UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Ah yes, Lend - Lease. Signed into law by the President of The United States on March 11 1941. By which time the immediate threat of invasion had rather subsided.

If you are going to argue "robblok" you could at least try to do so from some basis of factual knowledge!

You forget a lot of US help before, like the Destroyers for Bases Agreement, and a LOT of supply of weapons, and other needed material to fight the Germans.  In a fact an act of war of the US against Germany starting in 1939.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But nobody is making statements suggesting Scotland would refuse to trade with England. To suggest that independence means an iron curtain across which no trade will occur is ludicrous. Besides, what will you do for power, gas, water... 

I'm not arguing RR, I'm just pointing out that you seem to be milking yet another dead-horse ???????????????????????????? thread.

Has anyone seen 49?

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'm not arguing RR, I'm just pointing out that you seem to be milking yet another dead-horse ???????????????????????????? thread.

Has anyone seen 49?

Is the whole point of TVF World News not to discuss topical issues? Should I sit this one out? 

• Like 2

Was going to make a comment of this - but its pointless - Beliefs are to well engrained in folk - I believe that Scotland had its chance in the 70, when oil prices and exploration were in its favour and the massive amount of revenue would have secured a solid future - I don't believe this is now the case, I don't think we even have the silicon valley (or is it Glen?) that we used to have. As for Brexit, well time will tell - you can bury your head in the sand, or move forward, although given the trouble in the EU now, Im not so confident its the place to be in the future, as I say time, and a confidence in our own (UK) destiny will tell (I'm looking at this objectively as opposed to belonging to any particular camp).

I'm will leaving Scotland and therefore the UK soon enough (Hopefully). I will always be interested in the country, but as its my choice to leave - I will refrain from future votes - I don't believe that my view has a bearing on those who have to live with a voting outcome whether General/Local elections or referendums. If it was that important to me, I would not leave, and if I had, then I would return. simple

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveCW said:

Was going to make a comment of this - but its pointless - Beliefs are to well engrained in folk - I believe that Scotland had its chance in the 70, when oil prices and exploration were in its favour and the massive amount of revenue would have secured a solid future - I don't believe this is now the case, I don't think we even have the silicon valley (or is it Glen?) that we used to have. As for Brexit, well time will tell - you can bury your head in the sand, or move forward, although given the trouble in the EU now, Im not so confident its the place to be in the future, as I say time, and a confidence in our own (UK) destiny will tell (I'm looking at this objectively as opposed to belonging to any particular camp).

I'm will leaving Scotland and therefore the UK soon enough (Hopefully). I will always be interested in the country, but as its my choice to leave - I will refrain from future votes - I don't believe that my view has a bearing on those who have to live with a voting outcome whether General/Local elections or referendums. If it was that important to me, I would not leave, and if I had, then I would return. simple

All fair and above bored. Nice change really.

19 hours ago, kingdong said:

and if you do get your wish and your independence,don,t come whingeing back when the eu wants handouts from you like they did from the uk,you kak your bed and you lay in it.and by the way its sown not sewn.

No problem! The sooner the better! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

I know what you wrote and I know what I wrote - they are different. But can you prove that in 2014 the number in favour of Scottish independence was much higher than the result of the referendum? Really? I would have thought that a genuine desire for permanent independence would override any dislike of a temporary leader like Salmond. Some things just don't add up, do they?

"I would have thought that a genuine desire for permanent independence would override any dislike of a temporary leader like Salmond."

Quite obviously you never heard his speeches as a student activist. There is an old saying about leopards and spots, the older Scots had not forgotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

"I would have thought that a genuine desire for permanent independence would override any dislike of a temporary leader like Salmond."

Quite obviously you never heard his speeches as a student activist. There is an old saying about leopards and spots, the older Scots had not forgotten.

Correct, I didn't. But if that is true, would that not hamper his SNP winning a majority of parliamentary seats more than affecting an independence referendum?

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Who was PM when the UK voted to leave the EU?

Are you trying to say that PM actually took the UK out of the EU, must have missed that bit.

Of course you are perfectly free to believe that the referendum result was a legal and binding contract with the EU.

The pigs are refueled, AF'd, BF'd and ready to fly.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that PM actually took the UK out of the EU, must have missed that bit.

Of course you are perfectly free to believe that the referendum result was a legal and binding contract with the EU.

The pigs are refueled, AF'd, BF'd and ready to fly.

You said that Bojo won brexit. He didn't. He was just PM when we actually left.

The referendum was just as legal as the one in 1975 and so was the result. Nothing to do with any  contract with the EU.

Have a good flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do you really think that voting would be split the same way on a yes/no answer as in electing candidates.

Like many you cannot seem to separate out the difference between the right to choose and making the choice.

There is no moral argument that can deny Scotland the right to determine it's own future. When the time comes to make that choice it would be up to the people of Scotland to assess the Scottish government proposal and make their own mind up.

In 2014 a 650 page white paper was published prior to the vote, remind me what did the UK government publish, nothing, made it up as they went along. 

What I really think is that you are veering off track so far you are about to overtake yourself. Why not stick to the point at hand and answer the question?

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am unclear as to how you can assume I was using the term Brexiteer in a derogatory manner. My statement was in direct response to a statement referring to 'SNP Remainers'. I have no issue being labelled thus - what is the preferred term for a group of anti-EU voters?

But to suggest we are all Brexiteers is a bit like suggesting we are all Tories - thankfully brainwashing and forced conformity are not part of the Nasty Party manifesto - yet.

Nasty Party, I thought you were an SNP bloke........????