China wants a canal to cross Thailand into the Indian Ocean

webfact

39 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Maybe a daft question ... if this is intended to be used for speeding up supplies  during a 'time of war' .. Would it not be pretty easy to just bomb the canal ? ... a bit like shooting fish in a barrel ?

Or a sending a few torpedoes along it with a ship in it .. would be a nice 'plug'

Any aggressors will be intercepted by Thai submarines! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

In reality the world should look at this as a potential act of world control and domination. Silent world war 3 here. I really think China needs its nose bloodied sooner than the later.

Silent WWIII? The Chinese have inflicted the corona virus on 26.4 million people world wide and killed 873 thousand without firing a single bullet! They have taken the South China Sea and have their sights firmly on Taiwan, but I don't think they have the balls to take Taiwan! 

Edited by PatOngo
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I wouldn't look to the US for help. It may not even be a single, unified country in a few more years. A lot of people who hate the US are about to get what they've been dreaming of. I wonder if they're going to like the world it produces?

Don't count the USA out yet. They may be bickering inside with each other, but when push comes to shove they will all stand beside each other against the little commies, then probably go back after to continue their internal conflict bickering.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Silent WWIII? The Chinese have inflicted the corona virus on 26.4 million people world wide and killed 873 thousand without firing a single bullet! They have taken the South China Sea and have their sights firmly on Taiwan, but I don't think they have the balls to take Taiwan! 

I actually think it is just a matter of time before they invade Taiwan. Just testing the waters at this time so to speak. Now building a canal though Thailand is a direct advancement and warning to India

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

I actually think it is just a matter of time before they invade Taiwan. Just testing the waters at this time so to speak. Now building a canal though Thailand is a direct advancement and warning to India

I think if they invade Taiwan, the USA will give them a good spanking! The Chinese are certainly sabre rattling, I feel they are trying to provoke a confrontation but won't fire the first shot. They are too sly, spread the virus to weaken the opposition!

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I think if they invade Taiwan, the USA will give them a good spanking! The Chinese are certainly sabre rattling, I feel they are trying to provoke a confrontation but won't fire the first shot. They are too sly, spread the virus to weaken the opposition!

Yes very sly great conniving liars always saying that they are the minority being persecuted. US just sailed one or 2 destroyers through the straight several days ago and I think there is the US Ronald Reagan carrier fleet in and about over in the Philippines area. It is very close to the verge of a skirmish breaking out and I actually am all for it. I think India, the Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam and Japan, Australia and Indonesia wouldn't be crying a river if it happened. You might be able to hear a cheer in space from the Hong Kong suppressed good people.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

So how many ships a year would take the new canal?

From what I understand Singapore would not suffer any loss of traffic.  The Straits of Malacca are already at full capacity.  A canal across the Kra Isthmus would provide additional capacity with a savings due to the shorter route, but not enough capacity to replace all the traffic through the Straits of Malacca.  That at least was the situation before Covid.  Probably this year the total traffic is down, but assuming Covid declines then the additional capacity would be fully utilized.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Perfect timing of the Chinese government as the Thai government is now desperate for foreign investment

I've visited a couple of the EEC industrial estates last year. Practically ALL companies that have begun setting up shop there were indeed Chinese. And the EEC is not even fully constructed yet.

It's easy, the Chinese can - borrow money from the World Bank at zero or very low rates and then lend it to Thailand at much higher interest rates in order that Thailand can pay for the construction of the canal.  When Thailand can't pay back the loan or interest China then takes possession of the canal - it's called Belt and Road.

Just now, animalmagic said:

It's easy, the Chinese can - borrow money from the World Bank at zero or very low rates and then lend it to Thailand at much higher interest rates in order that Thailand can pay for the construction of the canal.  When Thailand can't pay back the loan or interest China then takes possession of the canal - it's called Belt and Road.

There will come a time; and not far off, when the World bank, the IMF, BofIS and FED become irrelevant. China will launch its own - gold backed - currency soon.

What a boost for the proponents of Thailand's submarines. Able to shoot through the canal at a moment's notice.

Thailand should welcome this plan, or remain in the shadowy, third world.

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Under the Anglo-Thai peace treaty signed in 1946, they are not allowed to build a canal without permission from the British Government....along with the fact it would offer the resurgents in the South advantages, it isn't going to happen...

Hong Kong was also given under the treaty until 2047, Chinese dont respect any treaty and they will sure not respect above mentioned also, they will force out this canal one way or another. 

Now that Thailand has committed to the deepsea water port in Burma & already spent billions to make a 4 lane highway from Tak to Mae Sot & now Ital Thai working on the port facilities I doubt this will get off the ground although it has been mooted for 30 years.

The Thai Governments present & past cannot even agree to put the tunnel from Phuket to Patong,

a very small project in comparasin & the amount of monies they have made out of Patong over the years would make your eyes water

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Under the Anglo-Thai peace treaty signed in 1946, they are not allowed to build a canal without permission from the British Government....along with the fact it would offer the resurgents in the South advantages, it isn't going to happen...

I read a recent report Online from a reputable News Source ( cant remember  who ) , that the Thais had rejected the idea, as it would bring little Financial rewards to the Country.

The passage charges in relation to say the Panama Canal would only be about 15% of the value,  due to the  short voyage time saved over the Panama that cuts out a whole Continent.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

What a boost for the proponents of Thailand's submarines. Able to shoot through the canal at a moment's notice.

Bit of bother having to rebuild the lock gates after they've shot through though. Can't they just wait for the gatekeepers like everyone else?

• Haha 1