Buying milk to put in tea and coffee

bluesofa

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The two I know:

Light blue -  semi-skimmed

Dark blue  -  ordinary pasteurised

White top is fat-free, I think.  Never buy it myself.  

I think that Black top is the same as Dark Blue, from certain brands.

I have my favourite brands but I guess no one wants to know about them.  Meiji is the most like ‘standard UK milk’ but others taste a little creamier to me, having ‘a more continental style’ that I prefer.

[I drink about a litre per day, but unadulterated by tea.]

I use cream the heavy cream they sell in the stores, well the bog box ones.  Its a little pricey, but adds extra flavor to my Coffee or my Earl grey. Maybe this is why my cholesterol is up, better stop and go back to plain old black coffee, but then I am afraid of the old saying "Once you go black you never go back"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I often buy 'nom dip' raw milk at the Thai-Danish dairy in CM.

Goes great in your tea and good to drink as well (about 130bht for 5Kg).

In what sense is it raw?  Entire and unprocessed?

And is it actually sold in kg, rather than litres?

TIA for extra info.

Edited by PGSan
courtesy!

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Bluesofa your gonna have a BIG problem if/ when you visit me.

Putting milk in tea.... Yuk, why adulterate a good cuppa tea with milk?

Same with coffee, real coffee that is.
Even with that most "coffee" places don't provide cold water with black coffee or plain tea with cappuccino.
Luckily where I live near a small market town south of Khon Kaen there is a real coffee place, ( no snacks other than cake or biscuit ), they even have Turkish and a wide range of other coffees from Latin America, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Laos, Africa.    Also tea from coffee flowers.

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I use cream the heavy cream they sell in the stores, well the bog box ones.  Its a little pricey, but adds extra flavor to my Coffee or my Earl grey. Maybe this is why my cholesterol is up, better stop and go back to plain old black coffee, but then I am afraid of the old saying "Once you go black you never go back"

Agree 100% with "Once you go black ...

8 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I was waiting to tell bs that 7-11s everywhere and they do all the milk you need.

I shall go no further.

Ha ha! Please go further! So far no one has replied to my OP about the Thai perception of different types of milk:

Nom sod (นมสด)  and  nom jud (นมจืด) - plain milk 

I did consider posting it in the Thai language forum, but thought it was maybe a cultural difference.

1 minute ago, cleopatra2 said:

Carnations comes in 2 varieties. One is condensed,  the thick sweet milk and an a normal type of runny milk.

The cans are very similar in appearance but are available in the sticks.

Ah, thanks for that, I didn't realise there were two.

I only know the first one you mentioned, having had it poured on tinned fruit when I was a kid.

Having said that, the second type you've mentioned isn't my understanding of 'fresh milk'.

In my experience low income Thais (I don't know any other kind) don't use milk because they don't drink tea or coffee at home. Well possibly coffee a little bit. Or eat breakfast cereal. So not much demand in rural areas. Get used to it. ????

Edited by rott

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So 100 km drive to get some fresh milk to put in tea. 5555555555555

You have to go shopping some times, right? Or are you the stay at home and not go out scared of the Thai population type?

I buy 5 l milk and go shopping once a week. No problem. The milk is perfect even after 10-12 days.

So, now you can continue your laugh. ???? 

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife's village was a one hour ( very fast ) one way drive to the nearest convenience store like 7-11. Two hours on the bus.

So back at you.

Was? How far is it today? Better up, just name the village. ???? 

If you do not wish to do that, I will suggest that you and your wife put on the thinking hat and starts to be a little bit more inventive.

What about a regular village shop? What about some restaurants around. Maybe small but still at place to eat
, right? What does that tell you?

I promise you that you not need to be on Expedition Robinson to figure that one out.

Edited by Matzzon

I don't like to make my own coffee or tea, unless absolutely essential. TBH, that's what ladies are for.

Putting milk into tea is not good. When tea first arrived in England, the milk was always put in first, to chill the cup. The trend now, that is to put the milk in afterwards is just lazy tea making.

When I'm not supping my reishi wine, I have a coffee (3 in 1) and if tea then brown sugar, or molasses, and coffee-mate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't like to make my own coffee or tea, unless absolutely essential. TBH, that's what ladies are for.

Putting milk into tea is not good. When tea first arrived in England, the milk was always put in first, to chill the cup. The trend now, that is to put the milk in afterwards is just lazy tea making.

When I'm not supping my reishi wine, I have a coffee (3 in 1) and if tea then brown sugar, or molasses, and coffee-mate.

If I drank that 3 in 1 coffee, my blood sugars would be sky high, just like buying a coffee yen from the boy on the cart that drives around, to much sugar, bust so dam good, I did like the coffee in the bag he made.

image.jpeg.7a07589e39521601a2b615c2c5f7724f.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Long Life Milk in my book is a molecule short of plastic!

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world".

Never known a wine to be philosophical, unless after your <deleted> drunk you talk to the bottle.  Well then Sir "you has got a problem" as my ex-thai wife would say 

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha, do you ever think you might have a death wish!

As I point out to Mrs Owl. I check the oil in the pick-up and put in a little if it seems low. In return it's her job to keep the ants out of the food and make the drinks. It all works fine most of the month, then sometimes gets complicated. I say to her; "Call yourself a clever Isaan woman? You can't tell whether you are putting salt or sugar into my cup of Rosy."

Anyway, the ceiling is a little low in the kitchen, near the sink, so best to stay away. Don't know how I'm gonna fix the broken tiles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go to Vietnam and see what tea with no milk can do to your teeth. Vietnamese are amongst the highest tea drinkers in the world. Even if you order a coffee you may get a glass of tea with it. And their teeth are permanently stained with tannin ( or whatever). The worst in SE Asia (apart from betel nut chewing Burmese). I reckon milk helps to neutralise the tannin staining.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:
4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Bluesofa your gonna have a BIG problem if/ when you visit me.

Putting milk in tea.... Yuk, why adulterate a good cuppa tea with milk?

I've always put milk in tea. It's the way I was dragged brought up.

Perhaps coming from the midlands we were used to showing off that we had money, not like you the impoverished north.

So you was brought up with the royal Doulton with the hand painted periwinkles. ????

I'm now imagining you and Colin in the roles of Hyacinth and Elizabeth 555

I was also brought up with milk in our tea, sometime fresh milk from the farm next door.  Babytea I called it.

When I got older and bored with the tea scum left in the mug and decide that it was time to get rid of the 'baby' part of it,  it was then plain tea all the way for the rest of my life.

Mom still pours loads of milk in hers.

I start my day with coffee and (cow) milk, and that milk which is used only for coffee or scrambled eggs and pancakes comes from either BC or TL as long it has short shelf life not those long-shelf-life packs.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Go to the cold drinks cabinet and see if it's in there, and if it isn't, then they don't sell it. Most mom & pa shops only sell UHT milk as it has a long shelf life. Never use UHT milk to make tea. ????

I don't mind UHT milk as I've used it a lot in SEA where fresh milk is hard to come by - for example, the Philippines. The flavour does vary a lot by brand.

Edited by JensenZ

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Nom sod (นมสด) to me means fresh milk. Asking for that in a shop will usually get you a tin of Carnation (very) sweetened milk.

Explaining I want it to put in hot tea results in the shopkeeper agreeing, and still pointing to the Carnation milk.

I have to ask for nom jud (นมจืด) - plain milk. Often the small shops will only have Thai-Denmark UHT long-life milk in a blue carton, (although I still get offered the sweetened version of Thai-Denmark UHT milk in a green carton).

When i ordered nomsod-whannoi (นมสด หวานน้อย) I get the mix with evaporated milk. Which is not made with the thick sweetened milk but from those tin which is taller.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

In what sense is it raw?  Entire and unprocessed?

And is it actually sold in kg, rather than litres?

TIA for extra info.

Unpasteurized, sold by 5Kg weight in plastic bags.

Can't let it hang around though, it goes off in about 3 days, so drink, freeze or turn into cheese.

32 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

When i ordered nomsod-whannoi (นมสด หวานน้อย) I get the mix with evaporated milk. Which is not made with the thick sweetened milk but from those tin which is taller.

Thanks.

That also seems to support that Thais see evaporated milk as 'fresh', but I'd be interested to find how that came about.

Perhaps it is just a language thing.