if your repair is less than 10K get it done yourself. Very rough guide. Others may have a more accurate number for you to plan on.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Pilotman. That's what I assumed, too, that it would have to go up. My wife claims that changing insurance companies will allow us to "start fresh." I find this difficult to believe as an insurance company could never effectively raise a rate after an accident as the customer would just move on to a different company. In the US, your driving record follows you. Any input on that, please?

If you have a no claim bonus ( which makes the Insurance cheaper each year ) the you will loose some or all of that. I have made a couple of claims in 17 years and both times I had to pay a small amount as well. The car would have been photographed by the insurance company, if it was me I would wait until just before its due again and then claim for all the damage in one hit, I say this because all the Thai women I know have had numerus accidents in their first 12 months of driving.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Same rules apply here as pretty much anywhere else, if it's a small prang or fender bender with another car, you can try and agree to go 'knock-for-knock' (mutually agree to pay for the other car's repairs) with the other driver. Unfortunately in Thailand, the local driver sees any admission of 'guilt' as a loss of face so will insist on screwing up both parties insurance NCB.

However, if the OP's missus has simply scraped a wall, then sort it yourself (and adjust her allowance accordingly).

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a 3000 baht deductible. Yes, I almost don't want to have it fixed because I'm sure she will do it again. It's not the easiest driving in the world, in Chiang Mai city. Especially just starting out. The insurance actually runs out in 5 days so we gotta get them on it NOW or never. JWRC, did you subsequently pay more for your insurance after making claims? In 35 years of driving, I have never made one myself so I'm ignorant.

Give it a rub with a cutting agent, that should take a lot of the blatantly visual damage away. Then, do as the others say, save up all your scrapes to next year .

• Like 1

Yes, it will go up. Next!

• Like 1

I think I am correct in saying that most Thai drivers like to put their car in for an annual ding and scrape removal and partial respray and have the insurance company pick up the tab while claiming it ALL against the most significant ding. This makeover would coincide with insurance renewal so yes, they get the annual makeover and then switch insurance thinking it all never happened.

FWIW, my most recent insurance renewal benefited from a 48% NCB despite a couple of fender benders with inanimate objects by Mrs NL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

We have a 3000 baht deductible. Yes, I almost don't want to have it fixed because I'm sure she will do it again. It's not the easiest driving in the world, in Chiang Mai city. Especially just starting out. The insurance actually runs out in 5 days so we gotta get them on it NOW or never. JWRC, did you subsequently pay more for your insurance after making claims? In 35 years of driving, I have never made one myself so I'm ignorant.

If you claim now then you need a good excuse as insurance for most boo boo's needs to have their rep called on the spot, with some considerations as maybe you did not notice it until you got home as you now see someone hit you. If it is just a small scrape and nothing big, you might just want to do it yourself. Why don't you take it really quick to a repair shop and have them tell you how much before you make your decision. First class insurance runs you how much? 20k +/-? And yes it is easy to change insurance companies.

• Like 1

We're paying just under 12k I think. It's a 2010 car, however.

I claimed 3 times last year(2 times a complete respray) and they tried to increase my insurance but I haggled and they gave me the old price, Lot of competition so negotiate.

• Like 1