UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are failing to recognise the difference between the SNP and independence.

A vote for independence will depend on the factors prevailing at the time of any referendum. In 2014 the number in favour of independence was much higher than the result of the referendum would indicate, a percentage just did not want Alex Salmond as their president. Also David Cameron's promise to the Scottish people that they would have a voice at the EU table was a contributing factor, something that Bojo conveniently wants to forget.

Cameron also said that he would stay on if the UK voted leave. Why should Boris need to worry about Cameron's 'promises'?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Majority of Scots now want independence and Brexiteers fly into a panic.

If Scotland has such a huge deficit (it does not) why are you English/British nationalist so desperate to keep paying for it?

If Scotland has such a huge deficit (it does not) how is that a good advertisment for remaining in the Union? If a country so resource rich as Scotland is flat broke then its because of the union. Its because we are tied to Westminster.

Scotland voted to remain in the EU. We are being dragged out against our will. We want back in.

Britain is leaving the EU and Scotland is leaving eu

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Why would I be jealous of the UK it has the same <deleted> weather as the Netherlands. I as a realist also understand that its beneficial for a small country like mine (and even the UK) to be in a large trading block.

Do i like everything from the EU ? No I dont but I dont like everything about my goverment too.

Not sure what age your from bringing WW2 into it but i see a lot of OAP's on this forum bringing it up.

Anyway the UK wanted to leave now Scotland want to leave its only fair to let them. 

Well thank you, you totally failed to answer my question - not exactly unexpectedly!

In the absence of any answer, I must presume that my analysis is correct.

Incidentally, I am not yet an OAP (a few years to go). However I do understand that often, events and views on events in the past, which were not (the events) experienced by an individual often have a significant influence on their views.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Point is UK left EU, now the Scots want to leave too. Fair is fair.

I do know that many in the UK seem to still hate the Germans. Not sure why maybe some sort of misplaced pride. They were almost conquered by the Germans had the Americans and the Russians not helped. So it pays to be part of a bigger thing. Strange that the UK did not learn that lessen. But only learned to hate.

More lessons from the learned.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Britain is leaving the EU and Scotland is leaving eu

Britain has left the EU, Scotland voted to remain in the UK, but the irony is that when Scotland voted in their referendum if the result had gone the other way, the EU would most possibly have kicked them out as it was the UK that was a member, so in actual effect it was Scotland that was voting to leave the EU.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I think she is referring to the Barnett formula that Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland receive  I’m led to believe that Scotland get in the region of £2,000+ for each person each year.

I know what she is referring to.  My question is: is it true?

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Funny how Scottish nationalists are aghast at Brexiteers wanting to leave the EU even though the EU is it's largest trading partner. How could they be so stupid etc.

Then they declare they want to leave the UK ????

You realise the shoe is on the other foot here?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I have to confess that I am enjoying the Brexit spectacle, although I do feel sorry for the Leavers who through no fault of their own will no doubt suffer along with the Brexiteers.  The idea that a trading nation would voluntarily terminate all 700+ of its trade agreements in one blow just beggars belief.  The Tories are preparing to chuck Johnson and blame the whole debacle on him.  With any luck the Tories should be kept out of power for a generation.

Fintan O'Toole says of the British that they are unable to think of themselves as an ordinary nation dealing with other ordinary nations.  If they are not in full control then it must be because the Hunnish jackboot is on their throats.  It is a pity that the Brits never got over the Empire.  At least they will soon be able to console themselves with blue passports at long last.

Scotland will leave and join the EU.  It's just a better deal.

- By the time they're ready to apply there won't be an ???????? to join.

- My Blue passport arrived in June.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

I know we Flemish people have a special kind of humor, mostly only funny for ourselves ( something similar to British humour, only being funny and  understandable by Britons ).

Anyway I find it  funny/ironic that, now that Brexit will become a true reality, it is a part of the U.K. which want to leave,

when I read here frequently that Brexit is the first step for other European nations to follow.