Thailand tourism - observations from this weekend

rickudon

8 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Yup, Pattaya was humming......beach chairs full, shops busy, almost like normal times.....minus the few hundred thousand Chinese...????????????????????????????????????????

We went down to Pattaya yesterday and unlike Ao Nang, could hardly be described as closed.

Traffic congestion around Pattaya was as bad as it gets, crawled all the way back up the No 7 to Chonburi. Bit slow on the uptake, should have realised that with the free tolls, going through Sri Ratcha would have been a better option.

• Like 1

I had a drive up to Phu Tabberk on Friday, pretty much every resort fully booked, just some camping or the chancers quoting ridiculous prices left. A place we stayed before was 1200 baht, now quoted 2500 !!

Had a drive to Khao Kho Saturday, bumper to bumper and difficult to get a decent photo with the jostling going on.

Have only myself to blame for taking on a trip with gf, 2 kids and a mil who struggles to walk on a holiday weekend !!

What was I thinking ???? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

hua hin was rammed this weekend too

Yes, it was, but the sois with bars and restaurants that normally cater to Europeans were spookily deserted - I don't know how those establishments are staying open, since they literally have no customers.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You simply cannot evaluate a major holiday weekend, and say things are even close to normal. It is great that the Thais are stepping up, taking advantage of great deals, and supporting the tourism industry. It helps, no doubt. But, it is only a portion of what the hotels, restaurants, and other businesses need. The industry is hurting, big time. 

Thailand needs courageous leadership. They don't have it. The army are major cowards. ANY person from ANY nation should be welcome starting tomorrow, if they are willing to subject themselves to a 14 day quarantine and pay excessive fees for that two week sentence. There is no downside or risk, and only upside for the nation. No groveling from a local consulate should be required. That is utter nonsense. A covid free letter and a booking at an approved hotel. 

They forget we rooms lol