It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Is that two doses, or only one?   

The news about AZ is concerning.   It could slow the roll out of many countries.  

21 million doses given in the UK,being reported today.Dont know where 41% comes from.Thats total shots given,probably about 2% have been given their second shot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adammike said:

21 million doses given in the UK,being reported today.Dont know where 41% comes from.Thats total shots given,probably about 2% have been given their second shot.

25 million total vaccinations in the UK reported today. 

First dose: 23,684,103

Second dose: 1,532,754

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So in two weeks 1,532,754 people in the UK will be considered immune.

I wonder how many of them want to come to Thailand...

Me me me!!!!   That just leaves 1,532,753  ????????

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Some already will be, the rest will join them shortly. The number is up to 1,584,909 today. I wonder if many feel they are safe after the single dose as this number seems to be moving slowly. Then the big questions, how long does it last, and will new mutations/strains require further vaccinations?

19 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would the unvaccinated Thai population want vaccinated foreigners entering the country and spreading the virus? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Why would the unvaccinated Thai population want vaccinated foreigners entering the country and spreading the virus? 

Because they need the money? How would people immune be spreading the virus?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Because they need the money? How would people immune be spreading the virus?

A subset of them are in need of the tourists that is for sure, but also a large proportion are living fairly normal lives without. Thailand has shown Covid a healthy respect (and a bit of fear), which has put them in good stead. At the moment a person is unable to prove they have been vaccinated, that needs to be step one. But as an unvaccinated person currently living in Thailand, I too would worry about many tourists pouring in. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A subset of them are in need of the tourists that is for sure, but also a large proportion are living fairly normal lives without. Thailand has shown Covid a healthy respect (and a bit of fear), which has put them in good stead. At the moment a person is unable to prove they have been vaccinated, that needs to be step one. But as an unvaccinated person currently living in Thailand, I too would worry about many tourists pouring in. 

A large "subset" are financially  dependent on tourism, I assume most of them would like to see tourism opened back up.

Many kids aren't living normal lives, nor are the parents forced to stay home with them or the people terrified to leave their homes. Government workers (and retirees?) are generally doing great.  

Many people currently have to "prove" they've been tested to fly, yet is would be somehow impossible to "prove" they've been vaccinated. How is that? Incidentally, why is it every flight crew not been infected? 

There are aspects of the tourism shutdown that are great for a lot of people, myself included, so that there are people (you apparently) that want to delay the reopening as long as possible is not surprising. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Weak response. Tourism was at most previously around 15% of the GDP.

If you already knew, why did you ask?

How are kids not involved? Many were forced to stay home from school, and virtually all their extracurricular activities have been cancelled.

I think you are incorrect about all the sectors that are working normally, certainly not hospitals and manufacturing, though they are certainly faring better than some sectors. 

So what will need to be in place before Thailand can be opened in a "...safe and protected way."?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:37 PM, Yellowtail said:

Lack of flights, lack of funds, lack of confidence, lack of vaccines any number of things. 

I agree.  One, or a combination some of the things you mention, will mean some repeat tourists to Thailand will not be coming back for quite a while.  

• Sad 1

I just came back from a Pattaya trip. To be honest, it is my first trip outside of Bkk since the covid situation. Didn't want to travel much and didn't want to see dead touristic areas full of struggling people.

And my god, was Pattaya dead indeed... I can't speak for other areas but beach road and central Pattaya were really deserted. Most bars, massages and restaurants were closed, even 7/11s had to close down. We arrived on Friday and our hotel (Avani resort) barely had any customers (10 or less). Saturday, they had more guests, all Thais or expats but it still wasn't enough. And that is with most people coming due to cheap vouchers (we paid 1,500 per night). 

Honestly, it made me sad to see everything closed down and the remaining open businesses on their last leg, ready to collapse. I gave small tips to each place I visited or rides but that won't really help them. I left with a sour taste and that is why I didn't travel for the past 12 months.

I understand that Thailand is trying to contain the covid 19 situation, but is it really worth it? Left me with a lot to ponder.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If you already knew, why did you ask?

How are kids not involved? Many were forced to stay home from school, and virtually all their extracurricular activities have been cancelled.

I think you are incorrect about all the sectors that are working normally, certainly not hospitals and manufacturing, though they are certainly faring better than some sectors. 

So what will need to be in place before Thailand can be opened in a "...safe and protected way."?

I did not say I did not know the numbers, I just proved you did not. As did you with the wishy washy phrase 'a large subset'. And that 'if you already knew' comment is adolescent. 

Kids don't run tourist businesses, that is how they are not involved.

I assure you many hospitals are working normally, where an acquaintance works, The cancer hospital, they are just as busy. I accept The BHP may well be looking around for foreigners to gouge. As to manufacturing, still going strong.... my brother in-law is working plenty overtime and got jobs for other relatives who had been laid off by the hotels. 

What needs to be in place, a darned vaccination program that has achieved a high percentage of inoculated people in the country. I don't see it and it isn't happening! I will go get my jab and Thailand can open its doors to the world's unwashed!

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, polpott said:

20%. 80% in Pattaya. Much higher than 20% in all the tourist areas.

Covid is a national problem and it would not be correct to take actions solely for the benefit of the tourist industry. 

• Sad 1

Just now, polpott said:

The Thai government and I would tend to disagree with you.

You do not speak for the Thai government.

I do not see Thailand taking actions solely for the benefit of tourism, they have quarantine and closed the airports, didn't you know? 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You do not speak for the Thai government.

I do not see Thailand taking actions solely for the benefit of tourism, they have quarantine and closed the airports, didn't you know? 

I have listened to what the Thai government have to say. They are keen to end quarantine....safely. Enter the vaccination certificate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

I have listened to what the Thai government have to say. They are keen to end quarantine....safely. Enter the vaccination certificate.

Yes they likely are, there have been few other ideas along the way too... many fell by the wayside. But does it make sense if ones own people are not protected yet?

By the way, who in particular are you listening to.....last I heard the proposal was to keep the quarantine along with vaccination certificates?

3 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

And my god, was Pattaya dead indeed... I can't speak for other areas but beach road and central Pattaya were really deserted. Most bars, massages and restaurants were closed, even 7/11s had to close down.

Most massage shops reopened months ago, Buakhao, 2nd road, beach road, Klang

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Well, pretty much wherever I walked, everything was closed. And the ones opened had no customers. Granted, I didn't cover much ground and I might have missed some. 

5 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I just came back from a Pattaya trip. To be honest, it is my first trip outside of Bkk since the covid situation. Didn't want to travel much and didn't want to see dead touristic areas full of struggling people.

And my god, was Pattaya dead indeed... I can't speak for other areas but beach road and central Pattaya were really deserted. Most bars, massages and restaurants were closed, even 7/11s had to close down. We arrived on Friday and our hotel (Avani resort) barely had any customers (10 or less). Saturday, they had more guests, all Thais or expats but it still wasn't enough. And that is with most people coming due to cheap vouchers (we paid 1,500 per night). 

Honestly, it made me sad to see everything closed down and the remaining open businesses on their last leg, ready to collapse. I gave small tips to each place I visited or rides but that won't really help them. I left with a sour taste and that is why I didn't travel for the past 12 months.

I understand that Thailand is trying to contain the covid 19 situation, but is it really worth it? Left me with a lot to ponder.

I'm now in Phuket and it's even worse than Pattaya, if you can believe that. In Pattaya, in the the central tourist corridors, I'd guesstimate 60-70 percent of the businesses are closed. Here in Karon Beach, and the rest of the western side of the island (Kata and Patong) I'd say 80-90 percent of the businesses are closed. It's utter devastation...how long it will take to get things up and running again when international tourism is open again is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

The tourist has to be vaccinated, and around 65% of the Thai population has to be vaccinated, before borders can be safely opened.  It's as simple as that.  

Why not open if only the tourist has been vaccinated?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I did not say I did not know the numbers, I just proved you did not. As did you with the wishy washy phrase 'a large subset'. And that 'if you already knew' comment is adolescent. 

Kids don't run tourist businesses, that is how they are not involved.

I assure you many hospitals are working normally, where an acquaintance works, The cancer hospital, they are just as busy. I accept The BHP may well be looking around for foreigners to gouge. As to manufacturing, still going strong.... my brother in-law is working plenty overtime and got jobs for other relatives who had been laid off by the hotels. 

What needs to be in place, a darned vaccination program that has achieved a high percentage of inoculated people in the country. I don't see it and it isn't happening! I will go get my jab and Thailand can open its doors to the world's unwashed!

The people that own, run and work for tourists businesses have kids, and those kids are absolutely affected. 

I don't doubt there are some hospitals are working normally, but now you agree that some are not and that the sector has been affected.

Well if your brother-in-law is working overtime I'm sure the whole county is. Not. Automotive and consumer goods have and are suffering. High unemployment, fear and uncertainty do not promote discretionary spending and when less is sold, less has to be produced. 

So once you get your "jab" Thailand can open it's doors to the world's unwashed. With that I think it's pretty clear where your priorities are....

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Actually it was not that long.... they reopened end of January wasn't it? Sadly some didn't make it too and have the 'For Rent' signs..... 

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Actually it was not that long.... they reopened end of January wasn't it? Sadly some didn't make it too and have the 'For Rent' signs..... 

It feels like months ago, of course some have crashed and burned but say soi Buakhao for example the vast majority have reopened so as a guess about 50 +|-10

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It feels like months ago, of course some have crashed and burned but say soi Buakhao for example the vast majority have reopened so as a guess about 50 +|-10

Oh I agree.... all of the ones I have patronized seem to be open, be it with reduced staff. I chat to a few and they may go a whole day or two with zero customers.... really I don't know how they survive with such numbers. No shortage of open places nor the usual catcalls. 

• Like 2