Bali Hai & Walking Street Project

TaaSaparot

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So the building 9 is the derelict Waterfront still rotting?

Yes, and I hope they are finally, finally, FINALLY doing something about it!  So many years sitting unfinished, just do something already!  Since it has a number on it, maybe they were at least discussing it.  Knock off the top 10 floors and finish the darn thing--or tear it down.  Long past time for a decision to be made. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, and I hope they are finally, finally, FINALLY doing something about it!  So many years sitting unfinished, just do something already!  Since it has a number on it, maybe they were at least discussing it.  Knock off the top 10 floors and finish the darn thing--or tear it down.  Long past time for a decision to be made. 

I very very seriously doubt it will ever be knocked down......There is some Major Serious money to be made by someone who can finish it.....Just throw all the old condo owners under the bus, cancel all the old debts.....Your new building is already 50% built......Its a win win win for the new owners.....

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I very very seriously doubt it will ever be knocked down......There is some Major Serious money to be made by someone who can finish it.....Just throw all the old condo owners under the bus, cancel all the old debts.....Your new building is already 50% built......Its a win win win for the new owners.....

I would prefer it finished rather than torn down as I like the architecture but just make a decision already.  Don't leave it in decaying limbo year after year--since 2014--in the most prominent spot in town.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 12:30 AM, newnative said:

I would prefer it finished rather than torn down as I like the architecture but just make a decision already.  Don't leave it in decaying limbo year after year--since 2014--in the most prominent spot in town.  

Whatever happens, the height needs to be reduced to allow the view from the lookout again.

Someone needs to do something about it, but that's not the Thai way. The Hopewell pillars still remain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whatever happens, the height needs to be reduced to allow the view from the lookout again.

Someone needs to do something about it, but that's not the Thai way. The Hopewell pillars still remain.

I think reducing the height would be the best solution and a good compromise.  The top floors are mostly see-thru while the lower floors have windows and are in a more finished state.  

• Like 2

I understand that the height is not the only problem. It seems there are also (amongst others) issues with land encroaching, elevators and emergency escapes. Furthermore if it will be partially demolished the owners who see their apartments removed would want compensation. It can only be altered after approval. That means that the person who signs for this admits that initially something went wrong. Also who is going to pay for this all ?  Will be an interesting (and longwinding) story....

21 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

I understand that the height is not the only problem. It seems there are also (amongst others) issues with land encroaching, elevators and emergency escapes. Furthermore if it will be partially demolished the owners who see their apartments removed would want compensation. It can only be altered after approval. That means that the person who signs for this admits that initially something went wrong. Also who is going to pay for this all ?  Will be an interesting (and longwinding) story....

The land encroaching issue refers to the low rise sales office next to the project--one corner of the building supposedly is not on Waterfront project land.  Easily solved by tearing it down.  The elevators and emergency escapes I think are non-issues that were bandied about as excuses when the project was first shut down.  I believe there could be some parking issues, which might be solved if the top floors were eliminated and the number of units reduced.  I agree that working out  compensation for the original buyers is an issue.  I think it needs a big-name powerful Thai developer to step in, take over the project, and get it all sorted out.   Perhaps it might still happen if there's some money to be made.  Hope it doesn't end up like Bangkok's Ghost Tower that TBL mentioned.  Finish it in some form or tear it down.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newnative said:

The land encroaching issue refers to the low rise sales office next to the project--one corner of the building supposedly is not on Waterfront project land.  Easily solved by tearing it down.  The elevators and emergency escapes I think are non-issues that were bandied about as excuses when the project was first shut down.  I believe there could be some parking issues, which might be solved if the top floors were eliminated and the number of units reduced.  I agree that working out  compensation for the original buyers is an issue.  I think it needs a big-name powerful Thai developer to step in, take over the project, and get it all sorted out.   Perhaps it might still happen if there's some money to be made.  Hope it doesn't end up like Bangkok's Ghost Tower that TBL mentioned.  Finish it in some form or tear it down.   

While I understand that there may be legal problems reducing the height, they could be resolved given the will. Then they could put a giant screen up on the building and make it into an exciting "show" by projecting images on it, such as fireworks. It could become a tourist attraction in its own right.

OR

They could attach a cable and allow people to descend along it. They already do that on a high building in Jomptien. I went on it a long while ago.

Whatever, making something out of it is better than leaving it there till it falls down.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OR

They could attach a cable and allow people to descend along it. They already do that on a high building in Jomptien. I went on it a long while ago.

You jest, but there has been talk of one of those sky walks that seem popular at the moment for the Viewpoint, with a cable to drop down to the Bali Hai.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Worth considering that there is an unfinished high building in Bkk by the Chao Phya. They call it the Ghost Tower and even made a movie about it and ghosts.

That building has been there since 1997.

Sathorn Unique Tower - Wikipedia

An abandoned shopping mall also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEhYraNGBEI

On 10/22/2020 at 10:58 AM, Halfaboy said:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-waterfront-condo-tower-remains-standing-on-piles-of-legal-paperwork-328227

• Like 1