It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

3 hours ago, Susco said:

In Big C extra, farang oriented ready made food is almost non- existent since about a month.

I used to shop at Big C extra almost daily, now I go there once a week, and still wonder why I even bother.

The imported farang food I believe is mostly products ordered months ago, but I have such a feeling that it will disappear also soon

Big C Extra was pointedly opened for Thai consumers, not farang, though it did promise easier access (location-wise) for all:

Mr. Kudatara further reveals that “Starting 25 May 2011, Big C will unfold its “Big C Extra” stores in strategic areas nationwide. “Big C Extra” is the new & exciting result of months-long deliberation and planning since the start of Carrefour acquisition that harvests Big C’s extensive research and knowledge on what the Thai shoppers in every category and locale really want.”

--http://www.newswit.com/.biz/2011-05-18/f42dcc00dcb778ab2d0cd90e9fb4d574/

And sure enough after it opened the farang food section and number of ready made meals for farang were then reduced from the old Carrefour levels. And the reduction of course whinged about:

I used to buy those ready cooked meals,both farang and thai food, on a daily base at Carrefour for the past 3-4 years or so but had given up on that shortly after it transformed into Big <deleted>.

So today I gave it a new try.The farang food section was almost empty apart from a few beefstews,which looked not so healthy,and some chicken stew.

In later years the situation may have improved--I don't eat those fattening, unhealthy pre-cooked meals but shock! go for the rotten bacteria-and-virus-ridden meat in the bins--or perhaps our members have become less discriminating, though assuredly still possessed of the most exquisite tastes in everything.

I see your point, however, about the reversion as an indication of pandemic effects. In any case, it's time to be thankful for what we once had and hope that things can get better again in due course.

Edited by BigStar

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Big C Extra was pointedly opened for Thai consumers, not farang, though it did promise easier access (location-wise) for all:

Mr. Kudatara further reveals that “Starting 25 May 2011, Big C will unfold its “Big C Extra” stores in strategic areas nationwide. “Big C Extra” is the new & exciting result of months-long deliberation and planning since the start of Carrefour acquisition that harvests Big C’s extensive research and knowledge on what the Thai shoppers in every category and locale really want.”

--http://www.newswit.com/.biz/2011-05-18/f42dcc00dcb778ab2d0cd90e9fb4d574/

And sure enough after it opened the farang food section and number of ready made meals for farang were then reduced. And the reduction of course whinged about:

I used to buy those ready cooked meals,both farang and thai food, on a daily base at Carrefour for the past 3-4 years or so but had given up on that shortly after it transformed into Big <deleted>.

So today I gave it a new try.The farang food section was almost empty apart from a few beefstews,which looked not so healthy,and some chicken stew.

In later years the situation may have improved--I don't eat those fattening, unhealthy pre-cooked meals but shock! go for the rotten bacteria-and-virus-ridden meat in the bins--or perhaps our members have become less discriminating, though assuredly still possessed of the most exquisite tastes in everything.

I see your point, however, about the reversion as an indication of pandemic effects. In any case, it's time to be thankful for what we once had and hope that things can get better again in due course.

Who is interested in your historic drivel, quoting decennial old post Sixpack?

The fact is that all the items, and more, I mentioned in post #58, have been there since the day Big C took over, until about 2 months ago.

And what has a pandemic to do with locally produced dishes, using only locally sourced ingredients?

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

You know, I'm all for peace and quiet as much as the next guy, but at what point does Pattaya stop being a fun destination?  The beach isn't anything special and I can't really think of any other redeeming values if all these shops, restaurants, and bars start closing in large numbers and the girls get fed up with no customers and go back home to Isaan.

What's left that's appealing?  Honest question... seems like there are countless better places to live in Thailand if Pattaya loses its original appeal and luster.

And why wouldnt the same style of businesses close in other places, they too losing their 'appeal and luster? '

It's going to be survival of the fittest here, but some will survive over the coming months, others will reopen.........eventually.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Susco said:

The fact is that all the items, and more, I mentioned in post #58, have been there since the day Big C took over, until about 2 months ago.

But another poster at the time disagrees, as I noted.???? I'll go with him for the credibility: a ready made meal connoisseur, that guy.

14 minutes ago, Susco said:

And what has a pandemic to do with locally produced dishes, using only locally sourced ingredients?

Oh, you missed the great egg shortage.???? But, to get really elementary, it has to do with a reduced market segment that was, as I noted, already pointedly not the main target, hence reduced production priorities, and a less stable supply chain owing to--you guessed it--the pandemic. 

Edited by BigStar

To the OP it could be that Pattaya below Sukhumvit ia a resort largely dependent on visiting foreigners. Above Suk it is mainly long term / long stay foreigners and Thais. 

When I lived on Soi Khaotalo a few years ago most businesses did not seem to be doing much. Same as a good few in "the city". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

But another poster at the time disagrees, as I noted.???? I'll go with him for the credibility: a ready made meal connoisseur.

Maybe you can point to the post where another poster disagreed that ANY these products are not available any more.

In the same fridge you would have daily made Vol au vent - lasagne - 3 types of mashed potatoes - stuffed tomatoes and aubergines, and a few other dishes I don't recall as I didn't buy them frequently.  It is all gone indefinitely.

The baked potatoes are also hit or miss together with a few other foreign oriented dishes.

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Maybe you can point to the post where another poster disagreed that ANY these products are not available any more.

You've not surprisingly moved into straw man territory. I noted, In later years the situation may have improved . . . . I have no idea what's actually available at present, either, as I said, but merely responded to your observation of a perceived shortage; and understood perfectly the main point you were attempting to make. In the overall context of the thread, however, and my previous posts, it suggests that the domestic market, including the domestic tourists, who shop everywhere, is of heightened importance nowadays, as is only reasonable and not inconsistent w/ Big C Extra's announced purpose from the beginning.

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Lines of food run out all the time, then new products appear. I dont have a problem buying the things I need.

I buy British produce from Saiamsbury's. For several weeks a number of my favourite products were unavailable. I asked the owner and he explained that there were supply chain issues due to Covid. As of a week ago all back on the shelves.

• Like 2

I haven't been to Pattaya since the Covid problem, but where I live in Isan, I see the same thing. The lock down has ended but many shops and businesses are not open, leaving many large parts of the main drag covered with security doors and no active shops. It's normally a bustling town and difficult to park in, but now you don't have to drive very far to get a parking spot.

Small businesses, like small retail shops and restaurants, tend to have low levels of cash flow and nothing in reserve if a crisis hits....then they go broke. What is amazing me, however is that high-end pricey restaurants are packed and the construction boom has intensified rather than slowed down...they are building massive amounts of upscale retail and office space. Why? They obviously see something in the future that I am missing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I haven't been to Pattaya since the Covid problem, but where I live in Isan, I see the same thing. The lock down has ended but many shops and businesses are not open, leaving many large parts of the main drag covered with security doors and no active shops. It's normally a bustling town and difficult to park in, but now you don't have to drive very far to get a parking spot.

Small businesses, like small retail shops and restaurants, tend to have low levels of cash flow and nothing in reserve if a crisis hits....then they go broke. What is amazing me, however is that high-end pricey restaurants are packed and the construction boom has intensified rather than slowed down...they are building massive amounts of upscale retail and office space. Why? They obviously see something in the future that I am missing.

Interesting and they say only 20% of economy relates to tourism

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the 500 baht for expats should save the day.

Most expats living in central Pattaya are enjoying it, quieter, prices coming down. Yes Thais are abandoning Pattaya, but they'll be back

Isaan is thriving , I sit Starbucks watching Thais hauling Bags and shopping carts are full out the doors , Starbucks busy , get off Baht bus and explore Thailand, Hell they gave you 500 b PARTY lol

Speaking with the owner of a bar (that is doing quite well at the moment) said that come the end of this month they may have to close, they based this on feedback from the majority of recent regular customers who have said they are being forced to leave Thailand over the next 3 weeks, point being, if you think it is bad now you ain't seen nothing yet, seems things are set to get a lot worse when the amnesty crew go home

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

Speaking with the owner of a bar (that is doing quite well at the moment) said that come the end of this month they may have to close, they based this on feedback from the majority of recent regular customers who have said they are being forced to leave Thailand over the next 3 weeks, point being, if you think it is bad now you ain't seen nothing yet, seems things are set to get a lot worse when the amnesty crew go home

Totally stupid throwing those tourists out, the country needs money but they make many poor decisions

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Totally stupid throwing those tourists out, the country needs money but they make many poor decisions

Throwing them out of the country, since when ?

Or are we talking about those that should have left months ago but have been allowed to stay on the extension amnesty ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Throwing them out of the country, since when ?

Or are we talking about those that should have left months ago but have been allowed to stay on the extension amnesty ?

the country needs the money from tourists so it's daft to throw people out by ending the amnesty, end it when things are getting back to normal. You are ok with locals not getting their money?

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 12:56 AM, BigStar said:

Yup. That's the reason that Thais can't be tourists: we don't allow that any Thais have money.

Yup. Businesses that have evolved over many years, or fewer, to appeal to Thai tastes, or to foreign as well as Thai, do well with Thai tourists and some foreigners still here for whatever reason.

Well you may think, as poet, maybe they have loved ones? 

And offcourse the people who where on long term visa. And love Thailand. 

So this question is tackled now? 

• Like 1

Sad situation all round, here on Koh Chang for the first time this year, I thought I'd go out on Sat night, eerie driving through White Sand i thought well Thai tourists will be out, Zilch, Zero, half the restaurant's were open, but no customers, there was one or two beer bars that appeared open in the back, but at least 20 closed, on to Chi Chet, about 5 bars open, with maybe one or two staff, one bar with 3 ex pats one had closed his restaurant and he was leaving for Isan the next day, and one bar with 2, went back to Odies place, band playing most customers about 20 were Thai and some were friends/family of the band, saw 3 ex pats. 

• Sad 5

12 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

Do you feel that there are so many of them dependent on the amnesty, and who will have to leave in the next 3 weeks? They presumably are under 50s who have income or are rich enough and need not work. Yet they cannot pursue ED or Volunteer visas for some reason.

23 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Alt Heidelberg near Walking Street still plugging along!

Just goes to show which business is more appreciated. Far as I'm concerned if every maccers and starbucks on the planet closed tomorrow it would be a good thing. When I can have a far, far better hamburger and chips, plus sugar water can from the local takeaway for 3/4 of the price for chemical filled burger, stringy chips, and sugar water at maccers there is something not right. As for paying large for coffee flavoured hot water- don't get me started.

Wonder if it's anything to do with the Heidelburg restaurant on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit in Bkk.

• Like 1

It boils down to the facts, if you have a business that catered to people from another country if you are not out of business you will be. In CM all of the cosmetic shops set up to bring in the Chinese are gone. If you have a business that is Thai friendly you are doing well. Dukes in CM has a great business model full of Thais and farangs. Thai clubs full for intertaiment. Pattaya to much of a tourist town but not Thai.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Nobody is being thrown out, just like pre-covid if they meet the requirements for a visa or extension they are welcome to stay but of course the moaners will be blaming the government.

So how do you suggest that a tourist who has already had an allowed 30 day extension stay? 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just goes to show which business is more appreciated. Far as I'm concerned if every maccers and starbucks on the planet closed tomorrow it would be a good thing. When I can have a far, far better hamburger and chips, plus sugar water can from the local takeaway for 3/4 of the price for chemical filled burger, stringy chips, and sugar water at maccers there is something not right. As for paying large for coffee flavoured hot water- don't get me started.

Wonder if it's anything to do with the Heidelburg restaurant on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit in Bkk.

Alt Heidelberg's ancient now by Pattaya standards and lives on a customer base remembering its former glory. AFAIK, it's the only place around there--Walking St, Beach Rd.--offering both German/European food & lager in pub-like atmosphere sufficiently tattered & grubby. Character, it has.

I'm glad it's still hanging on; we should all pay a visit for a brew to show support. I'll do that and indulge in the nostalgia. Alt Heidelberg and Shamrock, still here.

But as to which is "more appreciated," we're faced with the fact that Pattaya has only one AH compared to, what, 15 MDs. Now much of MD's menu is ignored here for bashing purposes, of course. Yet that menu has improved since you may have tried it in the 1960s or 90s. The Angus burger made w/ Aussie beef is quite edible if you skip the sauce and, owing to all the competition, MD's coffee has also been substantially upgraded to decency. I've compared the coffee to the touted 7/11s: I prefer MDs and sitting comfortably inside in the aircon to the curb outside. If you actually ate in AH nowadays, you might even find shock! that MD's can offer something a bit more palatable.

The MDs at the corner of Soi PO, and the Starbucks at Yamato, both rely critically on random tourists walking around there and Thais aren't making up for the lack. People watching from there isn't even very interesting at present. It's wise of them to stay closed a while longer. Note that other branches w/ more Thais around and more convenient to get to are open.

I realize it's the sacred duty of all citizens of the Commonwealth to genuflect daily towards Whitehall and utter imprecations against McDonald's and Starbucks. You've taken that duty seriously here in the past. You're good for today, mate.

Believe it or not, a TVF poster once dared express a preference for the french fries at MD's.

On a personal note I like Mickey Dee's french fries the best. A lot of the British ones are cut too big, oil not hot enough & they come out soggy.

But was promptly banned. Too inflammatory for our lads I suppose.

Nonetheless, the point about cold, soggy fries seems valid. Not too long ago a respected member of the Commonwealth, as I take it, uttered this plaintive cry:

It seems impossible to get nice, crispy and most important HOT fries in any place.

which led to a chorus of affirmations and a long quest for the proper stuff. Some have even been forced to cook their own. From your extensive exploration of Pattaya's pavements, you must know where these mythical better fries are to be found. I believe you're now obligated to reveal the location so that the business in question can reopen or stay open. Bonus: it can then be put on the list to be threatened with "imminent closure," too.

Edited by BigStar