Tourism minister finally recognises that "virus free" expats can play important role in tourism recovery

webfact

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Seems  so ! 

I also object  to being forced to learn to play  golf while my wife  goes shopping  unsupervised and unrestricted !

I don't normally laugh out loud, but this comment did the trick.

3 minutes ago, alyx said:

I was under the impression that the TM30 was not to be done every time one leaving then going back home as long as it is considered as it is a holiday

Any hotel will re-register you and you have to do a TM30 again when returning home. No way around it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Expats always over estimate the effect they have on Thailand......

To have any effect on tourism they have to significantly increase there spending and as most are on a fixed income, that amount is unlikely to increase very much.

Figures for the numbers of expats....including those working .... range from 150k to 500 k but the latter includes very low income from ASEAN countries .

So even if they all went on holiday in Thailand for 2 weeks and took a family that would mean 2 million for two weeks against 40 million over the year.

Of course the money they spend on holiday is then lost to local businesses etc whilst they are away.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i'm doing my part right now.

staying in a hotel in Bangkok 100 meters from Crazy House. 

been here for 2 months and booked until October.

I could never get a spot in Crazy House, are you ringside?

Are they doing online bookings now?

• Haha 1

What about all the retired expats? I live in Khon Kaen and have for 10 years and will be heading to Hua Hin for a 2 week vaction this month. This is in addition to a 2 week holiday I took in March on Jomtien.

The domestic tourism stimulus package resulted in a 27% drop in domestic Thai tourism! So now we must be milked to fill that hole? There is absolutely no way that I am traveling anywhere until I have been vaccinated, and then my travel will not be in Thailand because "been there done that". So mister Minister go find another way to prop up what the Bank of Thailand refers to as the imploding tourism business. 

2 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Why Bangkok?

I was thinking why Bangkok myself. I avoid Bangkok year round except for winter season when the weather is bearable. The humidity at this time of year is unbearable.....and how many sidewalks that are like obstacle courses do you want to see?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

To have any effect on tourism they have to significantly increase there spending and as most are on a fixed income, that amount is unlikely to increase very much.

Figures for the numbers of expats....including those working .... range from 150k to 500 k but the latter includes very low income from ASEAN countries .

So even if they all went on holiday in Thailand for 2 weeks and took a family that would mean 2 million for two weeks against 40 million over the year.

Of course the money they spend on holiday is then lost to local businesses etc whilst they are away.

Many of the people I come into contact with don't even have the 800,000 or 400,000 to deposit in the bank. They pay 25000 to agents to get them visas and then live like paupers. These folks are not contributing much to the economy. If I was poor I wouldn't want to be living in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

they are slow there  , iv been spending my money in thailand since 1978.  ,they just noticed ,so pleased 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Many have criticized the tourism ministry for providing stimulus measures and promotions for Thais but ignoring the potential of the foreigners living in Thailand.

It's not only that they're ignoring expats / foreigners. By doing that and trying to get Thais to travel, they're ignoring all of the businesses and destinations that rely mainly on foreign tourists (and expats). Of course there is overlap but a lot of businesses cater specifically to Thai travelers, while others cater specifically to foreigners. The latter are being left out in the cold. 

49 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Not quite true. If I take a break for a few days or more in another place in Thailand I still have to pay my rent, TV, Wi Fi at home.

I will be eating out on holiday, drinking more, spending on tourist attractions and travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kelsall said:
4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Why Bangkok?

Well, good time for a poll.   Oh,  we love polls 

a. done had every lady in HH already

b. found out that 2 houses were not enough to escape the wrath of a female

c. uhhh,  some "slight misunderstanding" forced me to relocate take a vacation

d. heard there was a good language school nearby ????????

e. wanted to be closer to TV headquarters in case there was a recount

f. all of the above

• Haha 2

40Thb meal/7/11 Chang beer expats/tourists wont save Thai economy. Demand 3000$ per month funds and Covid insurance for every foreigner entering the country. If they dont spend 3000$ per month, seize their money. Thailand dont need mongering cheap Charlies.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, upena said:

What about all the retired expats? I live in Khon Kaen and have for 10 years and will be heading to Hua Hin for a 2 week vaction this month. This is in addition to a 2 week holiday I took in March on Jomtien.

You need to go back to school to become truly recognised....think of all the benefits....acne, racing hormones, explosive temper....more Thai like than ever before!!!

I think this says less about recognising the desirability of expats in Thailand and more about the fact that they have realised true tourists are t going to be coming anytime soon, so expats already here is all they have got. Doesn’t change the rankings on the totem pole at all.