Botanical garden in Rayong to be developed as EEC tourist attraction

webfact

By THE NATION

800_df91b910c6d1792.jpg?v=1598805840

The Rayong Botanical Garden will be developed as a tourist attraction in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC).

Last week, officials from the Pid Thong Lang Phra Foundation took government executives to the Rayong Botanical Garden, during their mobile meeting in the province.

The foundation chief, Wanchana Boonchai, informed the executives that the idea for creating botanical gardens in the country came from the Queen Mother.

The first botanical garden emerged in Chiang Mai province, before the Botanical Garden Organisation built more gardens, he added.

The botanical gardens also host educational and conservation centres of endangered species. The Rayong Botanical Garden was built on an area of Bueng Samnak Yai, or Samnak Yai Marsh.

Wanchana added that there were numerous plant species in the province, which needed to be conserved and studied, such as rare orchids.

He added that the botanical garden aimed to be a tourist attraction in the EEC area with a Bt50-million budget.

In addition, the head mentioned that one of the centre’s important activities was to study and propagate bulrushes, a local plant in Rayong’s Klaeng district, which are similar to papyruses in appearance.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393754

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-31

• Haha 1

New Botanical Gardens - they won't require water, right?

The agricultural industry and the EEC already conflict and compete for limited water resources with no immediate solutions in sight (if one disregards allowing a reduction in farming to give EEC priority). But studies are allegedly being done after the fact (Prayut established the EEC originally withou regard to any environmental assessment) to reconcile farming with EEC water needs.

But now botanical gardens?

Might as well add a couple of water parks.

• Like 2

In America, we have privately funded conservation organizations, such as The Nature Conservancy.  They purchase ecologically significant property—often very large tracts.  Sometimes they even buy foreign land.  They never develop the land—they simply save it for posterity.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

New Botanical Gardens - they won't require water, right?

The agricultural industry and the EEC already conflict and compete for limited water resources with no immediate solutions in sight (if one disregards allowing a reduction in farming to give EEC priority). But studies are allegedly being done after the fact (Prayut established the EEC originally withou regard to any environmental assessment) to reconcile farming with EEC water needs.

But now botanical gardens?

Might as well add a couple of water parks.

The Rayong one is already there, it has plenty water - well kind of a marsh with a few bits of open water.

It is interesting for a look around ....... but tourist hotspot....hmmm??

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Nice they make tourist attraction EVERY PLACE! Prison's, garden's ..... you name it! Every place is tourist attraction ! WHITOUT TOURIST! Don't have any other "money hole" ? Yeah there is SUBMARINE'S!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

In America, we have privately funded conservation organizations, such as The Nature Conservancy.  They purchase ecologically significant property—often very large tracts.  Sometimes they even buy foreign land.  They never develop the land—they simply save it for posterity.

Not when Donny Boy Crunt get a smell of it. He'll want to build a new hotel and golf course. He's not interested in 'posterity', only the 'now' and how he can make money from it.

6 hours ago, tyga said:

We have been visiting there for about 6 years since we discovered it and it is one of the last remaining unspoiled wetlands in the East of Thailand. Full of bird life and pristine and the nearest place to us in Ban Chang to go if you want solitude and peace and quiet in a natural setting. Honestly, there is nowhere else left nearer to go to for a pleasant nature walk and this WAS it.... Just a few locals hiding and fishing there but nothing to worry about. Last week, we went there again and the destruction has started! Already long tailed boats whizzing through the water,  and kayaks (acceptable) but then there are hoards of cars, loud music, the food vendors and all the other market hustle and bustle that has no place in a conservation area. Already a noticeable increase in litter (masks, drinking straws, bottles) left behind by the selfie brigade. No farang except me and my friend so don't blame us for this one! The guys hustling the boats were shouting and doing their usual ordering around, not at all pleasant or relaxing. When I pointed out that the noise and boats were disturbing the birds, suddenly, he is David Attenborough and declared the birds are not here this season. Makes you want to weep! The beach and all the noisy <deleted> that they have imposed on that area of Rayong is apparently not enough for these idiots. I really do despair for this country, I am convinced it is going backwards when it comes to conservation. It is very heart breaking to witness.

This area is in my back yard, really sad to see what is going on, they recently built a road through the backend and also an airport for skydiving which has no customers, my peace and solitude are rapidly going away, so sad, everyday when I take the dogs for walks I can fill up a trash bag full of garbage, a lot of people are fishing in it with the addition of the new access road and they all leave there garbage everywhere