Foreign divers face jail and 100K fines for underwater selfies they posted on YouTube

webfact

35 minutes ago, Vicki Coghlan said:

Wow!!! 

So farung divers are hounded for touching sea creatures but local Thai fishermen are given seperate immunity to screw with marine life and you wonder why Thailand's tourism is now non existent.  

I think Thailand's tourism is non-existent because tourists are not allowed into the country. Nothing to do with farang divers touching sea creatures. Don't think I know anyone who visits Thailand who would give tuppence about two farangs doing something pretty dumb and posting it on the Internet. 

Thais get hounded by other Thai netizens all the time. I bet if you posted videos of Thai fisherman screwing with marine life in protected areas their lives would be made pretty miserable too. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gravity101 said:

Someone needs to explain the latest tm28 and tm30 requirments to me. I thought this had been largely put out to bed. Not sure why his wife would be fined either.

Indeed. I too was under the impression that TM28 was abolished.

There go our local travel plans down the drain, again.

They should be executed immediately !.....or given to the sharks !

This attitude is ridiculous one more time, is it the way we will attract back the tourism...?

Talking about sea, there is more to say....

What about the siamese fishing boats looting Cambodia and Burmese waters with crew of slaves from this two countries....?  No comment ?

36 minutes ago, Raphael54 said:

Indeed. I too was under the impression that TM28 was abolished.

There go our local travel plans down the drain, again.

They won't be invoked against you unless you behave like a numbnut and post it on Facebook for everyone to see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

This is nonsense 

corals are protected not fish 

ridiculous and idiotic reaction 

maybe go after fishing boats that do actual damage to protected corals and marine life

In a protected area everything is protected not only corals.

Same Militaire Zone.

They must pay for their stupidity.

I hate peoples thinking they can do what they want everywhere

I hope 10 years in prison and 100000000000000000000 baht fine

6 minutes ago, Razek said:

In a protected area everything is protected not only corals.

Same Militaire Zone.

They must pay for their stupidity.

I hate peoples thinking they can do what they want everywhere

I hope 10 years in prison and 100000000000000000000 baht fine

Intrested to know what punishment you would have hoped for say, errm lets see now?

- Red Bull heir 'Boss' (years & fine please)

- The Govt guy caught red handed poaching couple years back (years & fine) just go with them two cases for now, im really intrested to see what you consider would be fair...

Amazing Thailand...

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

As a foreigner I wonder if I am alone in my disappointment of the seemingly racist or xenophobic attitudes of so many Thai people. I had hoped to retire in Thailand but with the constant reporting requirements and steadily increasing financial requirements I am thinking that the Thai authorities truly don't want decent, law abiding people like me! So sad...

14 hours ago, webfact said:

One is a dive instructor who will have his permit to teach revoked

Teaching permits can ONLY be revoked by the associated diving company (PADI, CMAS, etc)
Thai government has NO saying in this.

Yes, those 2 guys are very stupid! Doing something illegal is one thing, but filming it and posting it on social media is NEVER a good idea ????. I think they have learned their little lesson... Easy to make them an example!
Of course we don't talk about (Thai) people who kill police officers and are untouchable or use an axe to kill his wife or ..... etc etc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

And...a reminder for some farangs you are in an actual real country with real laws and real people nd not freaking DINSEYLAND.

you're having a laugh, right?? JUst asl "boss" how real the country and it's laws are. Very selective at best.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

This is nonsense 

corals are protected not fish 

ridiculous and idiotic reaction 

maybe go after fishing boats that do actual damage to protected corals and marine life

OK, I take it you're an expert on such things. Would you please cite and quote verbatim the specific laws to which you refer? Oh, you can't? People like these idiots as well as you would do well to remember that this is not your country in which you can carouse, parade, and do as you see fit. I think the mere presence of people like you and them do enough damage. And the Thais certainly agree, and will make an example out of these guys

Edited by Jonathan Swift

10 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Does their damage compare to actual damage and loss of sea life from intentionally dumping of garbage/hazardous waste from boats and from beaches/inlets?

no comparison - thai officials Just too damn lazy to prosecute real culprits to sea life....

Not lazy....just enough brown envelopes going around.

9 hours ago, sherwood said:

Dear oh dear, what a funny place Thailand is. You can run over a Policeman and get away with it but pick up a sea creature and put it back you might go to jail.

Remarkable land of cra.heads.

Yes, you can run-over a policeman and get away with it if you're a billionaire dont think it really matters what county you're in....

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

OK, I take it you're an expert on such things. Would you please cite and quote verbatim the specific laws to which you refer? Oh, you can't? People like these idiots as well as you would do well to remember that this is not your country in which you can carouse, parade, and do as you see fit. I think the mere presence of people like you and them do enough damage. And the Thais certainly agree, and will make an example out of these guys

how about you tell me what exact harm was done

In this country if you take a shell from a beach you could be jailed 

what about all the people that enjoy a day at the beach trampling all the dead stuff that actually makes the beach, there is room for common sense and I am all for protecting the reefs and corals all over the world, do no harm is my motto but this is extreme and complete nonsense 

Tons of plastic waste thrown into the sea in Thailand and not a word about the real harm that is doing, these guys on the camera footage were probably collecting plastic trash from the waters off Thailands shores a week ago

I rest my case 

17 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

How can netizens "demand" anything anyway? It's the government which makes/enforces rules, not angry people online. 

Government???? You mean General Cha Cha and the soldiers who dance to his tune.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Millcx said:

More craziness .. You can stick a hook in a fish mouth but not take a photo .. These inept red tapers have nothing better to do with their time .. Open your borders and stop acting over important

No not red tapers just protecting a national marine park where its illegal to bother marine wildlife, wether for a selfie or fishing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read in a Facebook group that they "got instant deportation. No packing bags just straight out of Thailand and don’t come back"

Does anyone have any info to verify this? It does seem rather harsh, even though the culprits do appear quite stupid & naughty.

22 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

no doubt the "diving community" will be very pleased. in general the diving community strictly obeys a Dont Touch rule, out of respect the marine environment.

and PLEASE stop your idiotic nonsense dribble about upholding legal protection of sealife would suddenly be "xenophobic."

Well done, glad to see Thai authorities taking wildlife protection serious.

And...a reminder for some farangs you are in an actual real country with real laws and real people nd not freaking DINSEYLAND.

Yes a real country with real laws he shouts..5555 as we wait in anticipation to see those real laws applied to the Red Bull heir apparent after wiping out a policeman..????

3 hours ago, 2long said:

I read in a Facebook group that they "got instant deportation. No packing bags just straight out of Thailand and don’t come back"

Does anyone have any info to verify this? It does seem rather harsh, even though the culprits do appear quite stupid & naughty.

I hope you are old enough to know that you should not believe what you read on Facebook