It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do you feel that there are so many of them dependent on the amnesty, and who will have to leave in the next 3 weeks? They presumably are under 50s who have income or are rich enough and need not work. Yet they cannot pursue ED or Volunteer visas for some reason.

What is they are not learning nor volunteering? Why should they pursue an unsuitable visa?

33 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What is they are not learning nor volunteering? Why should they pursue an unsuitable visa?

That does not really address my question.... 

The Visa is not really unsuitable if it allows them to stay in Thailand, it achieves their needs. 

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Nobody is being thrown out, just like pre-covid if they meet the requirements for a visa or extension they are welcome to stay but of course the moaners will be blaming the government.

ah so tourists already here can extend or renew their visa? so what are they worried about

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The Visa is not really unsuitable if it allows them to stay in Thailand, it achieves their needs. 

What is your question? That they should be prepared to act in a questionable manner in order to be able to stay here?

I'm in that position and I would really prefer to get a normal tourist visa, but cannot. But I don't want to go down the route of getting a visa for which I do not really qualify.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

What is your question? That they should be prepared to act in a questionable manner in order to be able to stay here?

I'm in that position and I would really prefer to get a normal tourist visa, but cannot. But I don't want to go down the route of getting a visa for which I do not really qualify.  

If you are currently in Thailand , you would have been here for six months at least , which would have meant you would already have had 1-2-3 tourists visas and thus it would now be difficult to get another tourist visa , as they generally dont give more than two consecutive tourist visas (Yeah, I know there were ways around it, like trips to HK)

25 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

If you are currently in Thailand , you would have been here for six months at least , which would have meant you would already have had 1-2-3 tourists visas and thus it would now be difficult to get another tourist visa , as they generally dont give more than two consecutive tourist visas (Yeah, I know there were ways around it, like trips to HK)

No need for ways around it. Your two tourist visa story is just a story.

Apart from that, it's not about how long I have been staying now. I'm only staying because I won't be able to get back in for the winter, which is when I would normally be here.

So they should make it easier for the people who are already here and would normally stay for the winter.

I'm fully insured, have ample funds and don't want to go down dodgy routes to get a visa.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What is your question?

Go back to the post you quoted.... the question was directed at another BM, you actually went off at a tangent.

Are you really a tourist still? Another tourist visa would require you to leave the country, and if you have been here longer than 3 months, that is too long for a tourist visa. If you attend some classes, an ED is quite appropriate. 

Anyhow, off topic, wrong section. 

Edited by jacko45k

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Go back to the post you quoted.... the question was directed at another BM, you actually went off at a tangent.

Are you really a tourist still? Another tourist visa would require you to leave the country, and if you have been here longer than 3 months, that is too long for a tourist visa. If you attend some classes, an ED is quite appropriate. 

Anyhow, off topic, wrong section. 

Ok, I found the post:

Speaking with the owner of a bar (that is doing quite well at the moment) said that come the end of this month they may have to close, they based this on feedback from the majority of recent regular customers who have said they are being forced to leave Thailand over the next 3 weeks, point being, if you think it is bad now you ain't seen nothing yet, seems things are set to get a lot worse when the amnesty crew go home

Perhaps you can explain where I "went off at a tangent"...supposing that I was one of the customers mentioned.

Yes I am a tourist. Too difficult for you to get your brain around that fact? I'm not here to go to school nor am I volunteering.

I am a tourist who would have gone home, but for the fact that there was/is still a high rate of infection in my country and therefore would be impossible for me to return for my winter holiday.

So it would make sense to create a situation wherein the people who would normally spend their winters here, to be able to do so.

It's not a matter of money, I just like things to be ship-shape and Bristol fashion. Not worried that someone might take issue with my education visa.

53 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Isn't the 'Dark Side' the side with all the bars and sleaze?

The OP seems to be referring to things the other way around.

"The Darkside" is East Pattaya, mainly residential. Called "The Darkside" because many years ago there was very little street lighting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Scuba's original statement was about economic sense or lack of it. Wouldn't the tourist spend more money partying in a bar than sitting at home studying or out in the country digging irrigation ditches?

14 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Perhaps you can explain where I "went off at a tangent"...supposing that I was one of the customers mentioned.

Yes I am a tourist. Too difficult for you to get your brain around that fact? I'm not here to go to school nor am I volunteering.

I asked the question wrt the numbers here on 'amnesty' not to you, and you jumped in for whatever reason but replying to something else. Now you are being snippy with 'your brain' type comments. 

You chose not to go home for your own reasons, apparently worried about high  Covid in your home country... Thailand very graciously allowed you to stay, but I don't see you (using my brain) as a tourist and the correct Visa/ reason should be obtained. Thailand does not owe you or me a refuge .... I suggested that there are ways for you to stay, should Sept 25th truly mean an end to amnesties. 

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

After a visa exempt entry you can only get one 30 day extension. 

Not true you can with an Embassy letter. Also if one has Thai dependents there are other options, and perhaps the conversion to a Non-Imm-O Permission to stay. 

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Scuba's original statement was about economic sense or lack of it. Wouldn't the tourist spend more money partying in a bar than sitting at home studying or out in the country digging irrigation ditches?

There are no tourists now.... and I would be interested to know the numbers of those still here on amnesty from TV or Exempt entries.... and whether they indeed can still afford to party in bars.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not true you can with an Embassy letter. Also if one has Thai dependents there are other options, and perhaps the conversion to a Non-Imm-O Permission to stay. 

Many embassies arent giving letters. In your first post you were certain that people can get extensions. Now you write "perhaps"? Other countries are looking after Thai citizens. They are  offering long visa amnesties completed online. Why should Thailand be different.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are no tourists now.... and I would be interested to know the numbers of those still here on amnesty from TV or Exempt entries.... and whether they indeed can still afford to party in bars.

Not all people are pensioners on a budget. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BigStar said:

But as to which is "more appreciated," we're faced with the fact that Pattaya has only one AH compared to, what, 15 MDs. Now much of MD's menu is ignored here for bashing purposes, of course. Yet that menu has improved since you may have tried it in the 1960s or 90s. The Angus burger made w/ Aussie beef is quite edible if you skip the sauce and, owing to all the competition, MD's coffee has also been substantially upgraded to decency. I've compared the coffee to the touted 7/11s: I prefer MDs and sitting comfortably inside in the aircon to the curb outside. If you actually ate in AH nowadays, you might even find shock! that MD's can offer something a bit more palatable.

It's impossible to make junk food "good", no matter how one plays around with it. I have no objection to junk food and I'm lovin it, but I refuse to pretend it's "good" in any way.

I prefer MDs and sitting comfortably inside in the aircon to the curb outside.

LOL. Maccers are psychologically designed to make people leave, with their horrid decor. Can't sell more plastic burgers if people hang around.

BTW plenty of very nice and comfortable Thai restaurants that serve real food at comparable prices. In my favourite western style restaurant on Buakhao I could eat a very decent big breakfast for less than a maccers big mac meal. Comfy padded seats, AC and attractive staff. No need to rush and decor not designed to chase me away.

22 hours ago, BigStar said:

Believe it or not, a TVF poster once dared express a preference for the french fries at MD's.

On a personal note I like Mickey Dee's french fries the best. A lot of the British ones are cut too big, oil not hot enough & they come out soggy.

Good to see that the archive of pithy quotes is still in use.

Have a nice day.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I asked the question wrt the numbers here on 'amnesty' not to you, and you jumped in for whatever reason but replying to something else. Now you are being snippy with 'your brain' type comments. 

You chose not to go home for your own reasons, apparently worried about high  Covid in your home country... Thailand very graciously allowed you to stay, but I don't see you (using my brain) as a tourist and the correct Visa/ reason should be obtained. Thailand does not owe you or me a refuge .... I suggested that there are ways for you to stay, should Sept 25th truly mean an end to amnesties. 

I don't what you are babbling on about. You didn't tell me anything. I already knew about dodgy volunteer and education visas.

I am not interested in volunteer or education visas. If I wanted to stay that much, I would obtain one.

But I'm not that desperate. If they don't want me to stay, I'll happily leave.

• Like 2

There are businesses that have customers and are making enough to get by.

Particularly restaurants and some bars.  The current situation shows the way over supply of massage shops

and hotels.

It is also evidence to me that those who had a good business plan, reasonably priced food and beverage, properly trained staff, and the owner himself is occasionally involved coming to tables and interacting with customers, may be staying open.

Those with the opposite, including poor arrogant management and dirty looks when you walk in the door, probably have or are destined fail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Many embassies arent giving letters. In your first post you were certain that people can get extensions. Now you write "perhaps"? Other countries are looking after Thai citizens. They are  offering long visa amnesties completed online. Why should Thailand be different.

Doubt you will find the word 'certain' in that post......whichever you mean. Quote it please...

Thailand makes up its own rules, if it was all based on reciprocity, they would not allow many nationals in without a visa.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:45 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Totally stupid throwing those tourists out, the country needs money but they make many poor decisions

What I think is funny are all these tourists, under 50, that have been here for months, not working, because there's not even work for Thai's, with none of them being locked up for steal etc.

Kinda makes the immigration law of a Retirement Visa age being 50 look ineffective. 

I mean, if you are under 50 and "stay long time in Thailand" you must be working here.  Right?  ???? 

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Not all people are pensioners on a budget. 

Sure, but those people now have less places to party at, and when the tourist on amnesty are kicked out, probably even less places, which should be a concern for expats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Nonsense, I am a tourist.

No, you think you are a tourist. You are actually a Covid refugee......

More seriously, it is how Thaland views those who have been here on amnesty for some months now, and are unable, or unwilling to use a correct Visa or Extension type.

Edited by jacko45k