Two western tourists to be deported for catching protected marine species

webfact

10 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

Since when have sharks fin soup restaurants been illegal?  Working on tourist visas sure is.

But not until one "wakes up a fish"?

A prejudiced person ( a person quite unlike myself) might think that his status/activity was well known, but that certain people were, for their own benefit, "looking the other way".

And that the present focus of attention made it necessary for them to look like they never knew......but now they do.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

For goodness sake people, read the details.

Both of these guys were on tourist visas.

Both had businesses and were working illegally. THAT is why they are being deported.

One had a dive business (illegally) and should know the laws of the sea. Do not touch anything in a conservation area.

They (stupidly) posted on facebook, their illegal activity, their illegal businesses and were found to be staying away from their permenant residence without completing the legal reporting forms.

And some of you are blaming the Thais? This is nothing to do with Thai fishing boats or anti-farangism. These two people are what cause all of us grief when we try and do things the right way.

Kick them out. Their problem.

Where does it say they have tourist visas? They are not being deported for visa infringements they are having their visas (what type they are no one knows but I doubt tourist visas) revoked because the are considered a "social threat" whatever that means.

8 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Where does it say they have tourist visas? They are not being deported for visa infringements they are having their visas (what type they are no one knows but I doubt tourist visas) revoked because the are considered a "social threat" whatever that means.

In the first paragrah of the news item of this thread.

"Two western tourists, who took a selfie of themselves holding one of Thailand’s species of protected marine wildlife while scuba diving, are to be deported after their tourist visas were revoked."

Visa revoked = no valid visa = deported.

A warning to Divers wanting to come to Thailand “ You do so at your own risk “ yet walk on any beach you will see people digging for shell creatures to take home to cook yet these two guys are being deported for having a selfie with a sea cucumber utter madness .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The World Conservation Union has assessed this species as Endangered worldwide, as it is taken by commercial fisheries across most of its range (except off Australia) for meat, fins, and liver oil. There is evidence that its numbers are dwindling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_shark

you've got the point.

1511151156_1-org.jpg

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

A warning to Divers wanting to come to Thailand “ You do so at your own risk “ yet walk on any beach you will see people digging for shell creatures to take home to cook yet these two guys are being deported for having a selfie with a sea cucumber utter madness .

There is no need for a warning to legitimate tourists.

These two people were on tourist visas and working illegally, for many years. End of.

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

In the first paragrah of the news item of this thread.

"Two western tourists, who took a selfie of themselves holding one of Thailand’s species of protected marine wildlife while scuba diving, are to be deported after their tourist visas were revoked."

Visa revoked = no valid visa = deported.

Have to admit you got me there. I should have worded it more carefully ????

My view, considering their history and status on the island (1 business, wife and kids 2) head chef (not just a cook) I think we will find their visas are real (not tourist) and in order. No where in any of the reportage (best is on the enquirer btw) does it says they have broken visa rules.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

At least his boat didn't sink or catch fire.

Good point . 

Hopefully the boat owner , will learn the tricks of the trade .

All in good time . 555

On 9/5/2020 at 4:21 PM, MRToMRT said:

Have to admit you got me there. I should have worded it more carefully ????

My view, considering their history and status on the island (1 business, wife and kids 2) head chef (not just a cook) I think we will find their visas are real (not tourist) and in order. No where in any of the reportage (best is on the enquirer btw) does it says they have broken visa rules.

Your comments should be correct. Foolish for anyone to have a business whilst on a tourist visa. But, it does happen.

Coconuts said the same thing on 3/9 but are they just repeating other stories?

'In addition to harassing the deep dwellers, Francesco Simonetti and Attila Ott had violated the terms of their tourist visas and would not be allowed to return, according to bureau spokesman Col. Pakapong Saiubon'

On 9/4/2020 at 10:45 AM, Oldie said:

This makes sense since endless tourist gave them food so that they could take photos with many pigeons sitting on them. But there are still plenty of tourists that don't care or perhaps don't know. And all these well fed pigeons with their offsprings cause a lot of damage to buildings. 

Pigeons sitting on them.

Spell check the second word.

????

• Haha 1

Never been a fan of swimming in the sea to look at fish or whatever.

Fish in batter with chips is my extent of liking the sea.

I believe that the foamy line where the waves break on the land is the civilsation line. Beyond that point you enter an alien world and actually make yourself part of the food chain, and, not anywhere near the top of that food chain.

• Like 1