When will an admin delete an off-topic post?

LawrenceN

A couple of weeks ago, I created a topic in the Chiang Mai forum titled,  "Storks displacing egrets." I was a bit disappointed that lots of people responded, "Yup, lots of storks," but ignored the question about a corresponding decrease in egrets. I took it in stride, though. They weren't exactly off-topic, trying to be helpful. Then user dingdongdrb posted a photo of weaver bird nests asking "What kind of bird does these?" I reported it as off-topic. It's still there.

Because there was no action by admins, I wrote a comment to clarify what I was looking for. I specifically mentioned that the post wasn't about weaver birds. User dingdongrb replied with snotty sarcastic remarks. He was the first and only one to use the term "hijacked" for what he did, so he knows what he did. 

All of the above is meant as background. I, as the OP, am not allowed to delete off-topic comments, correct? 

Did an admin look at it and brush it aside, deciding in effect, "Well, it's about birds"? If I wanted an open a discussion about every bird in Thailand, I would have said so. So what am I missing? 

Finally, several times, before posting here, I have seen the request to search "pinned topics." I don't know where to find them. A little help please? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Finally, several times, before posting here, I have seen the request to search "pinned topics." I don't know where to find them. A little help please? 

Pinned topics are the topmost topics listed in the individual forums and are highlighted by a little green pin.

For example, below are the (current) topmost topics in the Forum Support forum:

Capture.JPG

See the little green pins?

And see your topic (at the bottom of the listing in the screen capture) as the latest topic to be responded to in this forum? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Done. 

OK I've looked at your report and yes it had been reported before.

The moderator who looked at the report agreed that it was off-topic but since it had generated a significant number of replies, and was of general interest to the forum, the report was cleared with no further action.

Sometimes we let reports slide by, particularly if the reported posts are not malicious, or troll-like, or personal attacks... we look at topics much like conversations... they can digress slightly and if it's in the best interest of the community to do nothing then that's what we do.

OK, I'm off-topic now and also discussing moderation (which is against Forum Rules) but I hope that you do understand.

6 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

OK I've looked at your report and yes it had been reported before.

The moderator who looked at the report agreed that it was off-topic but since it had generated a significant number of replies, and was of general interest to the forum, the report was cleared with no further action.

Sometimes we let reports slide by, particularly if the reported posts are not malicious, or troll-like, or personal attacks... we look at topics much like conversations... they can digress slightly and if it's in the best interest of the community to do nothing then that's what we do.

OK, I'm off-topic now and also discussing moderation (which is against Forum Rules) but I hope that you do understand.

I suppose I have to accept that. To me, the topic was hijacked and dingdongrb admitted. 

However, since digressions are tolerated, and we're having this conversation, please give me a tip on searching pinned topics. It's not obvious to me how to do that. You don't expect us to scan all 291 pages, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

However, since digressions are tolerated, and we're having this conversation, please give me a tip on searching pinned topics. It's not obvious to me how to do that. You don't expect us to scan all 291 pages, I'm sure. 

Happy to help, but you need to be more specific.

If it has been suggested to you that you first search the pinned topics in any given forum before you post a new topic, it is because they contain many of the most common Q&A that members have posted. This applies to most of the sub-forums on ThaiVisa, not just this one.

If your subject matter is completely new and original then post away! Similarly if you haven't got the time nor inclination to search through all 291 pages then post away! Nobody is gong to shut you down by saying "search the pinned topics first"... they might direct you to a certain post within the pinned topics that answers your question, but please don't be afraid to ask.

• Like 1