Phuket Immigration says help coming for expats caught in permit-to-stay crisis

snoop1130

1 hour ago, transam said:

Me nasty, never, you may have your mum advising you.........????

Others finances, don't you remember what you have posted, you know, slagging fellow farangs off for not being well off like you, when you have know absolutely nothing about an individuals predicament.......?  ????

As I have told you before, and I am not slagging any fellow farangs for having hard times. I can surely understand an individuals predicament. No problem.

By the way, I just asked my mum. She approved of you, by saying her 90 year old birthday was the best she ever had. ????

However, back to the problems. The things is not that I do not understand about that people can fall into hardship. I am fully aware of that the pound has been falling from a high of around 90 baht per GBP, an regular of around 75 baht per GBP and now stands on only around 40-41 baht per GBP. That´s tragic, I get it. However, this is things that always happened trough history. Currencies and economy regarding all from the world market to individual countries falls and gains. What i am trying to say is, that it must exist a solid platform in life to fall back on.

However, what I want is for people to succeed in life and to be able to meet the requirements as well as being able to stay in Thailand with no need to leave their families and children, houses, cars or dogs or whatever it might be. Depending on age of a person or skills, I actually have some solid plans that might assist people that have problems today, to get back on top of their situation have a possibility to have the much needed 400k put aside within a timeframe of about 2 years. I know, It ain´t much of a gain to maybe only make 200k per year for two years, but it´s still a help. Still I haven´t found somebody willing to see it as a good thing though. To me that says, people are feeling better off complaining, than take care of their problems. ???? That makes me quite sad!

• Like 1

If I were a thai father I’d be pretty reluctant to hand over my thai daughter to a foreign man that could not meet 800k requirement to stay in Thailand. What a poor sod I’d be thinking for sure. 
Many Thais doesn’t think 800k is loads of money. 

Why complain more over this 800k than a university tuition fee, a car, or other things you can’t afford.  Just accept that this 800k is something not in your league that you can’t afford then and Just find something else cheaper to “buy”.

Its for sure not uncommon to not afford things in life to 800k.  And people tend to accept that. So what is it with this 800k some people seem to go mental over that they don’t have.  

I think it’s totally fair. Not having the 800k makes yourself at risk and people around you at risk if you end up in some situations. 
From what I’ve seen and experienced I’ll write to the immigration department asking them to up-it to 1,5 million bath in a locked account to get the riff raff out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

If I were a thai father I’d be pretty reluctant to hand over my thai daughter to a foreign man that could not meet 800k requirement to stay in Thailand. What a poor sod I’d be thinking for sure. 
Many Thais doesn’t think 800k is loads of money. 

Why complain more over this 800k than a university tuition fee, a car, or other things you can’t afford.  Just accept that this 800k is something not in your league that you can’t afford then and Just find something else cheaper to “buy”.

Its for sure not uncommon to not afford things in life to 800k.  And people tend to accept that. So what is it with this 800k some people seem to go mental over that they don’t have.  

I think it’s totally fair. Not having the 800k makes yourself at risk and people around you at risk if you end up in some situations. 
From what I’ve seen and experienced I’ll write to the immigration department asking them to up-it to 1,5 million bath in a locked account to get the riff raff out.

I've mentioned this before, and seems like it needs to be mentioned again. The average Thai makes 14k a month and does okay. Most farangs make at least twice that. People who have less money than maybe you have aren't riff raff, and they take better care of their wives and children than a majority do here. What advantage does a locked account have? Money is for spending, and of course having some savings always helps, in case of emergencies. What you may not realize is that millions of Thai daughters do NOT have fathers that do anything, let alone support them.

• Sad 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, fredwiggy said:

I've mentioned this before, and seems like it needs to be mentioned again. The average Thai makes 14k a month and does okay. Most farangs make at least twice that. People who have less money than maybe you have aren't riff raff, and they take better care of their wives and children than a majority do here. What advantage does a locked account have? Money is for spending, and of course having some savings always helps, in case of emergencies. What you may not realize is that millions of Thai daughters do NOT have fathers that do anything, let alone support them.

Your points makes absolutely no sense. I’ve seen the stuff foreigners has ran away from.  In those cases if they had 1,5 million in a locked account they would have had the option to fix things at least economically after their reckless behavior. As much as it will be for your own safety it’s for others safety as well.  

To argue what a thai earns is probably the dumbest thing to point out. Thais have their whole family here and will back up anyone of their own of their own family memebers who come into trouble.   And if not they have rights here. You have nothing of that. 

And don’t even go there with amounts of 30k or for that sake 40k saying any foreigner is living a good life here if having no other income. Thais making 15 k for sure doesn’t live in Bangkok having a good life.  15k is nothing in 2020 for a thai even you live in rural areas. One thing you seem to totally misunderstand is that if you earn 15k per month as a thai, all that 15k is not for spending! Anyone anywhere in the world NEED TO SET MONEY ASIDE to either harder times, savings for the future, repairs, homes or any unpredictable situations. 

Your post just shows you don’t understand the concept of money earnings and real life.  

To bring an assumption into a discussion saying a low earner farang making less than 30 k are taking better care of their wives is totally unheard of. Such statement has absolutely no base in reality.   

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

Your points makes absolutely no sense. I’ve seen the stuff foreigners has ran away from.  In those cases if they had 1,5 million in a locked account they would have had the option to fix things at least economically after their reckless behavior. As much as it will be for your own safety it’s for others safety as well.  

To argue what a thai earns is probably the dumbest thing to point out. Thais have their whole family here and will back up anyone of their own of their own family memebers who come into trouble.   And if not they have rights here. You have nothing of that. 

And don’t even go there with amounts of 30k or for that sake 40k saying any foreigner is living a good life here if having no other income. Thais making 15 k for sure doesn’t live in Bangkok having a good life.  15k is nothing in 2020 for a thai even you live in rural areas. One thing you seem to totally misunderstand is that if you earn 15k per month as a thai, all that 15k is not for spending! Anyone anywhere in the world NEED TO SET MONEY ASIDE to either harder times, savings for the future, repairs, homes or any unpredictable situations. 

Your post just shows you don’t understand the concept of money earnings and real life.  

To bring an assumption into a discussion saying a low earner farang making less than 30 k are taking better care of their wives is totally unheard of. Such statement has absolutely no base in reality.   

Actually it makes perfect sense. A farang doesn't have to live beyond their means nor does a local. If a local can get by on 14k a month, surely a farang can get by on 30 to 40K a month. Do you actually think the average Thai has a savings account with a lot of money in it? None that I've ever seen. Most just get by here as they do in every other country, including America. Things cost more in other countries,but people make more, and buy more expensive things. This is why the average American is 48K in debt, not counting a mortgage. Any farang living here that isn't a heavy drinker or buying women can get by nicely on 40K a month. More than that you can have more things. Im 64, and fully understand everything about earning money and a real life. You obviously don't understand that millions of people live on practically nothing, in every country, and especially here. All I've said is that if a local can get by on the average pay of 14K a month, a farang can do the same on 30K+ a month. Having any savings helps, but having 800,000K in a bank doing nothing until you die isn't helping anything. If anyone has reckless behavior they're doing it to themselves and of course they'd need more money. Living frugally, smart and not wasting money isn't the same thing. Many Thais make more than the average of 14K, but many don't make anything besides the 600 baht they get a month as 60 year old plus farmers. That's why the average is 14K. Most workers in Isaan make an average of 200 baht a day, and sometimes up to 500. In the cities it's a little more. This wasn't anything to do with an argument of how much a Thai makes. It just pointed out that if they can live on 14K, a farang can also. Of course you need insurance in case anything happens, and medical here is either free or very cheap for locals. That's why 40K a month is enough. I don't personally know of any farang making less than 30K like you stated anyway. More money doesn't mean you're taking better care of you wife anyway. Car doesn't just come from money. If that was the case, millionaires would be the best husbands. The best husbands are those that firstly are faithful and loyal to their wives, provide for them and their children, treat them with love and respect, and help around the house. Money doesn't buy you any of those. Yes, many women here are just with their husbands for their money, which makes it look bad for those that actually love their husbands and don't look at them as walking ATM"S. Look up what Americans have as savings and it might surprise you that millions don't have that 25k USD that's required here to retire. It's easier here to retire and that's why many retire here. If you make the average of $1,500 a month in America, you'd just barely make ends meet if your house is paid off. Here you can retire on 40K a month and do fine, if you live within your means and not waste money. I don't know what you mean by a good life. To you it might be drinking daily, eating steaks and buying women. To me it means making the car payment, having food to eat and helping out at Mom's farm occasionally. This after the house has been built and is furnished. By the way, I have asked many people here , through my wife, how much savings they actually have, and it's very little. Farmers work all day long, almost every day of the year, and just get by with enough to pay the pickup payment, fertilizer, renting  a tractor and having food for the family. Most here in the village, and I'm sure it's the same all over Isaan, and rural Thailand, barter for things, for tractor rentals, rice and such. 600 baht a month for those 60 and over doesn't buy much, and trading gets them by. There are Thais that live in cities that make 30K or more a month, and that brings the average up, but there are millions here that barely get by, and especially now with Covid around, it's only getting harder. Simply, any farang can survive here on the 40K a month fine. With more you can buy more things, most of which you wouldn't need anyway. Except in emergencies or if you aren't insured. If you have car and health insurance, you shouldn't have a need for 25k USD in the bank if you have money coming in every month. Unless you haven't any health insurance and  don't take care of yourself.  If your country doesn't have Social Security, then you would need either a pension or a savings based on how you live. Calling people who have less money riff raff isn't just insulting but ignorance. Have you ever heard just how many fatherless children there are here? That was a point I made. And a farang that wants to oust other farangs because they don't make as much as you is a poor excuse for a human, and maybe a narcissist. Do you know how many Thai parents hand their daughters over to cheating, drunk, fat slobs that don't do anything but hand out money to show they "care"? Who can't or won't help out their wives around the house, or who don't accept their wives previous children as their own and don't bother with their own kids?

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually it makes perfect sense. A farang doesn't have to live beyond their means nor does a local. If a local can get by on 14k a month, surely a farang can get by on 30 to 40K a month. Do you actually think the average Thai has a savings account with a lot of money in it? None that I've ever seen. Most just get by here as they do in every other country, including America. Things cost more in other countries,but people make more, and buy more expensive things. This is why the average American is 48K in debt, not counting a mortgage. Any farang living here that isn't a heavy drinker or buying women can get by nicely on 40K a month. More than that you can have more things. Im 64, and fully understand everything about earning money and a real life. You obviously don't understand that millions of people live on practically nothing, in every country, and especially here. All I've said is that if a local can get by on the average pay of 14K a month, a farang can do the same on 30K+ a month. Having any savings helps, but having 800,000K in a bank doing nothing until you die isn't helping anything. If anyone has reckless behavior they're doing it to themselves and of course they'd need more money. Living frugally, smart and not wasting money isn't the same thing. Many Thais make more than the average of 14K, but many don't make anything besides the 600 baht they get a month as 60 year old plus farmers. That's why the average is 14K. Most workers in Isaan make an average of 200 baht a day, and sometimes up to 500. In the cities it's a little more. This wasn't anything to do with an argument of how much a Thai makes. It just pointed out that if they can live on 14K, a farang can also. Of course you need insurance in case anything happens, and medical here is either free or very cheap for locals. That's why 40K a month is enough. I don't personally know of any farang making less than 30K like you stated anyway. More money doesn't mean you're taking better care of you wife anyway. Car doesn't just come from money. If that was the case, millionaires would be the best husbands. The best husbands are those that firstly are faithful and loyal to their wives, provide for them and their children, treat them with love and respect, and help around the house. Money doesn't buy you any of those. Yes, many women here are just with their husbands for their money, which makes it look bad for those that actually love their husbands and don't look at them as walking ATM"S. Look up what Americans have as savings and it might surprise you that millions don't have that 25k USD that's required here to retire. It's easier here to retire and that's why many retire here. If you make the average of $1,500 a month in America, you'd just barely make ends meet if your house is paid off. Here you can retire on 40K a month and do fine, if you live within your means and not waste money. I don't know what you mean by a good life. To you it might be drinking daily, eating steaks and buying women. To me it means making the car payment, having food to eat and helping out at Mom's farm occasionally. This after the house has been built and is furnished. By the way, I have asked many people here , through my wife, how much savings they actually have, and it's very little. Farmers work all day long, almost every day of the year, and just get by with enough to pay the pickup payment, fertilizer, renting  a tractor and having food for the family. Most here in the village, and I'm sure it's the same all over Isaan, and rural Thailand, barter for things, for tractor rentals, rice and such. 600 baht a month for those 60 and over doesn't buy much, and trading gets them by. There are Thais that live in cities that make 30K or more a month, and that brings the average up, but there are millions here that barely get by, and especially now with Covid around, it's only getting harder. Simply, any farang can survive here on the 40K a month fine. With more you can buy more things, most of which you wouldn't need anyway. Except in emergencies or if you aren't insured. If you have car and health insurance, you shouldn't have a need for 25k USD in the bank if you have money coming in every month. Unless you haven't any health insurance and  don't take care of yourself.  If your country doesn't have Social Security, then you would need either a pension or a savings based on how you live. Calling people who have less money riff raff isn't just insulting but ignorance. Have you ever heard just how many fatherless children there are here? That was a point I made. And a farang that wants to oust other farangs because they don't make as much as you is a poor excuse for a human, and maybe a narcissist. Do you know how many Thai parents hand their daughters over to cheating, drunk, fat slobs that don't do anything but hand out money to show they "care"? Who can't or won't help out their wives around the house, or who don't accept their wives previous children as their own and don't bother with their own kids?

That was a long and unnecessary post. You are missing the point. 
the point is exactly in emergencies.   
I ve been living in Thailand for 30 years and have been around legal issues and business all my life.  My good friend is a lawyer in Thailand.  You don’t know what you are taking about at all.   
Definition of a good life is broad. 30-40k was not my idea but was what what’s argued about was only needed for a good life. Including down payments on cars, food, electric bills, housing, raising prices etc I believe 40k is nothing near a good life unless you had a terrible and poor life in your home country with few or near to none options there. 

If being in a relation with any woman it’s expected to have freedom to do certain things in life to explore the world a little through domestic and international travels. 

I’ll hit you with

this: To you it probably feels like you are in an adventure because you left your country. In thai you are living in a dream where all things are new and exciting. But that only goes for you. For your wife its not like that.  Maybe she would like to explore and see things?  Know stuff etc. But with a 40k farang I think her life just remains the same in all aspects of her earlier life.  A life just always looking inside the wallet of what’s there. 

To sum up.  The main problem is that you have few rights in Thailand when sh it hits the fan. That’s when you need your 800k

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

That was a long and unnecessary post. You are missing the point. 
the point is exactly in emergencies.   
I ve been living in Thailand for 30 years and have been around legal issues and business all my life.  My good friend is a lawyer in Thailand.  You don’t know what you are taking about at all.   
Definition of a good life is broad. 30-40k was not my idea but was what what’s argued about was only needed for a good life. Including down payments on cars, food, electric bills, housing, raising prices etc I believe 40k is nothing near a good life unless you had a terrible and poor life in your home country with few or near to none options there. 

If being in a relation with any woman it’s expected to have freedom to do certain things in life to explore the world a little through domestic and international travels. 

I’ll hit you with

this: To you it probably feels like you are in an adventure because you left your country. In thai you are living in a dream where all things are new and exciting. But that only goes for you. For your wife its not like that.  Maybe she would like to explore and see things?  Know stuff etc. But with a 40k farang I think her life just remains the same in all aspects of her earlier life.  A life just always looking inside the wallet of what’s there. 

To sum up.  The main problem is that you have few rights in Thailand when sh it hits the fan. That’s when you need your 800k

Not exactly a terrible and poor life in America. I had a house ,truck, two jobs and custody of my three children. A lot of wives here, including mine, have a skewed sense of what life is all about because some farangs here give their wives a lot of money, in a sense buying their love, which trickles down to the rest of the women here, who want the same thing. When you take a woman from a 200 baht a day job,living with her parents, with usually at least one child, with no future prospects because most Thai men will not go with a Thai woman with kids except for easy sex, and build them a house,buy a car, a scooter and have 40K coming in every month, that's a hell of a lot different than their former life. Some are greedy, because of what I said earlier, some farangs spoil their wives, and the rest want what they have. Nothing wrong with having money in the bank, as most of us farangs have. I was sticking up for those you call riff raff because they don't have that 800,000K in the bank. I would guess that's the situation for most here anyway, living on the 400,000K married or with the 40K coming in every month, no matter what you may hear from others here. Most people in the US save all year for a one week vacation somewhere. Which means that a lot of people don't have a lot of savings to begin with, at least there, where I lived 62 years. In my case, my wife has never left Thailand besides Laos and Cambodia. With me she will eventually go to Europe, and probably yearly visits to America, as long as I can secure her visa, which seems to be a problem for some here. By the way, I'm hardly living the "dream" here, as my wife is a tad greedy, especially seeing she had nothing before I met her, and I can't hunt or fish like I did back home. When I met her, she was making 200 baht a day,living with her ex's mom, with a child, and didn't have anything to call hger own. That's 400 baht a month, quite a difference from 40K, a house, car, faithful husband and father for our child, and a house full of things, including AC, something millions don't have here. And that greed will most likely ruin our family.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not exactly a terrible and poor life in America. I had a house ,truck, two jobs and custody of my three children. A lot of wives here, including mine, have a skewed sense of what life is all about because some farangs here give their wives a lot of money, in a sense buying their love, which trickles down to the rest of the women here, who want the same thing. When you take a woman from a 200 baht a day job,living with her parents, with usually at least one child, with no future prospects because most Thai men will not go with a Thai woman with kids except for easy sex, and build them a house,buy a car, a scooter and have 40K coming in every month, that's a hell of a lot different than their former life. Some are greedy, because of what I said earlier, some farangs spoil their wives, and the rest want what they have. Nothing wrong with having money in the bank, as most of us farangs have. I was sticking up for those you call riff raff because they don't have that 800,000K in the bank. I would guess that's the situation for most here anyway, living on the 400,000K married or with the 40K coming in every month, no matter what you may hear from others here. Most people in the US save all year for a one week vacation somewhere. Which means that a lot of people don't have a lot of savings to begin with, at least there, where I lived 62 years. In my case, my wife has never left Thailand besides Laos and Cambodia. With me she will eventually go to Europe, and probably yearly visits to America, as long as I can secure her visa, which seems to be a problem for some here. By the way, I'm hardly living the "dream" here, as my wife is a tad greedy, especially seeing she had nothing before I met her, and I can't hunt or fish like I did back home. When I met her, she was making 200 baht a day,living with her ex's mom, with a child, and didn't have anything to call hger own. That's 400 baht a month, quite a difference from 40K, a house, car, faithful husband and father for our child, and a house full of things, including AC, something millions don't have here. And that greed will most likely ruin our family.

Because you've made bad choices, don't expect others to do the same. I believe, 40K is the low end of survival for a foreign retiree in Thailand. When your gone will you have something to leave her and your child.

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Because you've made bad choices, don't expect others to do the same. I believe, 40K is the low end of survival for a foreign retiree in Thailand. When your gone will you have something to leave her and your child.

There are thousands here that have made bad choices. When I'm gone my wife will have more from me than she could ever have here in a million years. If she decides to stay for the journey. If not,she will go back to a lifestyle of being used and abused ,neglected and taken for granted, just like she had before.  My daughter will have the love of God, animals, respect for elders, love of good food, how to exercise and eat right to stay healthy, and know what to look for in a man because she sees me treat my wife well. And money has nothing to do with that.

Edited by fredwiggy

35 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There are thousands here that have made bad choices. When I'm gone my wife will have more from me than she could ever have here in a million years. If she decides to stay for the journey. If not,she will go back to a lifestyle of being used and abused ,neglected and taken for granted, just like she had before.  My daughter will have the love of God, animals, respect for elders, love of good food, how to exercise and eat right to stay healthy, and know what to look for in a man because she sees me treat my wife well. And money has nothing to do with that.

I don't know about thousands, but definitely some. Moving to Thailand to retire cheaply is not a good move and their is no safety net. Hope you make it OK but your way is not for me. 

This was an interesting topic so here's my take on it. I see where Chequered Flag is coming from and I would not feel totally secure in those circumstances.

But having only read the last 2 pages it sounds like FredWiggy is doing good, has health insurance and a nice family so he's got a kind of safety net. The fact he had a wife and 3 kids in the states, if I have that right,  would have hugely affected his ability to save over the years and maybe just stuff happened. Sounds like he's had a full life and 40000 is OK and all power to FredWiggy for enjoying his life.

Don't worry about not leaving an inheritance. If we lived our lives by what would be perfect we'll all be disappointed. Sounds better than the thai lady being alone, with probably less money, and him living alone in lesser circumstances in the states.

I know people who just bleed money and have fun doing it. I know others who live frugally but are genuinely happy ..wouldn't particularly want to go sailing or skiing or play golf or spend a fortune in bars even if they could. Feel like they're showing off in a fancy car and don't see the point. 

I am a bit like that. Spend a bit on thai holidays and take my girl to nice resorts but when I am at home I just take it easy. She's the same pretty much. She's into buddhism a lot and that is not an expensive interest. When I am home I spend next to nothing. Just gym, nice food mainly at home, see friends, a bit of fun, and help my girl a bit. That might sound a bit, or a lot,  boring to others. Maybe I'll fire up if I retire in Thailand.

I'll be fine when I retire but I had no kids and live in a prosperous, and what I consider a fairer, country so it made it easy to build and save.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:26 AM, transam said:

You do NOT have to post an essay to try and cover previous posts, you slag members off when you have no idea about their life and circumstances, the same as you don't know what's ahead of you, and I will repeat, YOU want fellow farangs deported if they are found  with 14 day overstay. I do not forget that kind of sh_t.....????

I just wonder why you think that all people no matter how much or little education they have, how much or little money they have, how much or little control they have over their lives, how stupid or smart they are... should have equal rights and options ?

The world is not like that and it’s about time it’s sinks in to mindsets like you. 

4 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

Where did the destruction of our planet come in from in this discussion.  And yes I certainly feel better than loads of people.  I am a driving force at my community and at work.  
 Probably I could buy your life and have you doing almost anything I wanted you to do.  Everything has a price tag.  Even you too. 

You are such a funny man. Does anyone take you seriously?

Bet you are secretly loathed in your community and at work.