Hua Hin smiling again after the crisis: Tourism is back - 70% midweek, 90% long weekends, TAT

webfact

6 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Thai's don't typically lie on the beach sapping up the Sun as Westerners do in fact they avoid it.
At Midday go check the Air Conditioned shopping Malls that's where they'll be.

Yes; enjoy the upmarket BluPort Mall, don’t be fooled by the number of closed shops, restaurants and even floors, it really is a pleasant experience,

2 hours ago, lucifer666 said:

I live is Hua Hin and i completely agree. It's almost like a ghost town here.

I live is Hua Hin too, and i completely agree. It's almost like a ghost town here. A few 4 day holidays a year is hardly bragging rights.

I went to Hua Hin once yonks ago with a very hot company secretary for a very dirty weekend.

I am fair skinned so sat under a thin umbrella in a thin shirt with a hat on whilst we we were on the beech for an hour.

I got lobstered and she was as brown as burnt toast. Ruined weekend

Never been back or forgiven the place since.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I live in Hua Hin and it is very busy. 

especially on weekends. 

of course the businesses geared toward white foreign tourists are still slow but that is not what this story is about. 

What happened to your stay in BKK you so proudly boasting about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Ejan said that there were no foreigners to swell the ranks at the moment but said that the locals were all pulling together to promote the province and could smile again.

Pass on the secret to Phuket... 

44 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I thought you said yesterday that you were staying in Bangkok for some time and had rented a hotel room near somewhere called Crazy House for the duration, wasn’t that true or did I misread?

you are right. are you living vicariously through me? hahaha.

i am in Bangkok now but I am live in Hua Hin.

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

especially on weekends. 

of course the businesses geared toward white foreign tourists are still slow but that is not what this story is about. 

I thought you are staying next to your favourite brothel (gogo...) in Bangkok now (for some weeks. You wrote that yesterday ...

• Haha 1

TAT gets an occupancy rate by measuring the rooms available and those rented. So if 40 of 50 hotels are closed, only the 10 still open are counted. A 70% rate of those available rooms would be a true rate of occupancy for all hotels of around 15%. Many hoteld might appear open but have closed off a number of floors and are offering only a portion of their rooms for rent. Or so I have read.

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.

1 hour ago, Krabi King said:

Hua Hin smiling again after the crisis

After the crisis ?... I think the worst is yet to surface...

And I guess the smiling will turn to tears again in about a week or 2...

My apologies for the lack of optimism.

Lack of nothing your Spot on! 

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

especially on weekends. 

I thought you had been mongering in Bangkok for the last month so how would you know the current situation. 

I have many Thai friends in Hua Hin and they all tell me it is very quiet , one told me so yesterday in fact.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

especially on weekends. 

In another post you say you stay in Bankok because the hotels are cheap there. So what now?

I have never read such a great steaming pile of horses***. Hua Hin is dead apart from the weekends when Bangkokians come down.

Yes, this weekend will be busy due to the holiday, but in general most businesses are struggling. 

Bang Kor Por food mall is busy on Friday and Saturday as they have Thai rock bands, if you like to have your eardrums assaulted whilst sitting on concrete chairs eating mediocre food ( and I use the term food reservedly ). I agree each to their own, but you get what you pay for.

I have also heard that Blueport is to be phased out as a mall, the top floors converted to a hotel, while keeping the lower floors as a banking unit. 

• Like 1

Reading the original article and some of the posts, I get the impression that there are two "Hua Hin"s in Thailand.

Like our Star Trek CSI fan, I also live in Hua Hin.

While most of the luxury hotels have reopened, many of the smaller hotels that cater for low end Thais and foreigners remain closed. Many many bars have closed, even bars that reopened after the initial lock down.

Many businesses in the downtown area remain closed and the buildings are up for sale or rent.  The top two floors of BluPort mall remain closed, except for two shops.  Most of the restaurants in BluPort have been closed, as have some of the shops.  In Hua Hin Market Village, go to tha basement and see the rapidly expanding number of vacant shop spaces.  Even Sports World closed this week.

Go out into the "Thai areas" of Hua Hin, where there are few if any foreigners living and no tourists, not much has changed from earlier this year.

Prior to COVID-19, on long weekends it used to be difficult to get a car park at the shopping malls, and there were traffic jams along Phetchakasem Road.  Since COVID-19, no problems with car parks and traffic jams on long weekends.

Nevertheless, over recent weekends there have been more Bangkok Thais on the beaches and in the shopping malls; what will this weekend bring?  Maybe the dream that the articles states as the reality.

• Like 2