Phuket Immigration says help coming for expats caught in permit-to-stay crisis

snoop1130

On 9/2/2020 at 6:10 AM, bubba said:

Not in my case with many, many extensions. They have always required tax records to prove that I was paid the minimum income and that I paid tax on it.

Yup... It is legal though to pay your own salary, especially after founding a company - something I did a few months before all of this happened!

Normally this would be done from the capital base, either as a loan or actual cash - no difference when it comes to visas and work permits.

The real objective of the company should be real, of course - from a legal point of view.

Edited by EbhB

12 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

That is if you can meet the required financials or pay an agent. 

Sorry don't understand your post.

I live here permanently since 2000, on a " Retirement Visa ", based on income in homeland.

My Belgian pension is fair enough to live a comfortable life, here in Thailand.

Already more difficult in my homeland, impossible at the French Riviera. 

Of course " comfortable " is a relative concept. 

Edited by luckyluke

On 9/2/2020 at 7:49 AM, BritManToo said:

No, they're far worse by implying anyone without the ability to keep $25,000 in a wobbly 3rd world bank must be a worthless loser, that's far more than a year's gross wage to most of the world. 

People who do have a lot know its hard to keep it all - and then putting any amount up in thai banks is a no-go!

Lots of people here with serious assets using agents... Don't really think they are the ones ever running into problems, or getting on any radar at all - they probably won't even hang around here ????

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, hotchilli said:

Usual Thai logic, I know many foreigners who are in this position.

Incomes have been disrupted by the Covid outreak, yet immigration thinks they have bottomless pockets and are millionaires.

Slow to catch on every time.

...or simply playing a game for maximising their own real income? ????

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Sorry don't understand your post.

I live here permanently since 2000, on a " Retirement Visa ", based on income in homeland.

My Belgian pension is fair enough to live a comfortable live here in Thailand.

Already more difficult in my homeland, impossible at the French Riviera. 

Of course " comfortable " is a relative concept. 

Do you meet the financials from TI. If so enjoy. If not you have a problem. Monthly 65K is OK in most places in Thailand, if no medical or other emergencies. TI wants us retirees to have a good life.

23 minutes ago, samsensam said:

there probably seem to be a lot here because they have, for various reasons, a need to be vocal, others, who are able to do basic financial planning and live within their means have no incentive or desire to bang on about financial matters... thankfully i'm in the latter.

Probably like you post. I am just surprised there are so many members in one forum that seem to have all from hard times to problem. 

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I assume from your post you are suggesting that I live on noodles. Another who, in ignorance, assumes far too much about other people and makes arrogant statements. FYI, I eat very well with Thai food for lunch and farang food for dinner, with a weekly evening out at a Thai/Farang restaurant.

How about you? Maybe you aren't able to live on 15,000 a month and resent those who can. I can understand that ????

Those who can live on a tiny amount & grow something on their own land will do well... Especially if they have some gold tucked away! ????

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I agree. Mr Trans likes to talk about financial misfortunes a lot. Maybe he invested in too many sick buffalos, but the money seems long gone. If it ever existed in the first place. Like many Brits he came to Thailand when the exchange rates were very favorable, but can no longer afford to pay or stay. He feels he's entitled to live as he has and gets upset when the immigration rules are enforced. 

Maybe he feels superior to other falongs, but this is an illusion in his head and not his bank account. The loss of embassy letters then border bounces, has had a devastating effect on others in his condition. In reality he and others in his condition shouldn't be in Thailand any longer.  

I definitely do not want to take this conversation with you. If I did, I would break all the codes in this forums rule book and be banned for all eternity even if I changed my personal ID number, name as well as country and IP address. You have no right to blame him for ant currency changes. Attitude and the ability to accept is another thing. However, I end it there.

Now you know exactly how I feel about you and your comment as well as try to get a companion in your stampede to look down on people.

My answer is no. Not joining your star spangled road to madness. Have a nice day! ???? 

13 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Do you meet the financials from TI. If so enjoy. If not you have a problem. Monthly 65K is OK in most places in Thailand, if no medical or other emergencies. TI wants us retirees to have a good life.

My monthly income exceed 65000. Like you say it is ok here, not everywhere. 

Sure one can live with much less, however in my opinion not so confortably. 

In fact I only need 40000 monthly, being married. 

I choose the "Retirement" way as more easy, at least for me. 

At 72 I give up the dream to live at the French Riviera.

15 hours ago, Nout said:

Why didn't you just use an agent?

Apparently most/a  lot of them are illegal, and it's pretty difficult to decide which are and which aren't.

Also, an extension done properly through Immigration should cost you only 1900 baht (plus stress) whereas an agent will charge you upwards of 13,000 baht. 

"The news comes only after the issue was brought to the attention of The Phuket News"

And why were the embassy's not highlighting such issues.  Yes I understand that there may be a reluctance to get involved in immigration cases - but when its clear that there are some mitigating circumstances (COVID) and where there clear evidence that many folk are affected by an issue that they cant control, is exactly where our representatives should "Represent" our interests and work with officials to resolve. If Immigration are willing to react to a newspaper article, than I would hope that our embassy's would have more or at last the same influence, if not, then they should be working to gain it.  There's a lot going on in background with trade negotiations etc etc, therefore are some opportunities here to build that relationship and influence. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:10 AM, bubba said:

Not in my case with many, many extensions. They have always required tax records to prove that I was paid the minimum income and that I paid tax on it.

I am still paying my self fiction salary and therefore Tax over that amount.

Would like to know how this works out with Immigration as my company has no income from tourists already for 4 months.

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Are you saying it´s ok to try and live permanent in Thailand on tourist visa, or that people should do what they can to walk around the rules and regulations regarding showing money for an extension? That´s what I am talking about, and both those option are wrong. As for now it is a situation like this in Thailand. To not live permanent on tourist visas in a country, that even a fool understand. Regarding the economic situation, that has not changed. Has been like this for many many years. That means people must be aware of what they must be able to meet up to, before settling in a foreign country like Thailand.

Now my questions.

Question 1: What in the world is it that you see as incredibly intelligent with that? I would see that way of thinking as falling under normal intelligence. Maybe it´s just you having difficulties separating what is more intelligent or less intelligent. Wonder what the reason for that might be.

As for question number two: Do you consider it right to come to a country and settle down with the knowledge of the rules, and then after a couple of year not can meet up to the requirement, and for that reason complain about them as well as try to break or circumvent them?

Alternative 3 & Question 3: Do you believe it´s ok to come to a country living on back-to-back tourist visas for permanent stay just because any other is not an option due to financial requirements or age? (Some actually live and work here as well, which makes it even more wrong and illegal.)

Where did I say that I think that its ok..? Adding opinions and words in other peoples mouth which havent been said does not make you intelligent, and the fact that you still dont realize that its not necessarily what you say, but the way you say it that people have a problem with, just proves my point...

If the tourists werent needed here, I can promise you that Thai immigration wouldve taken away the possibility to do so.. Just like when they were chasing down all the teachers without WPs earlier and ended up not having English teachers left, they know that it will come back and bite their own ... later on again...

And special times demands special solutions, if just for a short time.. 

Do you think that parents should be separated from their kids, because they didnt earn enough this last year because of the pandemic, even tho they have enough money to take care of heir families..? 

Fortunately the Thai immigration has shown some more compassion due to this pandemic than you seem to be able to... Do you think that all the other countries shouldve jailed all the Thais that couldnt make it home before their visa expired earlier..? Its not like Thailand is the only country that has shown some understanding due to the restrictions and the situation we all find ourselves in these days..

Anyways, by your reply you just stated that I was correct in my insinuation of you lacking social skills..

Like mentioned, its not what you say that annoys many of us apparently, but how you chose to say it..! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The33 said:

Where did I say that I think that its ok..? Adding opinions and words in other peoples mouth which havent been said does not make you intelligent, and the fact that you still dont realize that its not necessarily what you say, but the way you say it that people have a problem with, just proves my point...

If the tourists werent needed here, I can promise you that Thai immigration wouldve taken away the possibility to do so.. Just like when they were chasing down all the teachers without WPs earlier and ended up not having English teachers left, they know that it will come back and bite their own ... later on again...

And special times demands special solutions, if just for a short time.. 

Do you think that parents should be separated from their kids, because they didnt earn enough this last year because of the pandemic, even tho they have enough money to take care of heir families..? 

Fortunately the Thai immigration has shown some more compassion due to this pandemic than you seem to be able to... Do you think that all the other countries shouldve jailed all the Thais that couldnt make it home before their visa expired earlier..? Its not like Thailand is the only country that has shown some understanding due to the restrictions and the situation we all find ourselves in these days..

Anyways, by your reply you just stated that I was correct in my insinuation of you lacking social skills..

Like mentioned, its not what you say that annoys many of us apparently, but how you chose to say it..! 

Yes, and you apparently lacks understanding of answering another persons questions already given to you, instead of posing questions in return and disregarding to answer.

So, how do you expect to get any answers on yours? :clap2:???? Anyway, I am not as afraid to answer questions as you seem to be, so here it comes. Now bite on the sour apple you created all by yourself. Good job, boy!

So if have no teachers working illegally, then according to you, they will not have any teachers later.

Parents should never be taken away from their children and families, but it´s not Thailand or immigration doing that. they do that themself, by not understanding that you do not make children into this world in a foreign country if you can´t show the money that is needed to take care of them. Can´t care less what you make a month, and if Covid-19 make that less. Starting a family without 400k baht in a foreign country that you can put aside for security is a pure disgrace to humanity.

As a last point, your insinuations, are a great joke. So, now take your crystal ball, talk to the poltergeists and fly away on Harry Potter´s little broomstick. Hey, don´t forget to say hello to Dumbledore for me. ????????

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Retirees aren't supposed to be working in Thailand, so Covid19 has zero effect.

And retirees are supposed to have

money after having lived quite a time.  Not just being potless people and by that way Giving proof of having absolutely no control over money in their earlier life. 
And why should they suddenly get any control over their personal economy this late in life?

Most experienced foreigners in Thailand knows that money

goes one way out of your accounts as soon as you start your life in Thailand ????????

So better have some before you arrive 

Edited by GeilGeilertzen

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Parents should never be taken away from their children and families, but it´s not Thailand or immigration doing that. they do that themself, by not understanding that you do not make children into this world in a foreign country if you can´t show the money that is needed to take care of them. Can´t care less what you make a month, and if Covid-19 make that less. Starting a family without 400k baht in a foreign country that you can put aside for security is a pure disgrace to humanity.

You might tell that to the millions living here that start a family with nothing in the bank, leave soon after their children are born, and don't contribute to their upbringing. Here and in every country on earth.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You might tell that to the millions living here that start a family with nothing in the bank, leave soon after their children are born, and don't contribute to their upbringing. Here and in every country on earth.

Why would I do that? What you just posted here, is a perfect explanation of why it is so important to have a strong foundation before setting out to populate the world. Thank you for confirming.  Or are you saying that you wish to be like the, mostly, men you just described?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Why would I do that? What you just posted here, is a perfect explanation of why it is so important to have a strong foundation before setting out to populate the world. Thank you for confirming.  Or are you saying that you wish to be like the, mostly, men you just described?

Read what I wrote, and try to understand, that the majority of people on earth are just getting by. Yet they still want to have children. Some shouldn't, as they aren't responsible or old enough. Some try their best, and stay with the women after birth, yet still, just get by because of a lack of skills or available jobs. How many people do you think actually have a "strong foundation" before they have sex? Look up the average debt of families in other countries. In America alone, they are in debt, not including a mortgage, an average of 48K, and have little savings. Yes, there are many who have more money than they can count, and their "jobs" are ones that rape the earth's resources, poison people with over prescribed medications, and just move money around, and not contribute to anything besides their own wallets. Some have respectable jobs, and are fall down drunks who don't spend time with their children and ignore their wives. Then there are the average people, who again, love their families, and do whatever they can to provide for them, but don't make enough to satisfy the immigration's prejudiced standards of some countries. so they have to leave, even though they make twice the average locals wage? The disgrace to humanity are those that have children and don't raise them, men and women who cheat on their spouses, those that traffic little children and girls, politicians that are only out to help the rich, corrupt governments and police forces, and people who think they are better because they have more than others.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Tell that to the guy in CM who just had his extension refused because someone entered his date of birth wrong on his marriage certificate. 2 children about to become fatherless.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Read what I wrote, and try to understand, that the majority of people on earth are just getting by. Yet they still want to have children. Some shouldn't, as they aren't responsible or old enough. Some try their best, and stay with the women after birth, yet still, just get by because of a lack of skills or available jobs. How many people do you think actually have a "strong foundation" before they have sex? Look up the average debt of families in other countries. In America alone, they are in debt, not including a mortgage, an average of 48K, and have little savings. Yes, there are many who have more money than they can count, and their "jobs" are ones that rape the earth's resources, poison people with over prescribed medications, and just move money around, and not contribute to anything besides their own wallets. Some have respectable jobs, and are fall down drunks who don't spend time with their children and ignore their wives. Then there are the average people, who again, love their families, and do whatever they can to provide for them, but don't make enough to satisfy the immigration's prejudiced standards of some countries. so they have to leave, even though they make twice the average locals wage?

If you wish to go that they with you explanation, so be it. Then my answer would be that you are trying to compare citizens of a country with foreigners coming to such country. In other words, Thailand is not in any way responsible for you. That´s why they have a set of economical rules and requirements to follow and live up to. Different countries have different rules and requirements. Thailand might have more than most other countries. So, you have a choice in life. Make children as the Thais do as a citizen in your home country, or a country that is suitable for you economic standards. Then you can also join the club that might struggle but are still doing their best. I say nothing about that.

What I am saying, though. That is why you have to chose Thailand with these requirements and after complain? Here all the information is easy available, and all the requirements is also easy available. The one that wish to stay, live and make a family in Thailand are therefore obligated to find out how the real world works, before taking off the condom och start populating a foreign country. As I said, you can join the struggling that do the best they can, but not as a foreigner if you chose Thailand as you new home. Actually all countries in the world have a different set of rules to follow. They might be of economic character or others. How ever, I´ve never heard that you can come to a country, settle down, make a family and then complain about that set of rules and requirements.

And to finish up this, I am going to plug the first hole that you are going to lead the conversation to as quick as you can. That is that the rules have changed the last years. No, they have not! It´s still the same rules and requirements that have been standing in the immigration act for many years. What has happened is that they start to enforce the laws and requirements. For everybody that tries to blame their misfortune and hardship on that, I only have one thing to say. How in the world can you think that you can base a permission to stay om that corruption will continue to be widespread, and the authorities is going to look away from the written laws forever.

To protect yourself from that misfortune, you should have been calculation your presence in a foreign country out of the worst possible scenario. That´s the only way to, in a clever and intellectual, plan a secure future in a foreign country. Not to start a family and later complain. That would have been something that could have saved many foreigners in Thailand from the hardship they are facing today. Ok, I know that the thai baht has been growing awesome and strong. However, I also included safety measures for that a I consider a person that plans as well as start a new life and a family in a foreign country, needs much more that 400k baht that he can put aside. In my opinion the amount needed would be at least 5x that sum, so you as well as your family can feel safe and have a good foundation to stand on.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tell that to the guy in CM who just had his extension refused because someone entered his date of birth wrong on his marriage certificate. 2 children about to become fatherless.

Why are you derailing the subject of the conversation. The reply he made to my post regards the economical requirements to be able to stay in Thailand. Not any clerical error made regarding a persons name misspelled on a birth certificate.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Retirees aren't supposed to be working in Thailand, so Covid19 has zero effect.

Clearly you don't have passive income coming from UK dividends as Covid19 has hit a lot of these pretty hard, especially the Banks as the Prudential Regulatory Authority has strong armed them into agreeing to pay zero dividends this year. 

E.g. Barclays pulled their Final Year dividend a couple of weeks after it had already gone ExDiv (so was already reflected in the share price) & 1 day before it was due to paid. 

Added to this there will be guys who rent out their homes and have tenants who's income has been impacted by CV19 which has meant they're receiving a reduced/no rent or now have an empty property.

You don't have to be working for CV19 to have had an impact on your income & if you're on a retirement visa without a guaranteed pension that will cover the immigration requirements you might want to consider putting the 800K in the bank, it's worth it for the peace of mind it brings alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Why are you derailing the subject of the conversation. The reply he made to my post regards the economical requirements to be able to stay in Thailand. Not any clerical error made regarding a persons name misspelled on a birth certificate.

Because its a forum and if he wants to have he say he's allowed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, checkered flag said:

What's your point. Everyone has difficulties in life, but most get over it and don't complain. Treat you difficulties as a learning experience and move on. 

I am not complaining, I am chatting here for my daily fun, chap........????

The ones that are complaining are the ones with 'purported' cash about other farangs with a problem over the C19 problem, border closures, of which one complainer would want them taken away from their families via deportation if they over stay 14 days.....

A very sad individual indeed...????

• Haha 1