Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

No Increase to Aus Pension


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look on the bright side. You're in Thailand and not Melbourne.

OP, your pension is not nothing, and you will receive that. It's the $25 a fortnight that your bitching about, well why should you get it, you are not in the country, , you are not spending anything i

The pension did not increase because inflation was actually negative in Aust. Pension increases are linked to CPI increases - but payments were held not reduced (of course). There is no $25

Posted Images

Not for long having a ME Visa means having to go back because they closed the borders and didn't think of an alternative like going to the local office for the 90 day stamp .

Already used a 60 day extension and they wont give me another .

Looks like i will have to go somewhere until i can get a flight out , certainly cant afford the commercial airlines wanting over 40,000 baht for a seat in economy . 

Edited by keith101
  • Like 1
Link to post
13 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

You get one of the best pensions in the world.. you should be able to live on it quite comfortably here.. 

I hope to - but right now I am here in Aus. 

People here on the dole have been getting more money than those on the pension.

Basically the dole was doubled and pensioners got a once-off $750 payment.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
22 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

You get one of the best pensions in the world.. you should be able to live on it quite comfortably here.. 

Not that sure,

but leaving comfortably here, yes.

Of course "comfortably" is a relative concept.

Link to post
1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I'm a long way off getting any pension,  so how much would I get on the dole if I were living there as a single   ?   thx

It went up to $1100 per fortnight including Jobseeker but that's reducing to $800 this month and then back to normal after that. Not sure if you get extra for rent assistance etc. Jobkeeper was more than that at $1500 if you had a job you can't do. That is reducing to $1200. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Mate of mine went back recently, he was on the disability pension which they cut and he has to go through all the cra-p he had to go through 6 years ago, anyway he said he is on the dole and is getting $500 a week till end September then it will reduce to $250 a week, so he is going to sort his disability paperwork and stuff in the interim, he hopes.

 

$250 a week be lucky to rent a room in Sydney, fortunately for him he lives past Newcastle and has a very humble abode which is paid off, so the dole covers his grog 🙂

 

That should give him 1 ctn a week as the rest will go towards weekly/yearly bills

  • Like 1
Link to post
18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Mate of mine went back recently, he was on the disability pension which they cut and he has to go through all the cra-p he had to go through 6 years ago, anyway he said he is on the dole and is getting $500 a week till end September then it will reduce to $250 a week, so he is going to sort his disability paperwork and stuff in the interim, he hopes.

 

$250 a week be lucky to rent a room in Sydney, fortunately for him he lives past Newcastle and has a very humble abode which is paid off, so the dole covers his grog 🙂

 

 

After 24/09/20 your friend will receive the additional Jobseeker Covid supplement of $250 per fortnight until 31/12/2020, 

 

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/how-coronavirus-supplement-and-eligibility-some-income-support-payments-are-changing#:~:text=Changes to the Coronavirus 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

 

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

If you have never been there what taxes are you paying there ?

 

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I daresay the taxes I paid during my working life were more than yours, and you may feel grateful to get the OAP later on.


As it has flown over a few heads, I should probably explain that I was joking. I was mocking the hostile attitude that some people in welfare states have towards pensions, not understanding that they are payback rather than a hand-out.

I am not Australian, so, my expectations of ever having either an Australian pension or the funny accent are low.

I sincerely wish that all the Aussies in this forum will get to enjoy their pensions for as many lavish and luxurious decades as possible.

 

Edited by Poet
  • Sad 1
Link to post
4 minutes ago, Poet said:

 

 


As it has flown over a few heads, I should probably explain that I was joking. I was mocking the hostile attitude that some people in welfare states have towards pensions, not understanding that they are payback rather than a hand-out.

I am not Australian, so, my expectations of ever having either an Australian pension or the funny accent are low.

I sincerely wish that all the Aussies in this forum will get to enjoy their pensions for as many lavish and luxurious decades as possible.

 

You have a strange way of making the point, perhaps you did not understand pensions are a very sensitive topic with many Australians.

Thanks for the good wishes, I intend to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You have a strange way of making the point


The subtletly of my humor has been honed in more advanced cultures.
 

 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

perhaps you did not understand pensions are a very sensitive topic with many Australians


No, that would be exactly why the topic is such a rich vein. You should always make jokes about the things you're not meant to talk about.
 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Poet said:


Good. I'm sick of my tax having to support Australian pensioners.

I've never even been to the f*cking place!

 

Been living here for 5 years and finally not paying taxes for anyone, albeit it I am all for paying pensioners of they have worked and paid their taxes over the years, however the rules are you only have to have lived in Australia to receive the pension, i.e. you never had to work a day in your life and if you lived in Australia for 35 years, you will receive the full pension.

 

As for me, well at 60 now, I will be going back if still alive to collect the pension if it's still available, by then I should be in a position to have shifted enough funds to be elable, you see the way I see it, if they are going to throw money at everyone who hasn't paid a dime in taxes, then I might as well put my hand up because I paid a lot of taxes in my 40 years of working, so I think I am entitled to it over the others. 

 

In the meantime I will sit it out here and collect the tax free dollars on my investments legally as a non resident 🙂

 

Don't try and fight the system, play it.

 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

the way I see it, if they are going to throw money at everyone who hasn't paid a dime in taxes, then I might as well put my hand up because without all those taxes I paid in my 40 years, I think I am entitled to it over the others


Absolutely. Good for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Been living here for 5 years and finally not paying taxes for anyone, albeit it I am all for paying pensioners of they have worked and paid their taxes over the years, however the rules are you only have to have lived in Australia to receive the pension, i.e. you never had to work a day in your life and if you lived in Australia for 35 years, you will receive the full pension.

 

As for me, well at 60 now, I will be going back if still alive to collect the pension if it's still available, by then I should be in a position to have shifted enough funds to be elable, you see the way I see it, if they are going to throw money at everyone who hasn't paid a dime in taxes, then I might as well put my hand up because I paid a lot of taxes in my 40 years of working, so I think I am entitled to it over the others. 

 

In the meantime I will sit it out here and collect the tax free dollars on my investments legally as a non resident 🙂

 

Don't try and fight the system, play it.

 

This has probably been said a thousand times on this site but you need to be careful that in taking steps to be eligible for the pension  you are not then  deemed to be a resident for the ATO. You've probably looked into that already.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...