Buying milk to put in tea and coffee

bluesofa

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Go to the cold drinks cabinet and see if it's in there, and if it isn't, then they don't sell it. Most mom & pa shops only sell UHT milk as it has a long shelf life. Never use UHT milk to make tea. ????

I know what you mean. However, I sometimes have to buy the a small carton of the UHT when visiting a friend of another (unstated!) nationality.

The smaller shops often have everything behind the counter, hence my asking, and interest in how Thais perceive types of milk differently.

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've always put milk in tea. It's the way I was dragged brought up.

Perhaps coming from the midlands we were used to showing off that we had money, not like you the impoverished north.

We always used to put milk in tea in Ashton-under-Lyne.

• Haha 2

Im not tea drinker, but my morning not start if im not get my morning coffee! Always put milk but never sugar! Almost all Thai coffee taste sht! Have bring coffee from Finland but its over long time ago! Now drink here Moccona gold. Find that has best taste.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveK said:

Thai coffee isn't good. Neither is the meat. Or their vegetables. Plus the beer sucks. You must be here for the poontang, which is decent. 

Thai just don't understand how should sell beef meat! They not "rare" cook that and its like chewing gum!

Good can find even some eatable from Makro. Vegetables has get some much fertilizer, like carrot is size of baseball bat!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Poontang???? Explain please.????????

Colin you are a lovely guy, and I love your posts. But sometimes you are either a bit naive or are baiting me. Poontang is something which Thai girls call their "shells", you or I would say vagina. 

• Haha 1

Also Thai's are not the most concerned folk about keeping fresh milk cold even after delivery.

Who know how long a crate of milk has been sitting at the depot, not moved from cold room to cold room .... even in 7=11 fridges it doesn't seem very cold and milk should be very cold. 

Anyway,  the nearest taste to fresh milk I found was the Meiiji brand,  but not the tiny small bottle, only the mid size 450ml .  Others seem to taste funny, and not like milk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

They don't keep anything cold correctly. They don't repair things properly. They don't treat workers properly, either. They use too many agricultural chemicals. They don't drive properly. But the poontang is good.

You can continue that list forever lol. You forget : how they treat farang's ! ????

Dairy is only a recent thing in most of Asia and hasnrt really spread beyond western style supermarkets.

I recall backpacking through Thailand in the 1980s and milk didnt exist except for tinned or powdered. For many Thais, that is milk. My wife had never bought a carton of milk in her life until we lived together, it didnt exist.

Lots of Asians are lactose intolerant, having not grown up with milk as part of their diet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dairy is only a recent thing in most of Asia and hasnrt really spread beyond western style supermarkets.

I recall backpacking through Thailand in the 1980s and milk didnt exist except for tinned or powdered. For many Thais, that is milk. My wife had never bought a carton of milk in her life until we lived together, it didnt exist.

Lots of Asians are lactose intolerant, having not grown up with milk as part of their diet.

I agree about not finding milk here years ago. I remember my first year in Thailand in 1990 finding milk and coffee in Foodland in Patpong one afternoon.

The lactose intolerance must not be as common as it used to be, the kids have milk at school now - even if it is only UHT/longlife stuff.

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I agree about not finding milk here years ago. I remember my first year in Thailand in 1990 finding milk and coffee in Foodland in Patpong one afternoon.

Nowadays it's easier to find milk than poontang, and that's saying something!

And big milk is 44 baht in 7-Eleven.