Hua Hin smiling again after the crisis: Tourism is back - 70% midweek, 90% long weekends, TAT

webfact

On 9/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Poet said:

This finally proves, conclusively, that the Thai tourism industry does not need foreigners and that, going forward, domestic tourism will be more than sufficient to generate the foreign currency reserves required for Thailand to thrive.

It seems you don't understand that the numbers from TAT is just fake? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arkady said:

It stands to reason that a lot of well heeled Thais are having to take holidays locally as they can't travel abroad.  However the stats cited don't seem quite believable.  But it must be doing better than Samui. A friend just came back from there and said many business on Chaweng, including 7/11s and McDonalds are boarded up.  

I know we poke fun at these proclamations the Thai tourism is "Snapping Back" and is almost normal.  I mean, what else can we do?  Those of us "on the ground" in these locations can see for ourselves that spokepersons in various government ministries and the main-stream media which publishes these "happy, happy, joy, joy" announcements are both responsible for creating inaccurate Happy Talk for public consumption.  I don't think the Thai public is that stupid, but the expat community for the most part is simply not gullible. 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, lucifer666 said:

I live is Hua Hin and i completely agree. It's almost like a ghost town here.

well two guys who live in Hua Hin.   One says like a ghost town.   the other says very crowded.

jeeez,    seems like even farangs have different views on the subject.

oops.   revised tally.   now three say deserted.  one (who is in BKK ) ?  says very busy

Edited by rumak

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It seems you don't understand that the numbers from TAT is just fake? 

It seems you didn't get a joke that almost everyone else got.

Domestic tourism cannot increase Thailand's foreign currency reserves.

• Confused 1

On 9/2/2020 at 2:40 AM, Poet said:

This finally proves, conclusively, that the Thai tourism industry does not need foreigners and that, going forward, domestic tourism will be more than sufficient to generate the foreign currency reserves required for Thailand to thrive.

What a load of drivel,i have a friend that owns a shop in.HH,and she has closed,and taken a month off because there's no tourists..TIT.????????????

10 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

No need to add a smiley face,there is a difference between humour and sarcasm!!!

If you believe the post in question was sarcasm you do not understand the meaning of the word.

My post was satire and, yes, there is a significant difference.

Edited by Poet

On 9/2/2020 at 2:40 AM, Poet said:

right on,you hit the nail right on the head,what these resorts need is zero sex tourists,just white knights who treat bargirls with respect,and send them money every week so they don,t have to work in bars.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, NCC1701A said:

I live in Hua Hin and it is very busy. 

especially on weekends. 

of course the businesses geared toward white foreign tourists are still slow but that is not what this story is about. 

You recently posted you were in bkk until October 

On 9/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, rumak said:

well two guys who live in Hua Hin.   One says like a ghost town.   the other says very crowded.

jeeez,    seems like even farangs have different views on the subject.

oops.   revised tally.   now three say deserted.  one (who is in BKK ) ?  says very busy

Haha. That's nothing ask them how much rain there's been this year. There'll be fistfights.... 

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 5:57 AM, Poet said:

If you believe the post in question was sarcasm you do not understand the meaning of the word.

My post was satire and, yes, there is a significant difference.

I like to be sardonic, if truth be told    

• Like 1

It's very busy in Hua Hin this weekend due to the Friday and Monday holidays.

As is normal on a long holiday weekend, I do my shopping on the Thursday or Friday and pretty much stay locally to the house over the weekend.

It will all be gone and back to normal by Monday afternoon. Dead as a dodo.

• Like 2

I live in hua hin, weekdays it's empty I see the same faces every day in the food court of the market village mall. The long weekend it was packed with Thais coming from Bangkok however. 

Never understand what they are doing here as none of them are on the beach, you'll find them in the 2 malls. Apparently there is a shortage of malls in Bangkok.

Bar area deserted, most non sex massage places are closed or have 1 or 2 ladies sitting in front, many restaurants closed as well

The terrible road conditions and general 3rd world feel of hua hin is not helping as well

1 hour ago, WhatsNext said:

I live in hua hin, weekdays it's empty I see the same faces every day in the food court of the market village mall. The long weekend it was packed with Thais coming from Bangkok however. 

Never understand what they are doing here as none of them are on the beach, you'll find them in the 2 malls. Apparently there is a shortage of malls in Bangkok.

Bar area deserted, most non sex massage places are closed or have 1 or 2 ladies sitting in front, many restaurants closed as well

The terrible road conditions and general 3rd world feel of hua hin is not helping as well

Thanks for that. I arrive Monday for 4 days. Staying at the Golf Villa Hotel. Are the Bars and Restaurants open on the beachfront ? Cheers

On 9/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, sungod said:

I passed through on a Tuesday evening, couple of weeks ago. Bar area was desolate, but more normal areas seemed not so bad.

Sure the bar area was desolate. It's for foreigners. Hua Hin has always been a Thai tourist town. That's how it started. During 2019, 3/4 tourists in HH were Thai.

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

Sure the bar area was desolate. It's for foreigners. Hua Hin has always been a Thai tourist town. That's how it started. During 2019, 3/4 tourists in HH were Thai.

Yes, its moved on considerably since I first visited in the late 80s, not sure for the best.