Car insurance price goes up after claim?

bamboozled

If I was still in the insurance business, 

here in Thailand,

Personal effects                   yes

House & contents                 yes

Life                                     yes

Medical                               yes

Car                                     Never

1 ... Car, (Isuzu Muy7 10 years old), in ex wife name, divorce = 50/50 split...no contact so car still used by me in her name.

2 ... I pay for tax and insurance every year (same insurance Co for over 10 years - no claims. (Insurance accepts my payments for the vehicle in my ex's name).

3 ... Nov 2019 my mate borrows car to collect his kids from school. Gets rear ended and pushed into Minibus in front - see pic. Everyone advised. Other driver at fault (admitted to Police). No injuries. My insurance will cover.

4 ... Insurance Co says ok for car rental during car repair period (Nov 2019 thro' Mar 2020)

5 ... Car repaired and returned insurance fully cover costs here ... during this time tax and insurance have expired. Tax renewed no problem there.

6 ... Insurance renewal ... Insurance Co want an additional 3k over last's years renewal price (up from 29K to 32K approx ... sorry I forget the exact numbers).

7 ... My insurance claim ... Insurance will not pay 100% of car hire charges because the vehicle is in ex wife's name ... (Hire costs were >30K) ... Insurance only offered 22K settlement and the settlement was split 50/50 (11K each between me and the ex) !?!

I had no options and went with the flow ... re insured with same company.

FYI only!

T

1586410173926.jpg

• Like 1

If minor damage a reputable body repair shop (find one that’s insurance company registered) will repair to high standard for about Thb 2,000/panel or less. Wouldn’t bother claiming on insurance as premium does go up, not by much but remember you’ll be paying that enhanced premium while you own the car.

• Like 1

I had an insurance policy with a no claim discount of 60%. Recently I had an accident and decided to claim on insurance. Repairs were around 20,000 baht. 

I expected a hefty increase in policy but was pleasantly surprised where my no claim had only dropped from 60% to 40% and policy went up around 1000 baht.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 7:11 AM, SaggyRat said:

1 ... Car, (Isuzu Muy7 10 years old), in ex wife name, divorce = 50/50 split...no contact so car still used by me in her name.

2 ... I pay for tax and insurance every year (same insurance Co for over 10 years - no claims. (Insurance accepts my payments for the vehicle in my ex's name).

3 ... Nov 2019 my mate borrows car to collect his kids from school. Gets rear ended and pushed into Minibus in front - see pic. Everyone advised. Other driver at fault (admitted to Police). No injuries. My insurance will cover.

4 ... Insurance Co says ok for car rental during car repair period (Nov 2019 thro' Mar 2020)

5 ... Car repaired and returned insurance fully cover costs here ... during this time tax and insurance have expired. Tax renewed no problem there.

6 ... Insurance renewal ... Insurance Co want an additional 3k over last's years renewal price (up from 29K to 32K approx ... sorry I forget the exact numbers).

7 ... My insurance claim ... Insurance will not pay 100% of car hire charges because the vehicle is in ex wife's name ... (Hire costs were >30K) ... Insurance only offered 22K settlement and the settlement was split 50/50 (11K each between me and the ex) !?!

I had no options and went with the flow ... re insured with same company.

FYI only!

T

1586410173926.jpg

OMG, I hope nobody suffered. So, the settlement is split 50/50 even if only you pay for tax and not your ex?

On 8/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, scorecard said:

As a general comment, vehicle insurance rates here (also health insurance and more) are not cheap.

One reason is the large presence of insurance fraud. 

In Thailand, I paid 5500 baht a year for liability cover with high limits.  The car was too old to get comprehensive (1st class).  In the USA, I payed 10x as much for the same coverage limits.  Even when I changed insurance to a lower cost provider, I'm still paying 6x as much as I paid in Thailand- for the same liability limits.

Thai health insurance may be more expensive than the free coverage in countries under NHS schemes, but it's about 1/5 to 1/10 the cost of health insurance here in the USA.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Well, I pay $ 1,989 a year for insurance. Unluckily, once I got into an accident. I hit a motorcyclist, but it was his fault. There was no need to run the red light. There was no dashboard cam, so I could not prove my guilt and there were lengthy proceedings with the police. Neither my insurance company nor his confirmed the insured event due to the fact that the case was delayed. In the end, I won the case, and the motorcyclist tried to get the his money through a motorcycle attorney los Angeles. By the way, his repair cost $ 1,000.

Edited by salivan67
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, holy cow cm said:

If you claim now then you need a good excuse as insurance for most boo boo's needs to have their rep called on the spot, with some considerations as maybe you did not notice it until you got home as you now see someone hit you. If it is just a small scrape and nothing big, you might just want to do it yourself. Why don't you take it really quick to a repair shop and have them tell you how much before you make your decision. First class insurance runs you how much? 20k +/-? And yes it is easy to change insurance companies.

When I tried to change my first class insurance company on my motorbike insurance one time, my quote was about double what my present insurance companies, so that makes it obvious that my no claims bonus does not follow me the way it did in the UK.

Is it only Thai insurance companies that carry on like this?

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I tried to change my first class insurance company on my motorbike insurance one time, my quote was about double what my present insurance companies, so that makes it obvious that my no claims bonus does not follow me the way it did in the UK.

Is it only Thai insurance companies that carry on like this?

I don’t know but we have insurance companies calling ya now to get our business for our truck and car. One is a couple of thousand baht lower but all are around 20k per year. Bike insurance is cheap. 

The new car insurance I got with Roojai is cheaper and has more coverage. Of course, the proof will be when/if we have to make a claim. So nothing followed us. It's true, it was my wife who had the bang-up and it is I who is now named as main driver. Not sure if that came into play or not.