Flu Shot

SamSanuk

My consultant, world renowned and, has consulted both in the USA and Australia tells me that the new flu shot is available late April in Thailand and that early May is when you should get the shot as our flu season is from June on. November is after the main  flu season here and in effect a waste of time. Our flu season is the same as in Australia & not the same as the US or Europe. I always had mine in September and he told me off for being too late.

Edited by uncleP
  • Like 1

Last year I had a flu shot at the government owned Chiangmai Travel Medicine Clinic on Sridonchai (location shown on Google Maps). I was there for a yellow fever vaccination before a vacation trip to east Africa. They recommended a flu shot, so I got it also. It was only about 350B, so this may be the cheapest place in CM to get it.

This year I was at Ram for a dental appointment a couple of months ago, so I got the shot there. It was about 900B.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:25 AM, uncleP said:

My consultant, world renowned and, has consulted both in the USA and Australia tells me that the new flu shot is available late April in Thailand and that early May is when you should get the shot as our flu season is from June on. November is after the main  flu season here and in effect a waste of time. Our flu season is the same as in Australia & not the same as the US or Europe. I always had mine in September and he told me off for being too late.

That might apply on Oz but not in LOS.

• 1 month later...

Went to CM Ram hospital for a flu shot a few days ago(I live close and it was a shot walk). I heard “must see doctor first”??? I asked why??(always a bad idea in LOS).  I got the usual half smile and “must see doctor first”.  I said what the the heck and did not feel like going anywhere else.  I saw the doctor for about 30 seconds.  Got the vaccine a few minutes later.  .  Total price was 940 Baht.  If I am in LOS next year I will definitely go elsewhere.  

• Haha 1

Was surprised to be offered a flu shot at Lanna Hosp yesterday.  I do go to Lanna on a pretty regular basis.   After seeing my appointed doctor, the nurse took me to the side and gave me the shot.  Bigger surprise..... it was FREE ! ! !   So the biggest surprise..... no pain.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

On 9/4/2020 at 7:25 PM, uncleP said:

thats when i had mine this year at Satahip ,490baht

Well, the influenza center of Thailand disagrees. Below is a chart that shows the frequency of cases by month for the last 3 years. For some reason 2563 is incomplete. But as the doctor said, the rainy season and winter are the worst months. As can be seen from the graph, the worst months may be ahead of us.  I hope the mods allow this to remain even though it's in Thai. I couldn't find one in English.

(As you might expect, the first month listed is January)

120735626_1760196387480451_2304514958321273301_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_eui2=AeE691ysQCJCfOH88a1V8ZK3HWYXc9NTRPgdZhdz01NE-KGMg6N_k62kbFHCuW0d6QgF8u3nqfWrmPmGQh1mZwfR&_nc_ohc=s-HaZk3deMQAX8Tm9TS&_nc_ht=scontent.fcnx3-1.fna&oh=f4844ef7596a7dbc674dd7bc7e8084f0&oe=5FBD61EF

https://www.facebook.com/หมอมนูญ-ลีเชวงวงศ์-FC-604030819763686/photos/pcb.1760196807480409/1760196384147118/

Edited by placeholder

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Well, the influenza center of Thailand disagrees. Below is a chart that shows the frequency of cases by month for the last 3 years. For some reason 2563 is incomplete. But as the doctor said, the rainy season and winter are the worst months. As can be seen from the graph, the worst months may be ahead of us.  I hope the mods allow this to remain even though it's in Thai. I couldn't find one in English.

(As you might expect, the first month listed is January)

120735626_1760196387480451_2304514958321273301_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_eui2=AeE691ysQCJCfOH88a1V8ZK3HWYXc9NTRPgdZhdz01NE-KGMg6N_k62kbFHCuW0d6QgF8u3nqfWrmPmGQh1mZwfR&_nc_ohc=s-HaZk3deMQAX8Tm9TS&_nc_ht=scontent.fcnx3-1.fna&oh=f4844ef7596a7dbc674dd7bc7e8084f0&oe=5FBD61EF

https://www.facebook.com/หมอมนูญ-ลีเชวงวงศ์-FC-604030819763686/photos/pcb.1760196807480409/1760196384147118/

This is an important subject and as such I have asked Sheryl, with her medical background,  to enlighten us. 

It is true that the peak  flu season here is from June through around November (i.e., the rainy season) and that each year's vaccine generally becomes available around May and people should get vaccinated each May.

However it is not the case that being vaccinated later is a waste of time. It is better than nothing; even in the "off" months there is always some flu around.

Anyone who failed to get vaccinated at the start of this year's flu season can certainly benefit from being vaccinated now..but in future should go in mid to late May for it.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is true that the peak  flu season here is from June through around November (i.e., the rainy season) and that each year's vaccine generally becomes available around May and people should get vaccinated each May.

However it is not the case that being vaccinated later is a waste of time. It is better than nothing; even in the "off" months there is always some flu around.

Anyone who failed to get vaccinated at the start of this year's flu season can certainly benefit from being vaccinated now..but in future should go in mid to late May for it.

Do you know if the flu vaccine being administered here is the same at the one that is being administered in the US?

8 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Do you know if the flu vaccine being administered here is the same at the one that is being administered in the US?

No. What is used here is the so-called "Southern Hemisphere"strain, US is the "Northern Hemisphere". So not only is timing different but also the vaccines. People planning to visit US or Europe in the fall or winter need to find a travel clinic here to obtain "Northern Hemisphere" flu shot. Do not go to a regular Thai hospital asking for a flu shot in that instance as what you will receive will nto be the one that protects for the strain of flu found in those places.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No. What is used here is the so-called "Southern Hemisphere"strain, US is the "Northern Hemisphere". So not only is timing different but also the vaccines. People planning to visit US or Europe in the fall or winter need to find a travel clinic here to obtain "Northern Hemisphere" flu shot. Do not go to a regular Thai hospital asking for a flu shot in that instance as what you will receive will nto be the one that protects for the strain of flu found in those places.

Is there any harm in getting both the Northern and Southern hemisphere shots?  I already got a flu shot at CM Ram and need to go the the US.  I could chase around here to find the Northern Hemisphere version of the vaccine, but I was thinking of just getting the shot when I arrive in the US as I know it will be easy since usually they give out that shot at every supermarket and CVS story.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

Is there any harm in getting both the Northern and Southern hemisphere shots?  I already got a flu shot at CM Ram and need to go the the US.  I could chase around here to find the Northern Hemisphere version of the vaccine, but I was thinking of just getting the shot when I arrive in the US as I know it will be easy since usually they give out that shot at every supermarket and CVS story.

None. No problem to get both.

The only problem with waiting till you arrive in US is you might get infected enroute or immediately on arrival.

Might want to call these places to see if any have Northern Hemisphere shot 

http://www.healthcaremedicalclinic.com/contact-us.html

https://www.facebook.com/TravelMedicineClinicChiang

https://www.cmmediclinic.com/vaccinations.html

21 hours ago, how241 said:

I know this is the Chiang Mai forum,  but does anyone know where and how much for the flu shot in Pattaya ??  Thanks

looks like 890 baht at Bangkok Pattaya hospital.  https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/packages-promotions-en/item/1029-4-strains-influenza-vaccine-en.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Last time I looked at a map, Thailand was in the northern hemisphere. Ah well.

My last flu shot in Australia was September 2019, is it worthwhile getting one here now?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Last time I looked at a map, Thailand was in the northern hemisphere. Ah well.

My last flu shot in Australia was September 2019, is it worthwhile getting one here now?

yes, but then after that get new one in May.

Of course Thailand is technically in the Northern hemisphere, that is just an approximate term...just like we refer to Australia as part of "the West"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

None. No problem to get both.

The only problem with waiting till you arrive in US is you might get infected enroute or immediately on arrival.

Might want to call these places to see if any have Northern Hemisphere shot 

http://www.healthcaremedicalclinic.com/contact-us.html

https://www.facebook.com/TravelMedicineClinicChiang

https://www.cmmediclinic.com/vaccinations.html

FWIW, the second link that you poseted was broke.  It should be https://www.facebook.com/TravelMedicineClinicChiangMai

On 10/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, suzannegoh said:

The one I received at CM MediClinic was same as US. It’s considered Northern Hemisphere.

They will be happy to talk to you. They emailed me:

Thank you for contacting CM Mediclinic. New Flu vaccine that is available now is for winter/spring2020-2021 which is the same one as in the U.S. Please let us know if you would like to book an appointment. The cost is 750 baht.

Pretty much all of Asia is in the Northern Hemisphere, except for Indonesia. Anyway SEA is in the subtropical or tropical zone which will be affected by both hemisphere so we have flu activity throughout the year not only in winter. This time of year the new flu vaccine will be northern hemisphere strains.

Is the flu season here the same months as it is in the US ?

Is their any difference between strains of flu here, compared to the US ?

Any data on comparative rates of incidence, symptoms, duration, onset, severity ?

~o:37;

7 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Is the flu season here the same months as it is in the US ?

Is their any difference between strains of flu here, compared to the US ?

Any data on comparative rates of incidence, symptoms, duration, onset, severity ?

~o:37;

Questions 1 and 2 have already been answered in this thread (No and Yes).

For the third question, I am nto aware of any difference in these parameters specific to the strains of flu. The key variable is the age of the person infected and whether they have any other underlying health problems. Flu is always more severe in the very young and the very old, and is especially dangerous for people with co-morbidities, or whose immune systems are for any reason impaired.

• Like 1

An efficient provider of all things vaccine-related is Kriengsak Clinic just opposite the RattiLanna HotelSpa south of the Night Bazaar.  The doctor there is knowledgeable and speaks excellent English. Open odd hours mornings and evenings.  Phone is 053 282 970.

• 2 weeks later...

In Chiang Mai a good clinic to get flu shots is CM MediClinic in Jed Yod area (near Neimann).  Vaccination is 699 THB, and there is virtually no waiting time; in and out in 5 minutes for me.  Good clinic, fluent English, and nice staff.  Their website is:  https://www.cmmediclinic.com/Flu-Vaccine.html