CMOS issues after Win 10 update

norbra

The update shouldn't have changed anything but ...

Check you have the correct boot order (I just have my SSD in the list) also check that the boot mode (legacy or UEFI) is set correctly - just swap it to the other option and retry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, Crossy said:

The update shouldn't have changed anything but ...

Check you have the correct boot order (I just have my SSD in the list) also check that the boot mode (legacy or UEFI) is set correctly - just swap it to the other option and retry.

Cmos gets stuck looking for boot device and cannot open cmos settings or boot menu

3 hours ago, norbra said:

Cmos gets stuck looking for boot device and cannot open cmos settings or boot menu

You shouldn't need a boot device to open the BIOS/UEFI controls. When you boot your device, continually tap on F2 (different for devices, look up your model in google if you have access to another computer) and that should take you to the controls.

Could also try F10 or F12 on boot to open the one time boot options.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

You shouldn't need a boot device to open the BIOS/UEFI controls. When you boot your device, continually tap on F2 (different for devices, look up your model in google if you have access to another computer) and that should take you to the controls.

My problem is exactly what you describe, I can hit F10 for settings, proceeds to "opening settings" or ESC for boot menu " loading boot menu"but neither will open.thats where I cannot select boot device that is my problem,if I could get into either of these options I would be happy

11 hours ago, norbra said:

There must be an option to get to the boot menu. If not, go to your BIOS settings and see if you have your hard drive listed. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

Edited by teacherclaire

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Because W 10 boots so fast it's worth to click many times on F 10, or F 12. 

Different models , different letter. The OP should get into the BIOS settings. 

4 hours ago, norbra said:

My problem is exactly what you describe, I can hit F10 for settings, proceeds to "opening settings" or ESC for boot menu " loading boot menu"but neither will open.thats where I cannot select boot device that is my problem,if I could get into either of these options I would be happy

Hit F 10 and F 12 very often and you might be lucky. W 10 boots very fast, so it could take a few times to get into the mode. 

If you can take your battery out, do it for a few minutes and press the on switch. (Disconnect the cable)

Then try it again. 

Edited by teacherclaire

Do you have a recovery disk from your back-up program?

You do have a back up on a separate disk? ???????

Anyways, if you make regular back-ups from a program like Macrium you should have made a recovery disk which you can use to boot from. Depending how your system is set up just by inserting the disk and turning on the computer will boot the disk.

On the recovery disk there will several programs including an option if your Boot! file is corrupt to boot your computer from the recovery disk. This creates a new Boot! file on your system disk and you're good to go. 

Orr...... Not :whistling:

If your BIOS/UEFA is getting stuck pre-POST (Power On Self Test) and won't even let you into BIOS Menu setup then one way around it is to unplug/remove the internal boot device and power on without it, then enter BIOS and reset it to default to clear any anomalous setting errors, power down and reinstall the boot device and see if that action cleared the issue. If not you may need to either install the drive in a second device and see if it's even readable (and back it up) and reformat it to try installing in the original device again.

On an unrelated note, certain LENOVO ThinkPad devices recently encountered a bug with the latest Microsoft Windows 10 update that cause them to crash on boot. But users in this instance could still access their BIOS setup and disable a security setting to allowed the device to continue booting (without enhanced BIOS level security enabled) while Microsoft and Lenovo work on ironing out the issue.

On 9/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, Daffy D said:

Do you have a recovery disk from your back-up program?

You do have a back up on a separate disk? ???????

Anyways, if you make regular back-ups from a program like Macrium you should have made a recovery disk which you can use to boot from. Depending how your system is set up just by inserting the disk and turning on the computer will boot the disk.

On the recovery disk there will several programs including an option if your Boot! file is corrupt to boot your computer from the recovery disk. This creates a new Boot! file on your system disk and you're good to go. 

Orr...... Not :whistling:

Nobody is listening,I cannot get past logo screen When I select F10 Display then advises opening settings but does not proceed any further. When I select ESC display then sdvises loading boot menu but does not proceed further so cannot use USB or CD to try recovery (Prior to logo screen memory check and USB services loaded OK)

Yes we are listening, well at least some of us are, but it's difficult trying to diagnose a problem by proxy so to speak  :mellow:

The logo screen you get stuck on, is it the logo from computer BIOS or is it the Windows logo screen?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, norbra said:

Nobody is listening,I cannot get past logo screen When I select F10 Display then advises opening settings but does not proceed any further. When I select ESC display then sdvises loading boot menu but does not proceed further so cannot use USB or CD to try recovery (Prior to logo screen memory check and USB services loaded OK)

When you first power on, start tapping the Esc key. Eventually it should give you a Startup Menu.

Before we go any further, can you get to that?

If so, what happens if you select BIOS Setup?

(That's kind of generic for HP's but if you tell me the exact model maybe I can find out more).

If your Laptop stuck at loading screen (circles spin but no logo), follow steps below to fix. Shut down your laptop > boot into system recovery (press f11 repeatedly as soon as you press the power button) > then, select "Troubleshoot"> "Advanced options"> "System Restore". Then, follow on-screen instructions to finish.Sep 25, 2020

press f11

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=puh2X8i2ItXSz7sP3-GSmA0&q=stuck+on+hp+loading+screen&oq=Stuck+on+HP&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoFCAAQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoICC4QxwEQrwE6BQguELEDOggILhCxAxCTAjoCCC46BQguEJMCSgUICRIBMUoGCAoSAjExUKECWNsoYMJjaABwAHgAgAFUiAGHBpIBAjExmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab

Edited by Daffy D

9 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Yes we are listening, well at least some of us are, but it's difficult trying to diagnose a problem by proxy so to speak  :mellow:

The logo screen you get stuck on, is it the logo from computer BIOS or is it the Windows logo screen?  

Hp logo screen,with

F 10 i have the option to select bios settings on selecting this it displays opening settings but goes nowhere. Wish ESC I have the option to load boot menu,on selecting this option ,loading boot menu is displayed but thats it going nowhere. This is my problem the bios is either not looking for hardware or it cannot find any.Thanks for your time and thoughts

On 10/1/2020 at 1:30 AM, RichCor said:

If your BIOS/UEFA is getting stuck pre-POST (Power On Self Test) and won't even let you into BIOS Menu setup then one way around it is to unplug/remove the internal boot device and power on without it, then enter BIOS and reset it to default to clear any anomalous setting errors, power down and reinstall the boot device and see if that action cleared the issue. If not you may need to either install the drive in a second device and see if it's even readable (and back it up) and reformat it to try installing in the original device again.

On an unrelated note, certain LENOVO ThinkPad devices recently encountered a bug with the latest Microsoft Windows 10 update that cause them to crash on boot. But users in this instance could still access their BIOS setup and disable a security setting to allowed the device to continue booting (without enhanced BIOS level security enabled) while Microsoft and Lenovo work on ironing out the issue.

Done all of that thanks anyway

17 minutes ago, norbra said:

Hp logo screen,with

F 10 i have the option to select bios settings on selecting this it displays opening settings but goes nowhere. Wish ESC I have the option to load boot menu,on selecting this option ,loading boot menu is displayed but thats it going nowhere. This is my problem the bios is either not looking for hardware or it cannot find any.Thanks for your time and thoughts

So you are getting the BIOS screen.

Some where on that screen should be a Load Default options or something like that.  Choose that and save/exit.

Another site that seems to have lots of possibilities:- 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=7it3X_Qhh53j4Q_0sbqoCw&q=hp+bios+recovery&oq=HP+bios+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoFCAAQsQM6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOgIILjoICC4QxwEQowI6CAguELEDEIMBOg4ILhCxAxDHARCjAhCTAkoFCAQSATFKBQgHEgExSgUICRIBMUoFCAoSAThQhC5Y5XBgyJoBaABwAHgAgAFOiAGUBJIBATiYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output ...

support.hp.com › th-en › document

Recover the BIOS using a key press combination. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys.

Sounds like you would need an extra pair of hands for that :whistling: But worth a go if you haven't tried that already.  

18 hours ago, Daffy D said:

If your Laptop stuck at loading screen (circles spin but no logo), follow steps below to fix. Shut down your laptop > boot into system recovery (press f11 repeatedly as soon as you press the power button) > then, select "Troubleshoot"> "Advanced options"> "System Restore". Then, follow on-screen instructions to finish.Sep 25, 2020

press f11

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=puh2X8i2ItXSz7sP3-GSmA0&q=stuck+on+hp+loading+screen&oq=Stuck+on+HP&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoFCAAQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoICC4QxwEQrwE6BQguELEDOggILhCxAxCTAjoCCC46BQguEJMCSgUICRIBMUoGCAoSAjExUKECWNsoYMJjaABwAHgAgAFUiAGHBpIBAjExmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab

Update,left PC at LOADING BOOT MENU,around 8 hours later my boot devices popped up on the screen,I hit ENTER and PC booted normally.

I have rebuilt MBR and BCD.

Being old school I also installed FLOP boot manager and I have had no more issues to date.

Thanks everyone for your input

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norbra said:

left PC at LOADING BOOT MENU,around 8 hours later my boot devices popped up on the screen,I hit ENTER and PC booted normally.

You really gotta wonder WHY it took 8 hours before booting. I'd really suspect the hard drive is failing or a motherboard component directly related to storage access. Damn, I didn't get the chance to suggest (stupid old school) putting the hard drive in the freezer for a few then popping it back in.

Time will tell if FLOP and a rebuild of the Master Boot Record and the Boot Configuration Data really is the fix.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, RichCor said:

You really gotta wonder WHY it took 8 hours before booting. I'd really suspect the hard drive is failing or a motherboard component directly related to storage access. Damn, I didn't get the chance to suggest (stupid old school) putting the hard drive in the freezer for a few then popping it back in.

Time will tell if FLOP and a rebuild of the Master Boot Record and the Boot Configuration Data really is the fix.

I got a feeling that it is the BIOS chip,HDD boots ok in another machine,time will tell!!