date palm tree

On 9/3/2020 at 10:39 PM, moby191 said:

I have a small plantation about  380 palms. 

If your planning on growing for fruit you need to buy palms that have been grown from tissues culture or a spur.

Dates grown from seed take up to 7 years to produce dates and there is a good chance they will be bitter.

Ours are 3 years old and have just started to produce dates,we have 70% female and 30 male palms.

I think from the top of my head we paid 800 baht per palm including planting fertiliser for one year.

The company si that sold the palms have supported use with any issues regarding growing l.

1599147298081.jpg

1599147401125.jpg

1599147167167.jpg

Thanks for that ,we have a few date palms ,grown from seed ,now about 3 years old ,so we have a way to go.

A guy near me has some dart palms not certain how old they. I think 5 years old . the trunks are more like coconut palms not like yours ,must be variety ? grown from seed ?some have fruit on very sweet they are to. 

14 hours ago, kickstart said:

Thanks for that ,we have a few date palms ,grown from seed ,now about 3 years old ,so we have a way to go.

A guy near me has some dart palms not certain how old they. I think 5 years old . the trunks are more like coconut palms not like yours ,must be variety ? grown from seed ?some have fruit on very sweet they are to. 

Would you please advice on what address did you buy your palm trees ? 

thanks 

On 9/7/2020 at 11:46 AM, ivan from buayai said:

Would you please advice on what address did you buy your palm trees ? 

thanks 

I got mine from a Thai friend of mine , as 6 inch seedlings, he grew them from seed ,where he got the seeds from I do not know .

He did grow some from seed ,seeds coming from a box of imported dates, they grew ,but will they have any fruit ,did wonder? (not very clued-up on dates ),if they are F1 seed stock only growing for one generation, like corn ,plant will grow but no cobs.  

On 9/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, kickstart said:

I got mine from a Thai friend of mine , as 6 inch seedlings, he grew them from seed ,where he got the seeds from I do not know .

He did grow some from seed ,seeds coming from a box of imported dates, they grew ,but will they have any fruit ,did wonder? (not very clued-up on dates ),if they are F1 seed stock only growing for one generation, like corn ,plant will grow but no cobs.  

THanks ...generaly from 10 seeds is about less han one have a chance to get female . On other hand if you get female the fruit is not a same as its mother . It s possible to have a identical tree from a offshoot or tissue planting . Thats why I am looking for tissue . In Thailand  if I find some its bloody expensive . ( 2500 bth for little baby ) growen from a tissue ..Someone on forum mention he got his tissue for about 800 bth . If you go to Pakistan or so , over there they sell offshoots which will gives you fruit in maybe 3 years time for about little less than 400 bth . In thailand offshoots 5000  - 10 000 bth   Work it out . Its not Holland but Tha tulip buble in present time 

• Haha 1

My wife is growing them from seeds. She has about 100 going right now. She tells me there are multiple posts on youtube talking about success using seedlings. I do not know about you guys, but when I see a rip off like the 2,500 to 10,000 baht offshoots, I run for the hills! Homey does not play the piracy game!

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My wife is growing them from seeds. She has about 100 going right now. She tells me there are multiple posts on youtube talking about success using seedlings. I do not know about you guys, but when I see a rip off like the 2,500 to 10,000 baht offshoots, I run for the hills! Homey does not play the piracy game!

18 000,- baht for a 4 - 5 year old palm,  I saw on a farmer fair here in Chaiyaphum last time 

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

18 000,- baht for a 4 - 5 year old palm,  I saw on a farmer fair here in Chaiyaphum last time 

That is a bit insane. It I wanted to plant 20 trees, would I be willing to pay $12,000 for that? I do not think so. Will stick with seeds, and if that does not work, we will have some very pretty trees. 

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is a bit insane. It I wanted to plant 20 trees, would I be willing to pay $12,000 for that? I do not think so. Will stick with seeds, and if that does not work, we will have some very pretty trees. 

We bought 4 trees for 1000 of this size from the korat date foram linked i a previous post. And they sent in well wrapped in and protected by the mail. 

1AD1DBB8-9E11-44B3-9B70-E26DBD147727.jpeg

Edited by Tagged

21 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We bought 4 trees for 1000 of this size from the korat date foram linked i a previous post. And they sent in well wrapped in and protected by the mail. 

1AD1DBB8-9E11-44B3-9B70-E26DBD147727.jpeg

Is there any way to know if they were grown from seeds? How old are they now? 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not know how old or if its from seeds. If we see this working for us, we will go down there and get some more information and learn how they do it, and what we can do. This is just a test for now. 

But they said in 3 years we would have fruit. 

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

I do not know how old or if its from seeds. If we see this working for us, we will go down there and get some more information and learn how they do it, and what we can do. This is just a test for now. 

But they said in 3 years we would have fruit. 

My wife has sprouted the seeds in a dark cabinet, in a Tupperware container. Then she transplants them to a small plastic sleeve with soil. We will see if it works. 

20200910_160612.jpg

20200910_160558.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, spidermike007 said:

My wife has sprouted the seeds in a dark cabinet, in a Tupperware container. Then she transplants them to a small plastic sleeve with soil. We will see if it works. 

20200910_160612.jpg

20200910_160558.jpg

have found some on internet , didnt check them how genuine they are but tissue plant sels for about 2000 till about 3000 bth .https://www.facebook.com/1000Pruksafarm/

I didnt get them yet but I think will get 5 female and one male for start . Need to prepare soild and watering for them . 

Also have been tolad there is univeristy in chaing rai they sell some kind of tissue ..but dont have address yet . and price was told 2400 bth 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, spidermike007 said:

my opinion you waste your precious time and energy with dates from a seeds ..the first thing ..the wont be same mother , you have to wait about 6 to 10 years to know if you have male or female and fruit as well .

Just wanted to add to the tissue once ...was told there is many fake onces on market ( sellers say tissue , but is infact from a seed )

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2020 at 2:27 AM, ivan from buayai said:

Would you please advice what farm or laboratory did youbuy tissue palms ?  Thanks 

Siam S1 tel 083 189 9199

On 9/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, spidermike007 said:

I paid 800 for small clones 3 years ago they have just started to fruit.

Tel no is 0831899199 thai only

The Saim S1 group are they helpful with planting and on farm training.

We did have to set up irrigation pipes for the small plants and there is a fertilizer schedule for the palms s1 group will provide feeding schedual .  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, moby191 said:

Siam S1 tel 083 189 9199

I paid 800 for small clones 3 years ago they have just started to fruit.

Tel no is 0831899199 thai only

The Saim S1 group are they helpful with planting and on farm training.

We did have to set up irrigation pipes for the small plants and there is a fertilizer schedule for the palms s1 group will provide feeding schedual .  

thanks ..when you say clones ..it means tissue ?

have been looking outside of thailand ..found Pakistan they sell for about 5 usd or less offshoots . I am still looking how to import few off them ..Was told there is no tax and is not prohibited item . And need to get Phyto certificate ...this needs to be issued in country where it is exported from and needs to be pressent to custom at import country in my case thailand . 

When you have tissue and wont be able to manage get from out of thailand ..would you be keen to sell me some offshuts when your dates are ready for it . ? 

I think to pay 2500 bth for little tissue is just was to much ...

thanks 

or ? the number is for the farm where you got them from ? ..will try to call there ..thanks 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi all,

I have a date palm tree who is sick. There are hard spots on the back of leafs. New leafs grow clean but after a while they develop the same spots. I uploaded photos.  Please if anybody has seen this before ? if knows which type of disease and if it can be cured or not ?  

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-18 at 12.15.20.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-18 at 12.15.24.jpg

10 hours ago, Liviu2023 said:

Hi all,

I have a date palm tree who is sick. There are hard spots on the back of leafs. New leafs grow clean but after a while they develop the same spots. I uploaded photos.  Please if anybody has seen this before ? if knows which type of disease and if it can be cured or not ?  

Possibility: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pestalotiopsis_palmarum#:~:text=Pestalotiopsis palmarum is the causative,sometimes bud rot of palms.

General information:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PP142

See "management" notes. Consider all factors, especially the soil and possible nutrient deficiencies as a contributing factor.