Phuket hotels fighting for their lives as domestic tourism fails to support the island

webfact

"We strongly advocate a safe, pragmatic, and strategic reopening for foreign travellers.”

Safe & pragmatic? Does this fit together? Or did he mean" We strongly advocate a reopening for foreign travellers". I think it safe to say that this would be very pragmatic. 

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Totally agree and why does it get all the press? Pattaya and Bangkok are far bigger tourist destinations and hurting just as bad. At least they've realised that local tourism just doesn't cut the mustard

Cus the funds from Phuket went back to the Goverment unencumbered hence a bigger slice of the pie Bangkok received!!!! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Anyhow, pretty clear from that infographic on flight arrivals that Phuket is having, and is in for, a very hard time. Best case scenario, it's going to be at least a year in total (Q1 2021) before anything gets back to something approaching 'normal'. It would be interesting to see August's figures, certainly quite a few of my Thai colleagues have been taking the chance to visit Phuket recently.

Without wanting to stick the boot in, like another said, I have only been twice in my 20 odd years in Thailand. I can't say I didn't enjoy both trips overall but the price gouging was blatant and left an unpleasant taste. This was not limited to foreign guests, Thais have had similar experiences.

Somewhat amusing that Phuket is now having to rely for its survival on the very group it has previously alienated....

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

What you had was BS !

Hahahaha!

43 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Of course they lie, but it's not about truth, it's all about FACE! To be maintained at any cost.

Hahahaha!

I am so happy that you hung on to the thought they I didn´t know that. Ever heard of sarcasm?