Diving now? - anywhere in Thailand

CrossBones

I am a diver. My girlfriend wants to learn.

I am just wondering if there are any cheap packages or deals on now. Whats happening now in times of Covid is everywhere shut? More expensive? Cheaper?

Where is good to go now for visibility, and for training. 

Thanks

Koh Tao is cheap as always, and there are discounts everywhere else, just google some divecenters in your desired area and give them a call. Many places are indeed shut but still many dive centers here on Phuket and on Koh Tao are operating.

The visibility varies... it's often raining now.

I have no commercial ties with them, but I recommend Sea Fun Divers, in Phuket.

https://www.seafundivers.com/

The guy to speak to is René. He is as knowledgeable as anyone on the island, about anything diving related, and I know that Sea Fun are in business now, because they filled my cylinders only three weeks ago.

If your girlfriend qualifies and likes it, you might consider a trip to the Similan Islands, on the west coast, north of Phuket. It's the only truly-world-class diving in Thailand and well worth a trip. René will be able to tell you all about it.

Have fun    ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a Whale Shark at Anemone Reef off Phuket last Sunday with Sea Bees. Not the cheapest but known for best quality on the island.

Ko Tao...  after the murders, I don't put my foot anymore on that island. Ko Lipe is another option

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fdsa said:

Koh Tao is cheap as always, and there are discounts everywhere else, just google some divecenters in your desired area and give them a call. Many places are indeed shut but still many dive centers here on Phuket and on Koh Tao are operating.

The visibility varies... it's often raining now.

I have a friend that lives in Koh Tao and operates a dive supply store there, and he tells that it is literally dead, not hardly anyone there.

I see diving taught in our village saltwater pool...it is quite deep at one end. As far as I know anyone can use the pool and it is empty during most of the day.

There is one diving school who seem to use it quite often but as far as I know they just pay like anyone else.

I think the diving in Thailand pales compared to real diving sites.  Like Cuzumel, Bahamas .  Can I say Phuket and koh phi phi suck.  No fish, low viz, maybe not crowded now.   Fresh signs of fishing drag nets on phi phi side reefs.  Lots of net fragments  on chunks of reef they broke off and drug out into the sand.  I think Thailand diving prime  was 25 ,,years ago.  Go to similan ..  oh and the price is as high as anywhere.  Most dive masters  in Thailand don't know what sh*t they  dive because they have no worldly experience.    At least the Chinese cattle boats should be gone.   

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Fresh signs of fishing drag nets on phi phi side reefs. 

lol, what about fish traps on PROTECTED dive sites like Shark Point and King Cruiser? But they were placed by Thai nationals so mai pin rai.

Judging by the sea cucumber handling news Thailand will get much less appealing to the foreign divers.

Avoid the Gulf entirely. Not only is Dark Tao dangerous, due to a serial killer on the loose, the quality of diving there is truly horrendous, and the water quality is really poor. And it is grossly overpriced. At least it used to be. My guess is many the resort owners have been humbled by Covid. 

Of my 10-15 dives there, only once did we have visibility better than 10 feet or so. In NW Bali, it is normally at least 100 feet. Within Thailand, the Andaman is far better diving. It is worth it.  

Edited by spidermike007

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Avoid the Gulf entirely. Not only is Dark Tao dangerous, due to a serial killer on the loose, the quality of diving there is truly horrendous, and the water quality is really poor. And it is grossly overpriced. At least it used to be. My guess is many the resort owners have been humbled by Covid. 

Of my 10-15 dives there, only once did we have visibility better than 10 feet or so. In NW Bali, it is normally at least 100 feet. Within Thailand, the Andaman is far better diving. It is worth it.  

Talking total BS. You don’t mention the current in Bali do you?

I’ve done several hundred dives around Koh Tao, sometimes the visibility was poor on some sites, though on the same day it was OK on others. 
Koh Tao has the advantage that some sites are a few minutes from the dock and nothing more than 45 minutes. Few places have sites close enough for 5 dives a day.

Nothing is anywhere as good as the Coral Sea but that needs 24 hours to get there from most ports.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Talking total BS. You don’t mention the current in Bali do you?

I’ve done several hundred dives around Koh Tao, sometimes the visibility was poor on some sites, though on the same day it was OK on others. 
Koh Tao has the advantage that some sites are a few minutes from the dock and nothing more than 45 minutes. Few places have sites close enough for 5 dives a day.

Nothing is anywhere as good as the Coral Sea but that needs 24 hours to get there from most ports.

Yes, the current Bali. In the NW area, near the Java Strait. I believe it was called the Manjangan Island. A 200ft. wall right off the beach, with visibility of over 100 ft. Spectacular. We used the current, as a drift dive, which was alot of fun. Boats picked us up a few miles away! Some of the least interesting diving I have ever done. 

Dark Tao sucks, much more now than ever, with the serial killer still on the loose. 

Edited by spidermike007