Is this safe..?

Bluedipper

Hello, the electrician has just run a length of cable under the gym floor for the exercise machines. It is glued between this office style carpet (material only, no rubber lining) and a concrete floor. This isn't a large apartment building but worried that enough people standing on this will damage the cable underneath? Is this dangerous? 

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

unnamed.jpg

18 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

No, that is not safe.

You have:
- Flammable material on top of the installation
- Trip hazard
- Inability to notice fraying/damage to cable

Also, it'll be real fun when someone kicks that box and sends the whole thing flying; it's probably not insulated underneath either because "it's in a box, no need".

He's just too lazy to do it properly and/or the space is not appropriate for a gym.

Thanks @DaftToPutRealName I thought so. Have just spoken with electrician and he said he used a VAF cable which is double insulated and therefore no need to use any other protection? I'll suggest they put down hazard tape along the cable line too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluedipper said:

Thanks @DaftToPutRealName I thought so. Have just spoken with electrician and he said he used a VAF cable which is double insulated and therefore no need to use any other protection? I'll suggest they put down hazard tape along the cable line too. 

He VAF (not even VAF-G) electric cable rather than lamp zip cord.  ????

image.jpeg.b02a6dfba47783cf4200b237797c3202.jpegimage.jpeg.f16d7d81eedb9a7207f3bd753b465c27.jpeg

perhaps be better to have false vinyl tile floor like computer room with electric under it and floor mounted outlets if must have - carpet in sweat area is not a good idea health wise.

image.jpeg.28f6dbebc3005195cbe4bb3cd504bd41.jpegimage.jpeg.debb372795489d81bb8b146dcb785e25.jpeg

• Like 2

I stayed in a condo that did the same thing - at least 1 machine was down every time I went, most of them had the electrical box come unstuck from the floor from being accidentally kicked/hit and basically being held in place by the tension of the cable underneath.

It's too late to fix that particular setup, but as suggested above by @Matzzon putting the equipment in line with the wall is the best solution. I've also seen hanging cables which is just as "ghetto" of a fix, but at least that removes both the trip and fire hazard.

Although he's used whatever cable he's confident in, I'm sure he won't pay for damages so he'll more than likely promise you anything he thinks he needs to say to get you off his back. 

At the bare minimum, he hasn't stuck the cable down at all from what I can see (it appears to be literally sitting under the carpet??) so nothing stopping friction wear of the cable jacket over time, so corner cutting is definitely on the menu here.

Do you have a way to give a basic idea of the layout of the room?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is not good enough. If you can’t move the machines you should at least use this, it’s designed for the job.

E7758659-74BC-44D6-B2F3-081AFA63A2A0.thumb.png.226b1a86416481cd8454470d43d72315.png

Just a caution - as an older walker who does not get shoe much above floor have found such protrusions to be extremely dangerous for falls and would not recommend.  But have seen even in hospitals!  ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Just a caution - as an older walker who does not get shoe much above floor have found such protrusions to be extremely dangerous for falls and would not recommend.  But have seen even in hospitals!  ????

I agree that it’s not the best, but it’s much better and safer than is there now.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I agree that it’s not the best, but it’s much better and safer than is there now.

And often it can be seen before stepping on - what is there now will get stepped on and even more of a danger for both body trips and electrical issues.  

An alternative is to just cut a narrow, shallow channel in the floor for the wire. It's easily filled in again if you want to later. 

Lots of local workmen competent to do this in an hour or two with simple tools. 

Then just bolt a standard outlet box to the floor. Easy peasy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Absolutely safe in Thailand as it is "safety 1st".  ????????????????

Reminds me years ago when noticed in Jomt.Beach Paradise ,in the swimming pool 1 underwater light the cover was open...…. when I called a security guard to come ….., when seeing it  he said : " no problem as they don't switch on those lights anyway " ….????

But what if someone new don't know the switches and just try them one by one …. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Swimfan said:

That looks pretty perfect by Thai standards

Very common here in Thailand.  You will see similar things all over the place,  even some outside sitting in water.  Surprisingly,  there doesn't seem to be many problems.  You could put some rug or other protective device over the areas exposed to heavy foot traffic.  I would not recommend stepping on the wires. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Yellowtail but I'm temporarily part of the management so definitely can't let this stuff go. Even though its going to give me a heart attack trying. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

My advise would be to let it go. No good will come from raising a stink. 

As long are your wearing shoes and the boxes aren't busted up you should be okay. 

Thank you everyone for your help.

Spoke to the Building Manager and she says they can pull the wire from out of the carpet (remains to be seen). They can then move the machines closer to the wall so no one should walk along the wires or kick the boxes. Not a gym person so didn't think of this before! Thankfully there aren't many machines. Appreciate the comments and your time.