Pension Life Certificates

theoldgit

I don't think these forms are "random". I have just received my 3rd form in 2 years and i have only been retired for 2 years. I work on the basis that i will get one at least every year and send one back whether they ask or not. They are clearly out to get any pensioner who dares to live abroad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I have residence in a country with a reciprocal agreement with the UK.  I get a life cert annually. As I spend 5 months a year in Thailand it is a lottery when the letter comes from Newcastle. Anyway, no problem this year as I cannot get to Thailand. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jesse123 said:

I have residence in a country with a reciprocal agreement with the UK.  I get a life cert annually. As I spend 5 months a year in Thailand it is a lottery when the letter comes from Newcastle. Anyway, no problem this year as I cannot get to Thailand. 

The letter actually comes from Holland.

• Haha 1

Exactly! I have just completed my tax return and it should be possible for DWP to check as well as using email to confirm just like my other pension providers. Also the tone in the request is pergorative unlike the polite requests from my other providers.

10 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I have just received my Life Certificate letter, posted from Spring Global Mail, UK, via Laksi Post Office, Bangkok. It is the second one I have received in 10 years in Thailand.

There must be an easier way of doing this. I do a self-assessment tax return every year. Why can't "joined-up" government recognise that if I am paying tax, and sending HMRC a tax return each year, it is more likely than not that I am still breathing.

Yeah I just got one 3 days ago. Took a month to arrive from the letter date. Could be easier ways to do it if that and many other systems were thought about properly!! ????????????????

Edited by DPKANKAN
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I have just received my Life Certificate letter, posted from Spring Global Mail, UK, via Laksi Post Office, Bangkok. It is the second one I have received in 10 years in Thailand.

There must be an easier way of doing this. I do a self-assessment tax return every year. Why can't "joined-up" government recognise that if I am paying tax, and sending HMRC a tax return each year, it is more likely than not that I am still breathing.

I received a request for a Life Certificate last year and was then sent a reminder to submit it within a given period of time, I was then sent another reminder and warned that if I did not comply my Pension would be stopped.  I had in fact sent the form within 6 days of receipt and fortunately sent it by "to be signed for" with a tracking number, equivalent to UK Recorded Deliver.  I emailed to say that it had been sent and gave them the tracking number, which I had also checked, which advised me had been delivered.  I Informed them of this and shortly after received another reminder dated after the date my Certificate had been delivered.  After two very irate emails from me, they conceded that they had in fact received the Certificate on the date shown on the Tracking Record.  Don't trust them and make sure you use the "to be signed for" system and keep hold of your tracking code.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They're only sent to pensioners living abroad, UK pensioners living in the UK never get them.

If you hadn't told them you were living overseas, you wouldn't be getting them either.

If one does as you suggest, by not informing the DWP you live abroad, you must by definition, be committing an act of fraud. I think we all know it is done by some, but if found out, it could be very expensive.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

If one does as you suggest, by not informing the DWP you live abroad, you must by definition, be committing an act of fraud. I think we all know it is done by some, but if found out, it could be very expensive.

Yep, the form clearly states that fact, but chancers will chance it............????

Scan.jpg.f802c7e0a6940d3c0b2131e9c64623bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Just a slight correction,....... a friend WAS sent a life certificate in the UK.

Whilst he claimed his state pension from Thailand he returned to the UK within 12 months and advised a UK address. When he later returned to Thailand he did not advise DWP. He received a couple of years' increases before a life certificate was sent to the UK address where DWP believed him to be living. His family member had moved and no one thought to inform DWP....his pension was stopped. Quickly reinstated on the back of a phone call and he then confirmed that he was going to live in Thailand full time - pension duly frozen.

I can only assume that if you have advised an overseas address at any time you will be 'in the system' for regular life certificates - irrespective of your current address..

If you actually live in the UK and have an official address, you won't get any proof of life certificate sent to you. Living abroad is another story and it's the same procedure in most European countries. 

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

For whom exactly?..the frozen one, obviously   And your definition of "fraud" if you could define it  Thank You

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

I don't think these forms are "random". I have just received my 3rd form in 2 years and i have only been retired for 2 years. I work on the basis that i will get one at least every year and send one back whether they ask or not. They are clearly out to get any pensioner who dares to live abroad.

I have been retired for 11 years and this will be my second letter from the DWP (the first was 2 years ago). It took just over 1 month to get to me and I have 16 weeks from the date of of the letter (3rd August).

I will go to the local state hospital next week and one of the doctors there will sign and stamp it for me, after which I will come home and scan the completed form and post the original off. I will then check with the DWP after a month to see if they have recieved it.

And, NO, they are not out to get any pensioner living abroad. Sorry to dispel your theory.

• Like 2

I have just received my "Life Certificate" - posting date 3/8/2020, received 3/9/2020 - a month later. If that's is now normal it is entirely possible that the completed form will not be delivered to DWP in time. My work pension also requires these certificates, but says do not mail the completed document - just scan and email it. A much more sensible approach allowing for the foibles of international and Thai mail.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have been retired for 11 years and this will be my second letter from the DWP (the first was 2 years ago). It took just over 1 month to get to me and I have 16 weeks from the date of of the letter (3rd August).

I will go to the local state hospital next week and one of the doctors there will sign and stamp it for me, after which I will come home and scan the completed form and post the original off. I will then check with the DWP after a month to see if they have recieved it.

And, NO, they are not out to get any pensioner living abroad. Sorry to dispel your theory.

I saw no option to scan and email in the documents I received, and there is no email address given.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I have never had one and I’m coming up to my 7O th year and I’ve been living at the same address since collecting my pension . I have the HMRC app on my iPad so they always keep me up to date regarding tax changes or if I have underpaid any taxes for that year . I think since retiring from the military nearly 30 years ago of which I get a pension I was only contacted once .My OAP is frozen as I have told them where I live and not given then some fictitious address in the U.K. Now that I am aware of this Life Certificate I will give them a call next week. I do receive each year hard copies of my P60s which arrive end of May. It would be interesting to know if any pensioner has ever had their pension stopped for not returning the life certificate it seems to me to be an utter waste of taxpayers money spending £1,000s chasing pensioners to check if they are alive .

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, izod10 said:

For whom exactly?..the frozen one, obviously   And your definition of "fraud" if you could define it  Thank You

I presume that you would accept "false declaration" as a more accurate phrase to describe someone claiming from Thailand but quoting a UK address.

Someone claiming in the UK and subsequently moving to Thailand would arguably be stretching it to claim 'over-sight' - but I doubt they would ever face legal action for whatever 'crime' they may have committed

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I presume that you would accept "false declaration" as a more accurate phrase to describe someone claiming from Thailand but quoting a UK address.

Someone claiming in the UK and subsequently moving to Thailand would arguably be stretching it to claim 'over-sight' - but I doubt they would ever face legal action for whatever 'crime' they may have committed

Correct,..and correct again,or I would say no declaration+no Life Forms

However I would say this thread is Life Forms,not of whatever imaginary "very expensive" nonsensical  garbage whatever  awaits 

Been retired now probably well over 20 odd years from public sector ,not one Life Form from them either

14 hours ago, Surasak said:

"If one does as you suggest, by not informing the DWP you live abroad, you must by definition, be committing an act of fraud. I think we all know it is done by some, but if found out, it could be very expensive."

I would look up the guidance notes DWP website,and stop putting this gibberish nonsense up,could the Green Eyed Monster be at work  LOL