Bride to be cradling body of her future husband killed in motorcycle collision

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Bang Nam Priaw police in Chachoengsao said that they came upon a pitiful and distressing scene after a collision between a motorcycle, a pick-up and a ten wheel truck. 

Cradling the dead body of the motorcyclist in floods of tears was a bride to be. The couple were due to be married. 

Dead at the scene was Wisanu, 35, who had lost his left leg up to the knee among other injuries. He had been riding a Honda.

A pick-up with a rear light smashed was stopped nearby and further down the road was a motorcycle transporter. 

Wicharn, the pick-up driver said that he was on his way to collect his wife when a motorcycle went into the back of him propelling the rider into the path of the transporter. 

That vehicle ran over him and dragged him down the road 70 meters before coming to a halt. The driver of the transporter was waiting to give evidence when the police arrived.

Police are interviewing all those involved and witnesses to come to conclusions about what happened. 

The accident happened on Friday on the Suwinthawong Road, Route 304. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-08

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But, she appears to be without one.

32 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Something here does not sound right. The laws of physics absolutely rule that if the rider was propelled through the air following the collision, so also would the pillion passenger, and at the same velocity ! Yet she appears without scratch or injury ?

Where does it mention that she was riding pillion? 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Something here does not sound right. The laws of physics absolutely rule that if the rider was propelled through the air following the collision, so also would the pillion passenger, and at the same velocity ! Yet she appears without scratch or injury ?

Even if she had been a pillion passenger, which she wasn't, what probably killed the rider was being run over and dragged by a transporter.  The laws of physics do not state that what happens to one object as a result of kinetic energy also happens to another in exactly the same way.

Edited by Hi Tea

I had an accident there on a motorbike.  Luckily I didn't hit anyone.  Almost lost my vision because I had a bad helmet. I can tell you it is extremely dangerous driving a bike of any kind there.  People die every week.  Its considered normal.  Most die because they don't wear a helmet tbh.  

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Think of Newton's cradle, she transferred her momentum to the driver. So he was propelled forward  and she became stationary.

• Like 1

These are the stories which makes me infinitely sad and almost cry. This is the very very worst thing what can happen to a young couple in love. I feel so sorry for the girl, and for her killed boyfriend. Her life will be destroyed forever, even in decades she will suffer from this, and never life will be for her as it was before. Their parents, their family are devastated as well.

And, no one should ever forget, such trageties happen every few minutes in Thailand, 70 times a day!!! 70 times every day families lose a beloved one here on the roads. And nobody outside their families, except the nurses and doctors and samaritians, seem to care one jota about this in Thailand, as nobody tries to improve this situation, as nobody does anything to reduce the daily carnage.

Will this ever change....?

23 minutes ago, anterian said:

Think of Newton's cradle, she transferred her momentum to the driver. So he was propelled forward  and she became stationary.

yes...  189695607_momentumtransfers.gif.66f71494ba88b1159d0ccecfa97d18a6.gif

and this model even caters for 4 on a bike scenario...

41 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Will this ever change....?

It'll change when Thai people aren't forced by economics or poor infrastructure to choose a mode of transport that's 20-40 times as dangerous (per km driven) as 4 wheels, seat belts and a roof.

This is one more tragic data point.  Had the guy been safely ensconced in a car or pickup truck, they'd still be planning the wedding.  All he'd be worried about is paying for the minor ding in his rear bumper, if that.

Also another cautionary tale that a helmet can't save you in an accident that rips off limbs and throws them many meters.  4 doors, 2 tons of steel and a seatbelt will.

What I find distressing is that "Daily News" had to publish a photo from the scene - no compassion and totally insensitive in my opinion, but typical "gutter press" and Thai morbid curiosity! Fortunately no similar photos are often seen here in the Cambodian press - they show respect!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

yes...  189695607_momentumtransfers.gif.66f71494ba88b1159d0ccecfa97d18a6.gif

and this model even caters for 4 on a bike scenario...

Not sure she was a pillion - That to one side. Not sure how this would apply to a pillion rider which normal are tight up against the rider. Both would be propelled forward at the same  time  would they not ?

• Like 1

What i am going to say may not be correct or misleading I am not sure. So please hold your shotgun don't blast it point blank as I have said beforehand I may not be correct.

There are many countries I would not even think of riding a motorbike. Thailand being one of them. In Asia I would ride a motor bike only in Japan, because I had lived there long enough to know how they drive there.

What I don't understand is why ride a bike in Thailand?.

In Japan it is very safe to ride a bike, I don't know about Korea because I never live there before.

I met a German who works for the BMW in China, he said to me, "The most uncivilized driving you can find is in China". Again I never live there so I am not sure if that is true.

Why take the risk, is it worth it? Of course the argument goes it is an accident everywhere you go there are accidents. Accidents and reckless careless driving are not the same thing I supposed.

I will ride a motorbike in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and England. I lived there long enough to know the ways people drive there, my risk is a lot more lower than many Asian countries.

Can you not rent a car? Or perhaps arrange transport during certain hours of your need?

A friend of mine said his father forbid him to ride a bike when he was a teenager. A wise father who saved his son life or limbs or becoming paraplegic.

I was a male nurse in a hospital for spinal injuries. I saw a lot of sufferings  among mountain climbers and motorcyclists.

You need to work in spinal injuries unit to know it is just not worth it.

I think the British government should put notice in the subway that says- If you love your kids, tell them to promise you they wouldn't ride a bike while on holidays in Thailand.

Edited by poloshirt
correct word

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Was he wearing the absolute best helmet he could afford? Granted, this sounds like a horrific wreck, and it is likely it would not have saved his life. But, she appears to be without one. And in many cases it does save a life. Skulls are very fragile. 

My heart goes out to this woman. That is tragic and devastating. My advice to anyone driving a bike here?

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. 

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.
Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.
Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of garbage. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate.

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older.

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
• In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
• Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
• In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
• Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

It is a real shame the administration has no pride. If they did, they would do something about this carnage. There are a dozen potentially effective solutions. The fact that they are doing NOTHING, proves how apathetic they are, toward the masses.

Absolutely so correct such a sad loss at a young age and so sad for his wife to be but you know what nothing ever changes for the best it’s seems the Thais just brush these tragedies under the carpet the law will not change when it should however if you ride a motorcycle in Thailand it is Russian roulette take great care and never even think of drinking and driving there 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

No-one should witness a loved one in a situation like this, but unfortunately it happens multiple times daily as the government, transport ministry and police seem complicit in allowing it to continue.

• Like 1