Frozen Pensions

billzant

On 08/09/2020 at 6:39 PM, billzant said:

the cost to  the British government is far more than increased costs  from uprating.

No it isn't. 

The UK pensions get spent in UK, not in some undemocratically elected 3rd world country supporting Isaan wives, somchais and buffaloes 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

No it isn't. 

The UK pensions get spent in UK, not in some undemocratically elected 3rd world country supporting Isaan wives, somchais and buffaloes 

I think it was the APPG who worked out that if 500000 expats returned to the UK and used pension benefits as do UK-residing pensioners it would cost more than the 500 million required for uprating.

• Like 1

These figures were mentioned above, however they come froma campaigning organisation - perhaps you would consider joining:-

DO NOT INVITE MEMBERS TO JOIN THE BSPWW the British State Pensions World Wide without telling them that they will have to answer some questions, as they will not be cleared, if they do answer all questions then it will automatically allow them to join.
Can I ask everyone if they know of other British frozen pensioners to please ask them to contact me [email protected] about joining our fight for justice. We need to swell our numbers.
We also need younger people into our ranks, people who at present are not pensioners but who will one day suffer their pensions to be frozen.
Especially if you have younger family members who have worked in the UK and have paid into the NIF (National Insurance Fund).
According, to the DWP the number of Frozen pensioners is below.
Australia 224624
Canada 126785
New Zealand 64193
South Africa 31114
Japan 6700
Thailand 5334
India 4304
Pakistan 2741
Hong Kong 2370
Malaysia 2193
They say 31114 for South Africa, I hardly doubt this figure as I am sure they are taking into account the continent of the whole of Africa. As I know that I have members from other African countries.

Some of the people who took the British government to the EU courts over frozen pensions have become this organisation.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, MartinL said:

From this report, there are 510,00 UK pensioners on a frozen pension. Of these, 150,000 are in Canada, 230,000 in Australia. That leaves 130,000 in 'other countries'. Of that 130,000, 63,000 are in NZ which seems to be behaving very well towards those receiving both NZ and UK frozen pensions, in that it tops-up pensions where necessary. There might be still more 'frozen pensioners' in NZ who don't also receive a NZ pension.

My fear is that UK government might grant annual uprating in these countries in an effort to appease their governments. That'd still leave 67,000, including those of us in Thailand, still 'out in the cold' with no foreign government bringing pressure to bear as Canada and Oz are doing. 

That would just compound the injustice of the UK government policy. 

Now that UK is seeking Free Trade Agreements of its own around the world, perhaps some countries will include the annual uprating of pensions in any agreement. Unlikely to apply to Thailand, though.

But isn't it shameful that we should have to rely on foreign governments to seek to achieve, on behalf of foreigners, something that the UK government refuses to implement ???? ????  

The challenge for those receiving UK pension in Australia and other Western countries is if unfrozen likely government will treat the funds as income, thereby likely deducted from Australian pension thereby negating the additional funds from UK.

3 hours ago, billzant said:

These figures were mentioned above, however they come froma campaigning organisation - perhaps you would consider joining:-

DO NOT INVITE MEMBERS TO JOIN THE BSPWW the British State Pensions World Wide without telling them that they will have to answer some questions, as they will not be cleared, if they do answer all questions then it will automatically allow them to join.
Can I ask everyone if they know of other British frozen pensioners to please ask them to contact me [email protected] about joining our fight for justice. We need to swell our numbers.
We also need younger people into our ranks, people who at present are not pensioners but who will one day suffer their pensions to be frozen.
Especially if you have younger family members who have worked in the UK and have paid into the NIF (National Insurance Fund).
According, to the DWP the number of Frozen pensioners is below.
Australia 224624
Canada 126785
New Zealand 64193
South Africa 31114
Japan 6700
Thailand 5334
India 4304
Pakistan 2741
Hong Kong 2370
Malaysia 2193
They say 31114 for South Africa, I hardly doubt this figure as I am sure they are taking into account the continent of the whole of Africa. As I know that I have members from other African countries.

Some of the people who took the British government to the EU courts over frozen pensions have become this organisation.

Surprising the low number located in Thailand - 5334 - less than those located in Japan. Has the number been verified?

• Like 1

My UK frozen pension is now only 60% of the pension my brother received on retirement last month. 

As for the effect inflation and currency exchange over the years, well,I know I am not alone. 

The British gov doing something to assist is akin to the proverbial flying pigs.

• Haha 1