Problem displaying subtitles

bluesofa

Well! I don't know :unsure:

I don't have any of these problems with my Samsung TV :whistling: 

Occasionally if I do have problems I find it's easier to just find a different source for the download. 

Sometimes it's the downloaded file that is the problem, and can't be fixed no matter what you try.  :sad:

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Well! I don't know :unsure:

I don't have any of these problems with my Samsung TV :whistling: 

Occasionally if I do have problems I find it's easier to just find a different source for the download. 

Sometimes it's the downloaded file that is the problem, and can't be fixed no matter what you try.  :sad:

I took your advice and looked for another d/l source.

Found some Russian sites and just d/l everything there was for Kalifat  (Caliphate).

The first one to complete had only Russian and English subtitles .mkv format. Played fine on VLC, showing both language subtitles.

On the TV? No chance. Wouldn't even recognise there were any subtitles.

The second one also had only Russian and English subtitles, again in .mkv format. Played on VLC OK.

On the TV? Yes, yes, yes!!!  Showed Russian & English subtitles fine. Both were large enough to read easily too, unlike the open subtitles.

This has been a longer running saga than some soap operas. At least I've found out quite a lot about subtitles and how they work.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. All the advice has been much appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The second one also had only Russian and English subtitles, again in .mkv format. Played on VLC OK.

On the TV? Yes, yes, yes!!!  Showed Russian & English subtitles fine. Both were large enough to read easily too, unlike the open subtitles.

This has been a longer running saga than some soap operas. At least I've found out quite a lot about subtitles and how they work.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. All the advice has been much appreciated.

Don,t wish to rain on your parade but have you been able to watch all the episodes...

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Don,t wish to rain on your parade but have you been able to watch all the episodes...

Ha ha! I started watching them on my laptop.

I watched E04 last night on the TV, but with the small open subtitles. I've just finished watching E05 on TV now with the new improved subtitles.

Only three more to go! Thanks for asking.

P.S. I think the butler did it.

Check the srt file with wordpad, see if it's in English, or whatever sub language you want. Make sure it looks ok. Often there are two English sub srt files. One smaller for just the foreign language spoken briefly in the film, one larger with english subs for every spoken word.

For my Samsung TV w/USB or NAS, I create a folder with the video file, and one English SRT file. I rename both so they are exactly the same

filmname.mkv

filmname.srt

and my TV plays the subs automatically. No need to enter the menu to enable/choose subs.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are watching a TV series episode on youtube or any of the torrents sites, is it possible to get English subtitles?

I ask because occasionally you can get a whole episode of something with no sound.

If so, how do I get the subtitles?

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you are watching a TV series episode on youtube or any of the torrents sites, is it possible to get English subtitles?

I ask because occasionally you can get a whole episode of something with no sound.

If so, how do I get the subtitles?

Youtube, something is wrong with the original video if the audio is missing, no chance of any subs as they are generated from the original audio and you cant load external subs on youtube

Torrents, many come with subs, or subs are available from websites like subscene , or there are apps that will go and find subs.  it would depend on what player you are using as to adding and playing the subs

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1