Pattaya: Grim picture for future of resort as post pandemic optimism dries up

webfact

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

If I look at the many open air bars - they are just very simple and cheap constructions. If they go bust not much investment is lost. It is a different story for hotels and shopping malls for instance. Here also the banks might suffer. 

When the banks suffer we all suffer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

in the end, I assume a different scenario:

- all small businesses and small hotels gone

- only international hotel chains and hotels of the “big families” survive

- the diverse style of Pattaya (and Phuket) is converted to an “All-inclusive paradise”

... similar to what happened in the Dominican Republic years ago ...

Yes, the likely scenario, the one's with the deepest pockets will survive. A lot smaller hotels and bars will go bust in European resorts depending on whether that country has quarantine restrictions imposed of them, but at least in Europe it's open unlike Asia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

in the end, I assume a different scenario:

- all small businesses and small hotels gone

- only international hotel chains and hotels of the “big families” survive

- the diverse style of Pattaya (and Phuket) is converted to an “All-inclusive paradise”

... similar to what happened in the Dominican Republic years ago ...

For sure they also will provide all inclusive bars to make the paradise perfect. 

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

The ruling Junta are not going to lose face over this. Thailand is closed for the forseeable and at least until a vaccine is distributed worldwide and proven to be effective.

You want no restrictions/quarantines than think end of 2022 at the earliest.

As I said in the finance section yesterday Thailands financial coffers are at record levels with foreign currency and could sit this pandemic out for years and years.

The tourism industry is being decimated but its of no consequence to the ruling party and they simply wont lose face whatsoever over the potential of Covid being spread throughout the population

Yeah, but they might lose the battle........  

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with plague and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Revelation...... how apt....... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Actually it is not developed and tested in less than 1 year. The vaccine has been in development for about 5 years, the accelerated bit is the adjusting for it to specifically target COVID, do a bit of research. To develop a brand new vaccine in 1 year is impossible. So, my view is you would be stupid not to take it. I guess it's up to you..

Depends if covid-19 is likely to affect you or not, same as the flu jab. I'm sure entry into some countries if all not countries will require a covid-19 jab, it won't be a mandatory vaccine just encouraged. Free for under 16s and over 75s and certain health conditions, everyone pay for it and mega profits.

Edited by tribalfusion001

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Pattaya will survive, but it will change, and in some ways the changes will be exactly what the government claims it has been wanting for the last 15 years or more. Somebody should have told them to be careful what they wish for. There are enough Thais and expats living here to keep the most important businesses going, there's certainly no sign of the likes of Friendship, Siamburi's and Foodmart going under any time soon. Outside the tourist area, which is a relatively small part of the total city, not much has changed. It's the places like Beach Road, Second Road, Soi Buakhao, and parts of Jomtien and Naklua that will suffer most. Fewer cheap bars and hotels and restaurants, fewer shops selling tourist tat, and fewer convenience stores. A ghastly situation for the business owners concerned, but it's just possible with sufficient government support that they might be able to remodel those areas to provide better quality facilities built with sustainable tourism in mind. It's not what you'd like if you are wedded to the Pattaya of the past, but it was changing slowly anyway, this will speed up the changes and we may end up with a much nicer city to live in.

You might be right, but remember that if the majority of the tourist money goes away absolutely everything suffers. The expat shops like Friendship and Foodmart will always have expat customers but they are declining, I am willing to bet their profits have been falling for sure. Remember Pattaya is built on the trade from Beach Road, Jomtien, Soi Buakhao and Naklua. There is nothing else to the city if tourism is dead. The closest alternative trade is Laemchabang with factories and shipping. It might feel ok for a retiree's living on a secure pension who now live in a quite dead seaside town but it is not good for the local economy. 

• Like 1

Landlords dont help much.
My Girlfriend has a Massage clinic with her sister. They made a deal with him of 70% rent until January, 21 on the condition that they closed and not did business or stayed there.
He just called the other day and said no-more. Either pay full rent now or get out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Depends if covid-19 is likely to affect you or not, same as the flu jab. I'm sure entry into some countries if all not countries will require a covid-19 jab, it won't be a mandatory vaccine just encouraged. Free for under 16s and over 75s and certain health conditions, everyone pay for it and mega profits.

Yes all true. Mega profits for drug companies but it will stop the virus, quite important point that considering what it has done to the global economies. i still think Pattaya will not recover quickly though because it is already the city of "for sale" signs. No business person keeps flogging a dead horse forever so all the great things about Pattaya with small independent restaurants, shops etc will be gone.

• Like 1