BANGKOK
webfact

Koh Phangan: "Broken" foreign divers languishing in jail - expect deportation

On 9/10/2020 at 9:38 AM, ChipButty said:

Not able to apply for bail? not like the guy in Cha am 

You think that bail is readily available for someone with a revoked visa and due to be deported?

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, connda said:

In the meanwhile, Italian-Thai tycoon Premchai Karnasuta who stood trial for hunting a black panther and other wlldlife in a Thai hunting reserve is still roaming free.

He's not "roaming free", he's appealing a jail sentence and a multi-million baht fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:16 AM, Accidental Tourist said:

Is EATING sea cucumbers in a Chinese restaurant safe? Or would you fear deportation...

Only if you caught them yourself, in Thailand, and put videos of it on the internet.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:33 AM, Keyser Soze666 said:

People on here are actually gossiping about what visa he might be on?? Genuinely never known a sadder, more bored bunch of people than that pollute these fair boards.

Well, the original story reported that this married, dive business owner had been here for years on a tourist visa, kind of relevant to the story.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, ChipButty said:

What about Thai fishermen using dynamite has been know in the past

If they film it, put the video on the internet and identify themselves, they get arrested.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jimbo2014 said:

Thailand is the lead plastic polluter in the World.

Where did you pluck that statement from, thin air.

PLASTIC POLLUTING COUNTRIES
Around the world 12.7 million tons of plastic waste is washed into the ocean each year. 

China is the most plastic polluting country. It has the highest human population and also manufactures a lot of the world's plastic products.

Indonesia is the second most plastic polluting country followed by the Philippines and Sri Lanka.

Australia produced 0.01 million tones of plastic waste compared to China which had 1.32-3.52 million tones in the same period.
I do not see Thailand in those figures.. 

It destroys ones argument when your opening line is false.

Some more info;

https://ourworldindata.org/plastic-pollution#total-plastic-waste-by-country

Edited by fangless
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

REDBULL!

Don't preach when those that commit REAL crimes are immune to prosecution.

Let it go already!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

But the downside is that you've got to live in Cambodia.

Not for me, one of my better decisions in recent years. I have been a regular visitor to the country and I am familiar with the Khmer culture, food, and very welcoming people. Life here in Siem Reap is relaxed and hassle free - just the way I like it!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, Tropicalevo said:

The men are in gaol and will possibly be deported for visa violations, not for playing with marine life.

Yes, the Thai economy IS being damaged but not because of anything in this thread. The damage is being caused by a very serious state of affairs. You are mixing your facts up a bit on this one. Covid, not KARMA is the cause.

I understand that, but putting them in jail is not warranted. Put them on a plane or in house arrest.

Corona is the agent of karma.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, fangless said:

Where did you pluck that statement from, thin air.

PLASTIC POLLUTING COUNTRIES
Around the world 12.7 million tons of plastic waste is washed into the ocean each year. 

China is the most plastic polluting country. It has the highest human population and also manufactures a lot of the world's plastic products.

Indonesia is the second most plastic polluting country followed by the Philippines and Sri Lanka.

Australia produced 0.01 million tones of plastic waste compared to China which had 1.32-3.52 million tones in the same period.
I do not see Thailand in those figures.. 

It destroys ones argument when your opening line is false.

Some more info;

https://ourworldindata.org/plastic-pollution#total-plastic-waste-by-country

Refer below:

https://ourworldindata.org/plastic-pollution#:~:text=China contributes the highest share,South Africa (2 percent).

"China contributes the highest share of mismanaged plastic waste with around 28 percent of the global total, followed by 10 percent in Indonesia, 6 percent for both the Philippines and Vietnam. Other leading countries include Thailand (3.2 percent); Egypt (3 percent); Nigeria (2.7 percent) and South Africa (2 percent)."

And the pandemic seems to have only made it worse:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-plastic/plastic-piles-up-in-thailand-as-pandemic-efforts-sideline-pollution-fight-idUSKBN22N12W