TOT Megabit Offer 1GB/500MB 749 Baht/month

Dario

Looks to me irresistible. Isn't that even way better then the current True 1 GB offer? We are currently at a TOT 500MB/100MB promotion and pay 908.43 Baht/month. The new promotion looks way better. We're going to our TOT office today to find out and change.

gigabolt new promo.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to pay 1300 bahtish for my TOT connection which was pretty reliable.

While away the Mrs changed it to a 900 baht promotion which now struggles with a bit of weather around.

Can someone explain in laymens terms why the signal buffers or stops in bad weather when it's fibre optic?

Out of interest, unless you're running a server with a lot of traffic, do you really see a real world improvement in download speed going from 500Mbps to 1000?  I have 500/500 from AIS and even from obscure overseas locations the actual waiting time is negligible.  Overseas downloads are rather slow this morning for some reason - I have 130/220 to the US at the moment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Out of interest, unless you're running a server with a lot of traffic, do you really see a real world improvement in download speed going from 500Mbps to 1000?  I have 500/500 from AIS and even from obscure overseas locations the actual waiting time is negligible.  Overseas downloads are rather slow this morning for some reason - I have 130/220 to the US at the moment.

I do when I’m running a basic vpn and streaming. I used to believe it didn’t matter past a certain threshold, but it’s been my experience that as your bandwidth increases, so does everything else, including vpn speeds and foreign server access. 

I also game, and downloading a 45GB game is WAY faster on a 1gig connection. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Greenside said:

For downloads and everything else its useful i have 1gb/1gb of 3bb always liked it but i use it for work too. 

4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I do when I’m running a basic vpn and streaming. I used to believe it didn’t matter past a certain threshold, but it’s been my experience that as your bandwidth increases, so does everything else, including vpn speeds and foreign server access. 

I also game, and downloading a 45GB game is WAY faster on a 1gig connection. 

I was led to believe, and so it seems on my 3BB 1Gb connection, that this speed only applies to connections within Thailand, and how many of them are pumping out at 1Gb? As soon as you go ábroad', the speed drops. 

• Like 2

There have been times when I have taken their offer for increased speed,

and it did not always turn out to be better, I have Fiber 2 U, 400Mb/400Mb

for 524 THB per month,It works good for me,Streaming been the most

important no buffering so I just stick with that.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dario said:

Looks to me irresistible. Isn't that even way better then the current True 1 GB offer? We are currently at a TOT 500MB/100MB promotion and pay 908.43 Baht/month. The new promotion looks way better. We're going to our TOT office today to find out and change.

My 3BB 1GB (631bht/month) rarely makes it to 500MB.

Don't believe the fake numbers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

Ive got true 1gig fiber but looking to ditch them (again) and go with something cheaper. 

Price  is not much of an issue for me, quality is far more important. I use it so much so it is not something i economize on. What if you can save 400bt a month.. its nothing in the grand scheme of things. (unless its the same quality then why not)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dario said:

Let us know how you get on, we're on the 500/200 plan at some silly money.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My 3BB 1GB (631bht/month) rarely makes it to 500MB.

Don't believe the fake numbers.

When I got a free upgrade from 3BB 400/400 to 1000/500, I could only get around 520Mbps download speed. I contacted 3BB and next day they came and replaced my existing Hauwei router with a newer model (I have an Asus RT-AC86U router connected to the supplied 3BB router in bridge mode). I now get download speeds of around 940Mbps using Cat6 ethernet.

speedtest.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
add speedtest

3 hours ago, Dario said:

I changed the package from 400/400 to 1Gb/500 in May 2020 and pay less money. However, the download speed of 1Gb is virtually impossible to achieve. It reaches on average 400-700 Mb. Upload of 500 Mb is reached often. So, in all, good choice to change the package because it's better and cheaper. 

Intermediate update: we changed to the 1GB/500 MB package for 749 Baht, but now we just got 303.7MB/120.3MB. Strange, isn't it? But this is Thailand. We'll re-contact TOT. This is pretty normal with TOT. Just wait.

true internet speedtest 080920 1228.JPG

20 minutes ago, Dario said:

now we just got 303.7MB/120.3MB. Strange, isn't it?

It might help if you use the in-house speed test of your provider (TOT), and not the competitor (TRUE).

http://speedtest1.totbroadband.com:8080/

Any Internet provider's advertised subscription speed are only in-network.

Once your data packets have left your provider's network they are on their own, with speed and quality subject to inter-connect agreements, pathway carry capacity, user balancing algorithms, network congestion, and a host of every other element that comes into play when communicating across foreign network and distances. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

It might help if you use the in-house speed test of your provider (TOT), and not the competitor (TRUE).

Any Internet provider's advertised subscription speed are only in-network.

Once your data packets have left your provider's network they are on their own, with speed and quality subject to inter-connect agreements, pathway carry capacity, user balancing algorithms, network congestion, and a host of every other element that comes into play when communicating across foreign network and distances. 

I don't know. The TOT guys who installed the system at our home use the True site. But now I just used the Microsoft OOkla site and that is what we get. It means, TOT has not yet changed us to the new package:

ms speedtest 080920 1324.JPG

Hello Dario, and anyone else listening today:

Is there a web link to the promotion shown by Dario, I am not able to locate it on the ToT website. All I can find is shown in this screen shot.

Thank you all.

SCR 2020-09-08 at 1.36.02 PM.jpg

Edited by xofswen

32 minutes ago, Dario said:

But now I just used the Microsoft OOkla site and that is what we get.

What do you get when you use the actual TOT speedtest?

Also, is the testing system connected to your router via an Ethernet 1gbps wired connection?

Anyone get a better deal with staying with the same Company ?

Next month is 17 years with True, [17 years ago when the house was built TRUE was the only one in this area] every time we go to cancel because there is cheaper they reduce the bill.. 

Signed again 3 months ago for 24 months @ 544 baht per month = 1GB/500 MB package + IPTV box + 100 mins of Free calls on my mobile - they even called in and changed to a new Router, look the same as the old one.. last 18 month contract was 590 baht month..

Just tested 691.47 download Mbps   222.78 upload Mbps

39 minutes ago, RichCor said:

What do you get when you use the actual TOT speedtest?

Also, is the testing system connected to your router via an Ethernet 1gbps wired connection?

With the TOT speedtest I hardly get 400MB down right now.

Good question, but that I really don't know. My wife will try to contact the local TOT office by phone.

UPDATE: My wife just called TOT. Apparently we cannot get this new promotion, since we have a "government sponsored" setup. Woaw, why TOT did not tell us hen we were at the office?

Edited by Dario

16 minutes ago, Dario said:

With the TOT speedtest I hardly get 400MB down right now.

Good question, but that I really don't know. My wife will try to contact the local TOT office by phone.

I think you misunderstand my question.

Is the computer you're using to do the speedtest connected to your router via an Ethernet cable?
What results to you get when using the TOT Speed Test?

...and these question are moot given: 

16 minutes ago, Dario said:

UPDATE: My wife just called TOT. Apparently we cannot get this new promotion, since we have a "government sponsored" setup. Woaw, why TOT did not tell us hen we were at the office?

Likely when talking to you they just assumed your had a standard consumer subscriber account like most everyone else they typically deal with. Even if they pulled up your record on their PC they're unlikely to check account type if they're already assuming you're a normal customer.

So the real question might be, is the "government sponsored" package 'cheaper' or can you get off the government sponsored subscription for a different (faster and/or cheaper) consumer subscription.