We have bats!

rak sa_ngop

There is a now huge tree outside my condo back entrance which has come into fruit. Small round 'berries' that do not look appetising to me but have attracted large numbers of bats to screech and fly around all night starting at dusk. I looked out of my condo balcony 2 nights ago and saw a large black shape flapping past me. I have now managed to get a photo of one hanging from one of the tree branches and they are big buggers. Not like the small bats I have seen at sunset in other Asian locations. And the surprising thing is that my condo is in the centre of Bangkok, just off Silom road.

Any bat experts out there?

20200829_203624[1].jpg

• Like 2

Most likely the bats will be flying over the Chaophraya river from Bang Krachao or the area near Pra Samut Chedi where the bats roost in the mangrove forests. They come over for food. You can watch them from the river bank near Pak Nam. Hundreds of them fly over at dusk. A beautiful sight. I think they are Lyle's Fox bats. The tree could be Dta-cob farang (Calabura or Strawberry tree) and the bats are there for the fruit.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Got up today at the end of the night and saw a full moon descending from my balcony in inner Bangkok. Then black figures went whizzing by at balcony level, about 10 metres off the ground. Can't be birds, surely, must be bats, I thought. How they speed!

36 minutes ago, sprq said:

Got up today at the end of the night and saw a full moon descending from my balcony in inner Bangkok. Then black figures went whizzing by at balcony level, about 10 metres off the ground. Can't be birds, surely, must be bats, I thought. How they speed!

Don't know about Thai bats but Brazilian free tail bats have been clocked at 160 kph.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:54 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I used to live near a bat cave when I lived in Thailand there was

10 million bats coming out every night and back in the morning.

They never hurt any one.

Bats everywhere in caves and around my Moobaan in Chiang mai.

every evening they are flying around catching insects.

I went into a cave a couple of weeks back and this little guy was drinking water drips inches from my head.

IMG_20201222_105925.jpg