Thailand road carnage! Brake failure as cement truck plows into vehicles at red light

webfact

Thailand road carnage! Brake failure as cement truck plows into vehicles at red light

9pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage on the site of the Chiang Mai Police showed the moment a cement truck caused a multi vehicle pile up of vehicles waiting at a red light. 

Details were sketchy though Daily News reported it happened leading up to the Rin Kham intersection on the Chiang Mai to Lampang Road.

The cause was brake failure of the cement truck, they said. 

The accident was reported by the police site yesterday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-08

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it not about time that Owner of vehicles with brake failure face severe charges for their vehicles being out on public roads while unroadworthy?. 

Either that, or serious fines on the drivers for falling asleep, looking at their phone etc.

There is no way that Thailands position as such a statistical outlier for the incidence of brake failure is an actual reality. An overwhelming amount of BS and dressing over the real issues: 

- Poor (no) vehicle maintenance

- No driver training (any local Somchai gets the job of driving a such a heavy vehicle). 

- Its time the owners are held accountable. 

I see logistics companies (such as Linfox and many others) with well maintained vehicles, drivers are always careful and courteous... then I see many others driving carelessly in knackered old trucks, the owners of which are ultimately profiting from the short cuts they are taking and dangers they present to everyone else on the road. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1036648-video-carnage-as-tractor-destroyed-and-sandwiched-between-two-trucks/

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it not about time that Owner of vehicles with brake failure face severe charges for their vehicles being out on public roads while unroadworthy?. 

Either that, or serious fines on the drivers for falling asleep, looking at their phone etc.

There is no way that Thailands position as such a statistical outlier for the incidence of brake failure is an actual reality. An overwhelming amount of BS and dressing over the real issues: 

- No driver training (any local Somchai gets the job of driving a such a heavy vehicle). 

I see logistics companies (such as Linfox and many others) with well maintained vehicles, drivers are always careful and courteous... then I see many others driving carelessly in knackered old trucks, the owners of which are ultimately profiting from the short cuts they are taking and dangers they present to everyone else on the road. 

Whilst genuine brake failure is a common cause of these accidents, it is also the standard response from drivers when in fact they were either on their phones texting or falling asleep at the wheel.

A good start would be strict MOT testing and the police properly checking the brakes after a collision.  Doubt either will happen though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I think if I had "brake" failure, I would try to shift into a lower gear to slow down

If i was in a HGV i would be on the gears everywhere, the amount of times i hear that at the bottom of a long descent i suffered brake failure, no you  didn't you waste of time you suffered brake fade, the quality of vocational drivers in Los is appalling, and a 20 tonne vehicle with an idiot in the saddle is the same as a crocodile at a funfair with an AK47

• Haha 1

Brake failure?
You can see the smoke from the tires as he/she locks up the brakes at the very last second...

Oh, Maybe it was actually a micro sleep. He woke just in time to dynamite the brakes before impact.
Or... maybe he just looked up from texting just in time to dynamite the brakes. 

• Like 1

If indeed it was brake failure, then no planned maintenance has been carried out no real yearly test, I would presume it had air brakes, And if the pressure drops then an audible alarm sounds, then the brakes will come on, it is air pressure that keeps the brakes OFF. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The problem with getting to that stage is the age old problem of the RTP not doing their job.

Until there is a government strong enough to do that (and NO junta or military will ever do that) then "accidents"? like this will always happen. It would mean total transparecy of the RTP from the very top to the very bottom and the same thing has to happen with the courts as well.

The military has to be forced back into their barracks and disarmed and at the first sign of a military coup the top 50 or so generals should be executed for treason with NO leniency or amnesty allowed.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of truth in that, you see the whole spectrum from well maintained services to the absolute opposite.

Even public transport, I see newer reasonable buses then comes along something that's been around longer than I have... held together for as long as possible to provide another day if lucky.

20 hours ago, Yasobill said:

Brake failure?
You can see the smoke from the tires as he/she locks up the brakes at the very last second...

No, that cannot be clearly seen.  But, of course, if that was the case, it is possible that the brakes could have failed immediately after he had slammed them on after working for a split second.

Edited by Hi Tea

On 9/8/2020 at 4:11 PM, worgeordie said:

The driver most likely does not know the concept of using

your gears, changing down when you want to slow down 

then putting the brakes on,but that all needs doing when

looking at the road ahead and the conditions.

regards worgeordie

C'mon give the driver a break (no Pun intended) he was probably texting girlfriend to tell her he would be late home for dinner, you can't look at road and text at same time Oh my Buddha!!!!!!!!! 

• Haha 1