BANGKOK
Pattaya Spotter

It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

It's really amazing how central Pattaya and the Darkside, while a part if the same urban area are such different places. Being a Darksider, I don't spend as little time as I can in the "city," mainly just coming over occasionally to a favorite resto, doing computer/electronics shopping, or visiting Central Beach Mall. Once or twice a month I'll also come over for a bar crawl. 

If I never came over to Pattaya City I'd hardly know there was a pandemic about or that Chinese visitors are no longer in town. More or less all business are open on the Darkside. However, it is gloomier by the week in the city. On my last pass through a couple weeks ago, I'd estimate 50-60% of the businesses along the main arterials were closed. On a drive down Second Road tonite, from the base of Pratumnak Hill to North Pattaya Road, at least 70-80% of the businesses are shut down. Central Beach was empty at 7 p.m. How many will re-open when this is all over who can say. Vast swaths of town are closed...how much more can Pattaya take?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Poet said:

In the context of businesses being able to remain open, he clearly meant "no tourists with money".

Yup. That's the reason that Thais can't be tourists: we don't allow that any Thais have money.

14 minutes ago, Poet said:

Domestic tourists clearly have different tastes and levels of expenditure. Businesses that have evolved over many years to appeal to foreign tastes do not do so well with Thai tourists.

Yup. Businesses that have evolved over many years, or fewer, to appeal to Thai tastes, or to foreign as well as Thai, do well with Thai tourists and some foreigners still here for whatever reason.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, warcy said:

As long as the government fellows still get their salaries paid every month to their bank accounts, this situation of business closing is ignored.

No. They weekly come out with a new scheme for opening up the country.

11 minutes ago, warcy said:

After all, the domestic tourism can prop them up, implies the government.

Seems generally helpful, actually. You may be confusing spending with revenue generated, a common mistake here.

• Haha 1

the 500 baht for expats should save the day.

Most expats living in central Pattaya are enjoying it, quieter, prices coming down. Yes Thais are abandoning Pattaya, but they'll be back

• Sad 1