BANGKOK
evadgib

UK ITV Hub

On 9/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, evadgib said:

After a recent update the ITV hub on an android box plumbed into my TV now reads 'Unfortunately DRM protected content cannot be played on this device. Contact the device manufacturer'. Does anyone know what DRM is or why it no longer works when for 3-4 years it's been perfectly ok?

I had the same problem using an old Himedia android box. So i recently purchased a cheap replacement from AliExpress. The new box has a root switch in the settings so you can disable the root function. Now i can use Itv hub, All4, My5 and iPlayer again.

5 hours ago, surat04 said:

I had the same problem using an old Himedia android box. So i recently purchased a cheap replacement from AliExpress. The new box has a root switch in the settings so you can disable the root function. Now i can use Itv hub, All4, My5 and iPlayer again.

Appreciated, but what is a root switch?

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Appreciated, but what is a root switch?

The Root bridge (switch) is a special bridge at the top of the Spanning Tree (inverted tree). The branches (Ethernet connections) are then branched out from the root switch, connecting to other switches in the Local Area Network (LAN). All Bridges (Switches) are assigned a numerical value called bridge priority.

PS - I just looked that up, I have absolutely no idea what it means. 😎

• Haha 2

"Rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as root access) over various Android subsystems. ... Root access is sometimes compared to jailbreaking devices running the Apple iOS operating system."

Most android boxes are rooted when you buy them. The root switch turns it off.