Chiang Mai is now an "old people's society" where the aged and poor must fend for themselves

webfact

Chiang Mai is now an "old people's society" where the aged and poor must fend for themselves

3pm.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Chiang Mai News reported that Chiang Mai is now listed as an old person's society according to UN designations. 

And the old and the poor are inceasingly having to look after themselves as the young desert them to go looking for work.

They came to this conclusion based on surveys from the National Statistics Office in 2019. 

It was stated that out of a total population of 1,779,254 a total of 333,692 were 60 years and older. This is 18.8%.

Some 274,988 received government money and 1,397 were in a chronic bedridden state. 

Thirty six gave their status as homeless beggars and 611 were handicapped and devoid of assistance.

The media said that what was particularly worrying was the falling birth rate and the fact that the aged population had risen by 5.3%.

Their interpretation of the stats was that people were getting married later, staying single longer, and leaving their families alone to go to work. 

So increasingly the elderly were living alone.

As many as 1,158 were alone with no one to look after them. Many were in poverty.

Nationwide they quoted stats from "Monitor Thai" that said there were 12,120,751 people over 60 and 7,997,456 over 65. 

When deaths were compared to births the Thai population only increased by 97,116 in 2019. 

In other stats 222,988 got married and 90,655 got divorced. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Nationwide they quoted stats from "Monitor Thai" that said there were 12,120,751 people over 60 and 7,997,456 over 65. 

When deaths were compared to births the Thai population only increased by 97,116 in 2019. 

In other stats 222,988 got married and 90,655 got divorced. 

A very telling set of statistics.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, BritManToo said:

So nobody mentioned the 4 or 5 universities filled with young students then?

The hundreds of condo blocks that cater to them.

When I stop at traffic lights, I'm surrounded by young people on scooters.

I don't believe I've ever lived in a town with a younger population, and so many places for them to drink.

Those wont be found in the stats as their housebooks are registered back home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:33 AM, BritManToo said:

So nobody mentioned the 4 or 5 universities filled with young students then?

The hundreds of condo blocks that cater to them.

When I stop at traffic lights, I'm surrounded by young people on scooters.

I don't believe I've ever lived in a town with a younger population, and so many places for them to drink.

Agreed. Might be getting older, but Thighland is a young society. As you well know Brit, pull up to the lights in the UK/West if you want to see an aging populace. Scooters are replaced by paid-for buggy things. nothing to look at. Stroll on!

• Like 1

I recently figured that dozens of those townhouses, that look abandoned and empty, are actually still hosted by a old person who rarely seems to come out. Its a bit weird as those townhouses are worth many million baht each, guess many simply not have direct relates or something (I mean you could otherwise sell the place and let them live in with you, money covers more than costs and affords).

Also seen very bad situations all around town where they live in a wooden shed, wear the same clothes each day etc.

Edited by ChaiyaTH