TOT Megabit Offer 1GB/500MB 749 Baht/month

Dario

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I think you misunderstand my question.

Is the computer you're using to do the speedtest connected to your router via an Ethernet cable?
What results to you get when using the TOT Speed Test?

http://speedtest1.totbroadband.com:8080/

...and these question are moot given: 

Likely when talking to you they just assumed your had a standard consumer subscriber account like most everyone else they typically deal with. Even if they pulled up your record on their PC they're unlikely to check account type if they're already assuming you're a normal customer.

So the real question might be, is the "government sponsored" package 'cheaper' or can you get off the government sponsored subscription for a different (faster and/or cheaper) consumer subscription.

Unfortunatly, nothing else is possible. We live in Nakhon Nowhere. We're lucky that we have Internet 500/100 and we're the only one in the village.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greenside said:

Out of interest, unless you're running a server with a lot of traffic, do you really see a real world improvement in download speed going from 500Mbps to 1000?

I have 3BB 1000/500 and watch speeds with netmeter.

Fastest I get are certain youtube video downloads (WinX downloader) at 300 to 400 MBit/s.

Exception of course: Speedtest.net to closest 3BB server which comes close to nominal numbers.

For live streaming rates above 100 can not make any difference.

But it's cheap and I enjoy the benchmark numbers.

How much speed do you use by using wifi instead of cable (ethernet)? I'm supposed to have 1GB with 3BB and I don't even reach 150 on my laptop. It also connects speed test to Bangkok when I'm in Kalasin Province, which seems a bit odd. My previous five-year old laptop couldn't get beyond 100 when I had a 200 package, and the engineer who tested my box put that down to the limitation of my computer then which seemed logical thinking back to its specifications.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the speed I do get. Perfectly good enough for IPTV, and I don't do gaming.

9 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:
10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My 3BB 1GB (631bht/month) rarely makes it to 500MB.

Don't believe the fake numbers.

That’s likely a hardware problem.

For an accurate speed test you need to connect directly to the router with at least a cat5e (cat6 preferable) cable using a device with a 1GB network connection (check your device is connecting to the router at 1000 meg). When running your web based speed test try and choose a server as close to your location as possible and this will give you an indication of your actual speed. Latency caused by too many hops or server errors increase the further away the test server is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How much speed do you use by using wifi instead of cable (ethernet)? I'm supposed to have 1GB with 3BB and I don't even reach 150 on my laptop. It also connects speed test to Bangkok when I'm in Kalasin Province, which seems a bit odd. My previous five-year old laptop couldn't get beyond 100 when I had a 200 package, and the engineer who tested my box put that down to the limitation of my computer then which seemed logical thinking back to its specifications.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the speed I do get. Perfectly good enough for IPTV, and I don't do gaming.

Not so strange that your 5 year old laptop could not do it. Many times it hardware that is the bottleneck. I had a not cat 4 cable and would not get over 100 (normal as its capped at 100 with non cat 5 cables) also if you have older wifi or lan cards they might not be able to get to the high speeds. I got 1gbs lan and good 5g  stuff. I get my speeds. 

19 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

For an accurate speed test you need to connect directly to the router with at least a cat5e (cat6 preferable) cable using a device with a 1GB network connection (check your device is connecting to the router at 1000 meg). When running your web based speed test try and choose a server as close to your location as possible and this will give you an indication of your actual speed. Latency caused by too many hops or server errors increase the further away the test server is.

Yes router must be capable, got my own asus router RTAC86U and put the 3bb router in bridge. Also you need the right cables (cat5 or 6 rated) need the right network cards 1Gbps rated and or good Wifi card. 

Then if it is all good you will get high numbers on tests. Those might not translate to real numbers as it also depends on the site your contacting where it is how much bandwith they have and if its in Thailand or international. 

Tried to 'jumpspeed' using the website, but the current offers aren't listed as options, so made the switch via the call centre. Opted to switch to the 1Gb/500 from our current 400/400 for the same price. All working fine this morning, locally speeds are close to advertised, internationally a mixed bag, but good enough.

Speedtest_16.9.20.jpg

I have True fiber 500/500, with 35gb 4g internet free on my mobile plus hundreds of channels all for only 750 baht a month.

Very happy with it, I have hit real download and upload speeds in excess of 65 mb/s (500 mbit) when downloading internationally. In benchmarks it even goes up to 530 mbit, so I think it could hit 1000 if I had contracted that speed. The bottleneck is usually the remote site, so I prefer 500/500 to 1000/200.

Note that this is connected over Ethernet, WiFi varies between 150 to 400 depending on how far I am from the router.

I have also disabled WiFi on the True router and use my own router with WiFi and Ethernet to connect all my devices, which then connects to the True one. Used to have lots of WiFi connection drops on the True router, not anymore. Those True fiber routers look the part but are a piece of <deleted>.

Edited by Barnabe

I also just switched over to the TOT 1gb/500 promotion and still using same router I had for previous 400/400 package but am getting very bad buffering from my android TV box for the past week + ?? Do you think this is because of my old router or is TOT problem with bandwith. Sorry but I am not very technically minded with these matters !!

6 hours ago, Barnabe said:

I have True fiber 500/500, with 35gb 4g internet free on my mobile plus hundreds of channels all for only 750 baht a month.

Very happy with it, I have hit real download and upload speeds in excess of 65 mb/s (500 mbit) when downloading internationally. In benchmarks it even goes up to 530 mbit, so I think it could hit 1000 if I had contracted that speed. The bottleneck is usually the remote site, so I prefer 500/500 to 1000/200.

Note that this is connected over Ethernet, WiFi varies between 150 to 400 depending on how far I am from the router.

I have also disabled WiFi on the True router and use my own router with WiFi and Ethernet to connect all my devices, which then connects to the True one. Used to have lots of WiFi connection drops on the True router, not anymore. Those True fiber routers look the part but are a piece of <deleted>.

Is this the promo with the SIM card and True DTV? I cannot find this on true website. Do you have a web link for the true fiber 500/500 with dtv channels and the 35GB 4G?? Thanks

My experience with all of these packages over the years is that if you go for the cheaper/most popular packages they seem to be less reliable and consistent - my belief being that you are simply sharing with more people because you chose the popular package. I have opted for the slightly more expensive 3BB 1GB/1GB and find it to be very consistent. With a TV that streams in high resolution (we only use internet TV), three kids on gaming PCs, and perhaps me on video call to UK (all at the same time) we simply don't notice each others' usage and it all just works seemlessly. Well worth B1200 to me. The measly B400 more than the popular package is worth every penny for household harmony!!!

Edited by JimShortz

1 hour ago, 1948wjm said:

I also just switched over to the TOT 1gb/500 promotion and still using same router I had for previous 400/400 package but am getting very bad buffering from my android TV box for the past week + ?? Do you think this is because of my old router or is TOT problem with bandwith. Sorry but I am not very technically minded with these matters !!

re- bad buffering from my android TV box for the past week +

Same for past 10 days or so...  Discovery + Nat Geo + Quest almost impossible to get, F1 was bad last weekend..

Have a new Router + have a new Android 9 box [X96 Air] Cat 8 cable or via Wi-Fi = bad buffering on some channels............  can watch 'Yesterday' or 'Really'  for a couple of hours without any buffering at all.

Wonder if using a VPN to UK would help ?  never used so asking

58 minutes ago, xofswen said:

Is this the promo with the SIM card and True DTV? I cannot find this on true website. Do you have a web link for the true fiber 500/500 with dtv channels and the 35GB 4G?? Thanks

I tried looking for it, and I can only find a 500/500 package plus dtv with 10gb 4g for 899... https://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/package

I believe my extra 4g GB are a bonus for being with True for 3 years now, so perhaps my reduced price is too? Sorry can’t help you much more than this.

I think it’s still a good value at 899, and if you ask True nicely they might offer you an additional 10gb a month for 4g free of charge.

Edited by Barnabe

We changed from TOT 120/120 to TOT 500/500 last week by asking at the TOT office. It was done at the day of asking. The fee is unchanged at 590THB/m++. Whilst we now have a faster connection it never reaches 500, more like 300/300 whereas before it always sat on 120/120 what we paid for.

It depends on the speed test app. The speedtest.net using a browser always gives different and higher results than the Win10 app of same product. I get more consistent results from nPerf.com. All around 300/300. On other hand testmy.net always says 13mbps download speed!

I notice the scale on the nPerf.com is similar to post#21 of this thread where the last 100mbps-1gbps occupies just the last 10% of the scale, so I take it the speeds are all bs in that range anyway? That said the service and price is very good for our needs so very happy with TOT.

I have AdGuard installed and the speed test doubles in speed

when I turn it off,on my PC for general browsing I just leave it

on,but for my media PC,streaming movie etc, I have Ublock origin

installed,and that does not decrease the speed.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1