It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

23 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm not disputing individual stories and individual data.  It's the way of the world with business.   Some businesses are up, some down.  Some succeed, some fail.  Changing demographics, changing tastes, changing buying habits, changing new technology like internet sales and, with tourism, things like Airbnb and many more condos being rented short-term will all have an impact.   Like your business, Chevrolet's auto sales in Thailand could have been down, as well, resulting in its leaving the Thai market.  One auto manufacturer's sales being down doesn't automatically translate to auto sales as a whole being down in Thailand.  

It seemed to be the whole island was affected. It is small and most of the inhabitants have businesses so you hear.  I check booking.com regularly and bookings seemed to be down island wide. I could see no reason why one island in particular is affected and others were not. It is usually very desirable woth limited accommodation and at times in high season people walk the streets looking for rooms.  I don't see auto sales as a good example because decisions in the industry are made over several years. For a company to leave sales would need to be down for a long period, not just a drop for one year. There were many press reports of Pattaya high season not being great for the 19/20 season.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, newnative said:

You seem to be interchanging Pattaya and Thailand with tourist statistics.  When I say that UK tourists were up 4.97%, that refers to Thailand, not Pattaya.  I have not been able to find a breakdown of tourists by city.  So, UK tourists, along with other western countries except Oz were up slightly--but where they went in Thailand is anyone's guess.  As I said in my earlier post, they could be in other areas.

Up in Chiang Mai, I've been part of a hiking group for the past 10 years, around 10-20 folk on each hike.

10 years back it was all western people, mainly Brits and Americans, at the start of this month it was me, a French guy, and 15 Chinese speakers. Mostly Chinese speakers has been the norm for the past year.

Not many shops left in Chiang Mai catering to western folk, as they've nearly all gone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

It seemed to be the whole island was affected. It is small and most of the inhabitants have businesses so you hear.  I check booking.com regularly and bookings seemed to be down island wide. I could see no reason why one island in particular is affected and others were not. It is usually very desirable woth limited accommodation and at times in high season people walk the streets looking for rooms.  I don't see auto sales as a good example because decisions in the industry are made over several years. For a company to leave sales would need to be down for a long period, not just a drop for one year. There were many press reports of Pattaya high season not being great for the 19/20 season.

What Island?

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Out of curiosity, we haven't been to the Walking Street on our last trip, how is it holding? Has pretty much everything closed down or are they hanging on trying to survive?

Still a few Go Gos trying to survive and the discos, some restaurants open on the weekends etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What Island?

I don't want to say because might ruin my anonymity. It does have a low population..Is quite close to Pattaya and is historically a Thai resort only open to farung in the last 15 or so years. A lot of high end resorts. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Out of curiosity, we haven't been to the Walking Street on our last trip, how is it holding? Has pretty much everything closed down or are they hanging on trying to survive?

A few selected bars and GGBs are open, but generally I would say it looks sad and depressing. On soi 15 Dollhouse and Beavers, Soi  Diamond Windmill, Walking St it is Pinups, Atlantis, Tantra, Fahrenheit......enough for a crawl, just.

Corrections welcomed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Still a few Go Gos trying to survive and the discos, some restaurants open on the weekends etc..

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A few selected bars and GGBs are open, but generally I would say it looks sad and depressing. On soi 15 Dollhouse and Beavers, Soi  Diamond Windmill, Walking St it is Pinups, Atlantis, Tantra, Fahrenheit......enough for a crawl, just.

Corrections welcomed.

Thanks guys.

What about the Thai seafood restaurants mostly at the beginning? We used to enjoy eating on their decks once in a while.

6 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thanks guys.

What about the Thai seafood restaurants mostly at the beginning? We used to enjoy eating on their decks once in a while.

Pattaya Beer Garden Closed for sure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thanks guys.

King Seafood opens only on the weekends now I believe. Don't know about the others.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, BritManToo said:

Not many shops left in Chiang Mai catering to western folk, as they've nearly all gone.

What specific shops are you referring to? I don't recall any that only catered to western tastes.

Is that Billie Piper in your photo? She's a cutie.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

All the bars in Loi Krow for a start.

And all the Vegan restaurants.

Thanks. I don't consider bars to be shops so I didn't think of them, and I didn't know any Thais that didn't eat meat whenever they could, so makes sense they close.

How about Billie Piper?

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you need to read posts properly before launching into a rant. You must have missed "but my problem was that every year there were new and pointless requirements to obtain an extension".

For example? The few years will do...

On 3/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, Yellowtail said:

I agree. Only the greedy Thais NOT working for minimum wage should be exempt. Everyone else is just getting what they deserve.

I was thinking more along the lines of the criminals and the corrupt.  

On 3/24/2021 at 5:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

What specific shops are you referring to? I don't recall any that only catered to western tastes.

Is that Billie Piper in your photo? She's a cutie.

i believe so

image.png.b558f74542a57b20fe39eccfc922a001.png

• Thanks 1