British man killed in hit and run in Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

British man killed in hit and run in Nakhon Ratchasima

Acc.jpg

Police are investigating after a British man was killed in a hit and run accident in Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday night.

The crash occurred just after 11.30pm on Wednesday.at an intersection near the Phon Lan gate in Muang district.

The 43 year old man (name withheld) was found lying face down in the road with his badly damaged motorbike nearby.

The man had suffered severe injuries to his head, neck and legs and could not be resuscitated despite the efforts of rescue workers. 

A witness told Thairath the man was hit by a truck which then fled the scene.

Police will study CCTV of the area in order to try and locate the truck.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-04

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hope they find the CCTV footage.

-----

I wonder if at 11:30pm there were any alcohol involved (either party). 

Would a Helmet have made a difference???

-----

Not specifically related to the Op, but more towards motorcycling safety.  

I made it a hard unequivocal rules years ago:

- Never ride a motorcycle at night (unless its a local 7-11 trip on a sub soi)

- Never ride with alcohol in my system

- Never ride without a helmet

- Never ride in flip-flops

- If going further than the nearby shops (supermarket etc) on a major road (in day time) wear Boots, Gloves, Kevlar Jeans or riding pants, Moto-jacket with back protector and of course helmet. 

Usually a helmet makes a difference I never drive my bike without.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It does not mention helmet in the report, but study his injuries, serious head injuries, that suggests no helmet.

When i had an accident, only part of my body without injury was my head, due to me wearing a helmet.

Fair play. I thought I was missing a link or something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was my rule for many many years.... 

Then I got married and became a little suicidal !!!! 

Actually, I got married and my Wife and I had no real need for a car each. I got a motorcycle for convenience.

I enjoy riding, even in Bangkok, but we just have to leave the ego at home, assume everyone will pull out in front of you etc and stick to some very serious common sense. 

we have a motorbike at home under a cover ,it is our sons ,he now has a car and has not used it for 4 years, lol,ive not ridden one since it was about 20.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was my rule for many many years.... 

Then I got married and became a little suicidal !!!! 

Actually, I got married and my Wife and I had no real need for a car each. I got a motorcycle for convenience.

I enjoy riding, even in Bangkok, but we just have to leave the ego at home, assume everyone will pull out in front of you etc and stick to some very serious common sense. 

I prefer my bike over my car, especially when its busy. But you have to be really careful. But in the crowded BKK streets usually it does not go fast.

9 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

we have a motorbike at home under a cover ,it is our sons ,he now has a car and has not used it for 4 years, lol,ive not ridden one since it was about 20.

Depends where you live if there is no heavy traffic and parking is easy id use a car. If parking is hell and its really busy then a motorbike makes sens. But again its a personal choice. 

Being hit by a truck I dont think a helmet would help. Driving or riding in Thailand is very much Russian Roulette as every second vehicle is trying to kill you. You can not relax and enjoy as you have to have 100% concentration all the time. Even an empty road can be a killer on a motorbike as dogs will run out into your path. It is an adrenaline ride but there are some great roads and beautiful scenery to ride and see. Everyone risk managed their own lives as it should be. I do miss riding my motorbikes in Thailand. Had some wonderful ride outs with a great bunch of Thais. 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Never ride a motorcycle at night (unless its a local 7-11 trip on a sub soi)

R.I.P. young man...

Went on a 30 day trip on HD Road King up and across the US @ 9,000 miles planned to be at destination before dusk and succeeded all but once... no choice unless wanted to sleep in the woods...  

dangerous riding at night no matter how good you ride...and wear proper

clothing..

Is it true that if you are a training pilot for airlines before you sign up for the training they want you to sign a legal binding document agreement that you will not be allowed to ride a motor-bike. If you break the agreement they will terminate your training.

They don't want to waste lots of money training you as a pilot then you die in a motor bike accident.

I was told about this. Anyone knows.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, late night time, rural setting with little lights around tired drivers rushing home, man on a small m/bike and by the sound of it not wearing protective head gear, recipe for a disaster waiting to happen...

Phone Lan gate is in the city and well lit.

• Thanks 1

One more tragic data point, regardless of the details.  Had the British guy been in a 4 wheeled vehicle, he'd be having dinner with his loved ones this evening.  And they wouldn't be grieving the tragic news.  Just a repair bill for the collision damage.

3 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Is it true that if you are a training pilot for airlines before you sign up for the training they want you to sign a legal binding document agreement that you will not be allowed to ride a motor-bike. If you break the agreement they will terminate your training.

They don't want to waste lots of money training you as a pilot then you die in a motor bike accident.

I was told about this. Anyone knows.

i have no idea but Tom Cruise in Top Gun movie wasn't ok with that

Unfortunately no helmet

a very bad example for a whole generation