Jump to content

CMOS issues after Win 10 update


Recommended Posts

Following latest update my pc gets stuck at HP logo screen loading boot menu option. It seems that it cannot find a boot device option,HDD,DVD. It loads memory  Anyand USB devices OK thoughts or help appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The update shouldn't have changed anything but ...

 

Check you have the correct boot order (I just have my SSD in the list) also check that the boot mode (legacy or UEFI) is set correctly - just swap it to the other option and retry.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, Crossy said:

The update shouldn't have changed anything but ...

 

Check you have the correct boot order (I just have my SSD in the list) also check that the boot mode (legacy or UEFI) is set correctly - just swap it to the other option and retry.

 

Cmos gets stuck looking for boot device and cannot open cmos settings or boot menu

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, norbra said:

Cmos gets stuck looking for boot device and cannot open cmos settings or boot menu

You shouldn't need a boot device to open the BIOS/UEFI controls. When you boot your device, continually tap on F2 (different for devices, look up your model in google if you have access to another computer) and that should take you to the controls.

 

Could also try F10 or F12 on boot to open the one time boot options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

You shouldn't need a boot device to open the BIOS/UEFI controls. When you boot your device, continually tap on F2 (different for devices, look up your model in google if you have access to another computer) and that should take you to the controls.

 

Could also try F10 or F12 on boot to open the one time boot options.

My problem is exactly what you describe, I can hit F10 for settings, proceeds to "opening settings" or ESC for boot menu " loading boot menu"but neither will open.thats where I cannot select boot device that is my problem,if I could get into either of these options I would be happy

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, norbra said:

Cmos gets stuck looking for boot device and cannot open cmos settings or boot menu

There must be an option to get to the boot menu. If not, go to your BIOS settings and see if you have your hard drive listed. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

 

 

     

Edited by teacherclaire
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

You shouldn't need a boot device to open the BIOS/UEFI controls. When you boot your device, continually tap on F2 (different for devices, look up your model in google if you have access to another computer) and that should take you to the controls.

 

Could also try F10 or F12 on boot to open the one time boot options.

Because W 10 boots so fast it's worth to click many times on F 10, or F 12. 

 

   Different models , different letter. The OP should get into the BIOS settings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, norbra said:

My problem is exactly what you describe, I can hit F10 for settings, proceeds to "opening settings" or ESC for boot menu " loading boot menu"but neither will open.thats where I cannot select boot device that is my problem,if I could get into either of these options I would be happy

Hit F 10 and F 12 very often and you might be lucky. W 10 boots very fast, so it could take a few times to get into the mode. 

 

If you can take your battery out, do it for a few minutes and press the on switch. (Disconnect the cable)

 

   Then try it again. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a recovery disk from your back-up program?

You do have a back up on a separate disk? ???????

 

Anyways, if you make regular back-ups from a program like Macrium you should have made a recovery disk which you can use to boot from. Depending how your system is set up just by inserting the disk and turning on the computer will boot the disk.

 

On the recovery disk there will several programs including an option if your Boot! file is corrupt to boot your computer from the recovery disk. This creates a new Boot! file on your system disk and you're good to go. 

 

Orr...... Not :whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your BIOS/UEFA is getting stuck pre-POST (Power On Self Test) and won't even let you into BIOS Menu setup then one way around it is to unplug/remove the internal boot device and power on without it, then enter BIOS and reset it to default to clear any anomalous setting errors, power down and reinstall the boot device and see if that action cleared the issue. If not you may need to either install the drive in a second device and see if it's even readable (and back it up) and reformat it to try installing in the original device again.

 

On an unrelated note, certain LENOVO ThinkPad devices recently encountered a bug with the latest Microsoft Windows 10 update that cause them to crash on boot. But users in this instance could still access their BIOS setup and disable a security setting to allowed the device to continue booting (without enhanced BIOS level security enabled) while Microsoft and Lenovo work on ironing out the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, Daffy D said:

Do you have a recovery disk from your back-up program?

You do have a back up on a separate disk? ???????

 

Anyways, if you make regular back-ups from a program like Macrium you should have made a recovery disk which you can use to boot from. Depending how your system is set up just by inserting the disk and turning on the computer will boot the disk.

 

On the recovery disk there will several programs including an option if your Boot! file is corrupt to boot your computer from the recovery disk. This creates a new Boot! file on your system disk and you're good to go. 

 

Orr...... Not :whistling:

Nobody is listening,I cannot get past logo screen When I select F10 Display then advises opening settings but does not proceed any further. When I select ESC display then sdvises loading boot menu but does not proceed further so cannot use USB or CD to try recovery (Prior to logo screen memory check and USB services loaded OK)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we are listening, well at least some of us are, but it's difficult trying to diagnose a problem by proxy so to speak  :mellow:

 

The logo screen you get stuck on, is it the logo from computer BIOS or is it the Windows logo screen?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, norbra said:

Nobody is listening,I cannot get past logo screen When I select F10 Display then advises opening settings but does not proceed any further. When I select ESC display then sdvises loading boot menu but does not proceed further so cannot use USB or CD to try recovery (Prior to logo screen memory check and USB services loaded OK)

 

When you first power on, start tapping the Esc key. Eventually it should give you a Startup Menu.

Before we go any further, can you get to that?

If so, what happens if you select BIOS Setup?

(That's kind of generic for HP's but if you tell me the exact model maybe I can find out more).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...