UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

9 hours ago, vogie said:

Who will the SNP blame when they have finally rid themselves of the so loathsome English, nationalists need someone to hate, that's how they function. 

If you vote other than a nationalist you are branded scum or a traitor, that is not the way a modern fully functional society should work. 

That is not the way Scotland works either - but you keep peddling your lies. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Something you are forgetting, if Scotland gains independence, the Shetlanders, and the Orcadians will then want to break away from Scotland.

Before you laugh at that, having lived/ worked in Shetland for 6 years and Orkney for 3 years, i know what the islanders think of Scotland, they think about being separate from Scotland.

Then you would have very little territorial waters, in fact they would look really small.

Not to mention the 200 mile radius around Rockall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That is not the way Scotland works either - but you keep peddling your lies. 

You know RR, I not even sure if you even believe what you write yourself these days. But nearly all of you on here are intelligent, but when confronted by reality and facts it's all brushed under the carpet or else a barrage of attacks on our elected government. We all know you don't like them as the same as most of N. Sturgeons foot soldiers, but it is not healthly to unleash the full venom of attack in every post, do you ever think I may be going over the top a tad?

Calm down dear, it's only a referendum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Something you are forgetting, if Scotland gains independence, the Shetlanders, and the Orcadians will then want to break away from Scotland.

Before you laugh at that, having lived/ worked in Shetland for 6 years and Orkney for 3 years, i know what the islanders think of Scotland, they think about being separate from Scotland.

Then you would have very little territorial waters, in fact they would look really small.

London voted to remain in the EU. Does London get to leave the UK and join Scotland?

You see where I am going with this?

Orkney and Shetland are regions of a country. Not countries in themselves.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

You know RR, I not even sure if you even believe what you write yourself these days. But nearly all of you on here are intelligent, but when confronted by reality and facts it's all brushed under the carpet or else a barrage of attacks on our elected government. We all know you don't like them as the same as most of N. Sturgeons foot soldiers, but it is not healthly to unleash the full venom of attack in every post, do you ever think I may be going over the top a tad?

Calm down dear, it's only a referendum.

This from the very man who ignored all the warnings and facts about Brexit and is now advising others to pay attention to his dire warnings and alternative facts about independence?

Seriously you couldn't make this up.

A man who was warned Scotland might go independent if Brexit won.

A man who claims the Scots hate the English.

A man who warned Scottish pensioners would lose their pension if we become independent.

We are calm. We have nothing to worry about. The union is over with. Get used to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You would have to show me where I said "worry", maybe "forget" means the same thing to you.

Bojo has certainly followed in Cameron's footsteps, forgetting his own promises as well as others made in the name of the Tories.

"Broken" is more than appropriate.

I know what you wrote and I know what I wrote - they are different. But can you prove that in 2014 the number in favour of Scottish independence was much higher than the result of the referendum? Really? I would have thought that a genuine desire for permanent independence would override any dislike of a temporary leader like Salmond. Some things just don't add up, do they?

Perhaps not the best time to talk about Independence for Scotland as there are so many variables. Unemployment in Scotland has always been an issue and it is unlikely Japanese or German car companies would move even further, geographically, from the EU. The arguments about who owns North Sea oil will obviously end badly for Scotland if England is so desperate for resources (and own all the funds Scotland needs).

I have always felt that if Scots want independence they should get it. But no begging for handouts after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

A total of 63 countries have gained independence from Westminster rule, absolutely no reason why Scotland should not have the opportunity to make it 64, after all the the UK government spoke up in favour of independence during the court case regarding the Kosovo UDI.

Problem Scotland faces is that Bojo is fundamentally 2 faced and hasn't got the baxxs to tell the queen he won brexit but lost both unions.

He didn't win Brexit. You are way ahead of yourself as usual.

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If I was to post 10 times a day that Brexiteers are motivated by innate racism and xenophobia, would you not take offence? Because that is what you do, repeatedly, except  you are painting the majority of Scots as anti english. Every single time you are challenged you fail to offer any evidence to support your claim, yet still you repeat it. It is, I must admit, very disappointing that you would stoop so low.

So I'll fire the question straight back at you but I won't call you a liar because I am above that. I honestly believe that there is a good percentage of nationalists in Scotland that are xenophobic and really do hate the English and also anyone who does not vote for the SNP are classified as traitors, are you disputing this? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

So I'll fire the question straight back at you but I won't call you a liar because I am above that. I honestly believe that there is a good percentage of nationalists in Scotland that are xenophobic and really do hate the English and also anyone who does not vote for the SNP are classified as traitors, are you disputing this? 

What percentage?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Most Brexiteers I speak to aren't bothered about it. Scotland is like a 16 year old kid who thinks they are getting a raw deal in the family house, moves into a bedsit and gets a rude awakening when they have to pay their first months rent.

If you think the EU are going to offer you a great deal then you might have to think again. You think they'll match the 2000 per head that you currently get? Match the great deal on tuition fees, prescriptions etc. You think they want another net recipient? You think they will bend the rules on budget deficits to let you join? 

All of this for Independence? How are you independent if Brussels is deciding your budget, your laws, your regulations? You're jumping out of the fire pan and into the fire. Ruled by Brussels instead of by Westminster. Independence? Far from it.

Far from it and further from it than now. But I would say that the EU are likely bend the rules - they do it as and when it suits them, and as we have already seen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

London voted to remain in the EU. Does London get to leave the UK and join Scotland?

You see where I am going with this?

Orkney and Shetland are regions of a country. Not countries in themselves.

image.png.fb391920673249f8c0669ccc4b5e5062.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It depends upon your definition of 'a good percentage'. Personally, I would dispute that there is anything other than a tiny fringe of people who could rightly be described as anti-English. 

There is one high profile nutter with a banner who has been widely condemned by the SNP and the independence movement. Other than him, there is little to suggest, to the best of my knowledge, that there is any truth in your repeated claim.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, crazykopite said:

SNP only have 45% of the vote share that tells me only 45% of good Scottish folk want independence that tells me there is not a majority in Scotland for independence. I think she pushing it through as come the next elections SNP vote will be even lower than the 45% my own personal view is those who want Independence should pack there bags wherever they live abroad and move back home as Nicola will need all the help to just break even in the economy if they become independent. The loss of income just from the withdrawal of military personnel and the 10s of 1,000s of civilians who are employed in the Submarine base would be an absolute disaster for the region . The grass is not always greener on the other side .

A vote for SNP does not have to be equal to a vote for independance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Perhaps not the best time to talk about Independence for Scotland as there are so many variables.

When would be a good time to talk about independence, in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Unemployment in Scotland has always been an issue

Not particularly true when compared to other formerly industrialised parts of the UK.

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

it is unlikely Japanese or German car companies would move even further, geographically, from the EU.

???

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

The arguments about who owns North Sea oil will obviously end badly for Scotland if England is so desperate for resources (and own all the funds Scotland needs).

Hahahaha - are you Mark Francois, coming out of your period of very uncommon hiding?

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I have always felt that if Scots want independence they should get it. But no begging for handouts after.

What does that even mean? No begging for handouts? Sort your own house out, my friend. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trucking said:

If the Scots want independence why not ?  But don't ask them because they might fluff it again.

You have to put it to the English. Do you think Scotland should be independent ...yes or no ?

Problem sorted and Scotland becomes independent. Where's the problem ?

The only difficulty arises if Scotland joins the EU as an independent nation.

That would , in the end lead to a hard border between Scotland and the rest of the British Isles.

If everyone is o.k. with that , then let it happen. 

But in inter-EU-border with Ireland.

11 hours ago, crazykopite said:

SNP only have 45% of the vote share that tells me only 45% of good Scottish folk want independence that tells me there is not a majority in Scotland for independence. I think she pushing it through as come the next elections SNP vote will be even lower than the 45% my own personal view is those who want Independence should pack there bags wherever they live abroad and move back home as Nicola will need all the help to just break even in the economy if they become independent. The loss of income just from the withdrawal of military personnel and the 10s of 1,000s of civilians who are employed in the Submarine base would be an absolute disaster for the region . The grass is not always greener on the other side .

Based on that nonsense, I am guessing only you first heard of Scotland about half an hour ago.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

We should let the Scots leave. Would be fun seeing them use the Scottish Pound and trying to run an economy without trading with England.

Why not to trade with England ? Just the WTO-import duty regulations extra. But for Scotland nothing in trade between the EU and Ireland.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

- By the time they're ready to apply there won't be an ???????? to join.

- My Blue passport arrived in June.

HTH

Looking to the support by all voters inside the EU, I expect earlier an England to split apart in Northumberland, Mercia, East Anglia, Sussex, Wessex, Kent, Cornwall ...

Eur social survay member EU.webp

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

This sort of post just cracks me up. 

You do realise, don't you, that Scotland is England's 2nd largest trading partner? 

England is surely Scotland's biggest trading partner too but that hasn't stopped you banging the drum.

• Thanks 1