Phuket Seafood & Gastronomy Festival 2020

MarkT63

Hi

Just wantd to check if anyone has been to one of the festival weekends yet this year and any feedback?

Also, does anyone know exactly where it is being held this weekend, 5/6 September?

Advertised as Karon on one site, Palai Beach on another and Saphan Hin on a third.

Cheers

A friend said his wife was going to Pai Lai to get lobsters, did I want any. Foolishly thinking they would be fresh off a fishing boat I said yes, I'll have two, and made arrangements to boil up the catch in a big pot.

What I received were two baby, spiny lobsters the size of which would attract huge fines in home country if I were caught in possession. They had been butterflied, over grilled and served in a polystyrene container complete with plastic fork and a small container of the ubiquitous Thai dipping sauce.

The small tasteless morsels cost 200 baht each and left me with a guilty feeling that I was complicit in the decimation of the species in local waters.

I can confirm that there must have been a seafood festival happening at Pai Lai on Sunday.

I've reaffirmed my resolve to never again buy lobster in Thailand.

They now have food stands on Patong beach every week, Fri/Sat/Sun...

They had a show and a sing and dance last weekend, I have also been to Krabi festival the week before, much grander affair, absolutely packed with people, never seen so many Thai teenagers in one place...

Lucky no corona or the way they were packed there it would have been a great outbreak...!