Why the discrimination against retirees in Thailand?

Trujillo

Adapt...enrol to learn Thai if you are so desperate. Some retirees will turn into "volunteers" past Sept 26.

My retirement visa is about to expire but so far I don't have enough motivation yet to do any of the above. Sooner or later they'll open the borders in a semi-normal way again.

• Like 1

"....I would really love to see someone in the media or from an embassy or consulate publicly confront government officials with this issue. As another stated above you can take up this banner and run with it.What is this rank discrimination based on and how is it justified? You are a minority foreigner in a country that doesn't care if you are here or not. More importantly, when can we expect the government to do the right thing and treat us with equal fairness? Just as soon as you get the right to vote or bring in millions of baht to the government coffers. When will I be able to get a FOUR YEAR VISA extension? You can get a multi-year visa now through elite visa program. When can I be allowed to leave and legally re-enter Thailand? you can leave and re-enter as you please with purchase of multi-rentry permt...."

Quite frankly, these "problems" are so low on the Thai pecking order no one cares.  And with little cash and paper work there is solution to all your complaints today.

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

The thread is a little embarrassing to be honest.

If you want equal rights stay at your privileged first world country.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately very few seem to understand it.

If one decide to settle down in an undeveloped third world country, 'degrade' your self and live happily ever after. No, you will never enjoy the 'bliss' of the developed first world. 

• Confused 2

38 minutes ago, ravip said:

A working foreign population contributes more to the country than a retiree. All retirees are not millionaires either. Some are struggling financially.

I don't agree. Retirees bring in a lot of money and it usually gets spent, whereas foreign workers are younger and more likely to save their money. Retirees come in and buy real estate for cash. Foreign workers on salaries would not be buying real estate for cash.

Sure, there are expats doing it tough, but there are a lot of foreign workers making peanuts.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's be realistic: What do retirees contribute to Thailand? A little money, probably a lot less than tourists.

And at the same time some retirees create headache and cost for Thailand like unpaid medical bills.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you and many others like to live her. But look at it from Thailand's point of view.

And Thailand is not unique in that way. Many (all?) countries are more interested in experts for their expertise and tourists for their money.

My home country (USA) doesn't even have a retiree visa option.  So the OP should be thankful he's even allowed that in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

This a trumped up version of the flaccid non-argument, "If you don't like it, leave."  Sorry I had to waste two sentences on it. 

At least you have a choice, something you take for granted.

Again, what did you expect moving into a country that will never make you a citizen?

I am grateful that I get year after year my ret. ext. at the cost of 1900 baht in a flash handling at Jomtien desk 8 ….. 1900 / 365 = 5,205 Baht a day ...

Every time I check the whereabouts of passport , on page 9 : the extension permitted up to 22SEPT 2021 immigration stamp  is smiling to me ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

Just for comparison, what do you do, Keyser Soze666? Or are you even in Thailand? Armchair QB or have a stake; which is it? 

"Again, what did you expect moving into a country that will never make you a citizen?"

A reasonable amount of fair play. Is that asking for the moon? 

Edited by Trujillo

11 minutes ago, Pravda said:

The thread is a little embarrassing to be honest.

If you want equal rights stay at your privileged first world country.

Yes. It is embarrassing that people are so ignorant that they "retire here" expecting no discrimination.  Where did they get the idea that there was no discrimination here?  Is it normal delusion, chemically assisted or age related disease/deterioration ?  

• Like 1

I missed this, the discrimination against me is mostly positive. i'm lazy, so if they want to think I speak no Thai and I'm just an ATM machine, OK. Occasionaly a Thai will open up. I must admit my first two years here were pretty intense. Like girls telling me their innermost thoughts. When my main priority was just getting into their knickers.

Edited by nausea

28 minutes ago, david555 said:

I am grateful that I get year after year my ret. ext. at the cost of 1900 baht in a flash handling at Jomtien desk 8 ….. 1900 / 365 = 5,205 Baht a day ...

Every time I check the whereabouts of passport , on page 9 : the extension permitted up to 22SEPT 2021 immigration stamp  is smiling to me ????

Did you not get extended until the 26th September 2021 like the rest of us ????

OP you could always look into permanent residency though if you haven't worked in Thailand you may need to invest 10 million THB

41 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Isn't it obvious. He 'works' here, he isn't a bum wandering around looking lost in the world dressed in flip flops and a vest looking for cheap beer. The Thai gov don't care about your 20k a month, and rightly so.

Nothing wrong with me being a bum wandering around. I can afford it. Isn't that one of the main attractions of Thailand...go around with flip flops and shorts carefree?

I can probably get a work permit if I try, but why should I work for a Thai company paying me probably a fraction of what I get now working remotely for Western clients?

Retirement visas are not charity, they are business transactions with mutual benefit for both parties. If the Thais think they are not getting what they want, they can abandon the retirement visas or raise the financial requirements. On the other end retirees can move to another country if they think they get a better deal. It is a market.

However the current situation is a bit unfair, as the issuance of a retirement visa which is paid should be regarded as a contract and the Thais should fulfil their obligations. What about the O-A visa holders who paid for expensive Thai health insurance but now are stuck outside and can't use it?

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Did you not get extended until the 26th September 2021 like the rest of us ????

OP you could always look into permanent residency though if you haven't worked in Thailand you may need to invest 10 million THB

I just did the normally things needed to do as always before C19 ….., including my normal 90 day rapports , I was not needed to be under any amnesty or whatever named ….. 

Lucky guy's you all of you who got this " until the 26th September 2021 like the rest of us ????" as I had to pay  1900 baht for it …. you got it for free.... yeah that is real discrimination … ???? 555