No Increase to Aus Pension

The hike in the dollar against the baht has more then made up for any increase in the aged pension. Getting an extra baht now on every dollar on the maximum single person overseas pension is worth 1894 baht a month so Covid19 has been quite generous to us pensioners in Thailand.

Its not the same as getting 32baht to the dollar but the rise in dollar again does allow a few other luxuries now.

So stop your whinging ol mate.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Is subtletly (sic) another way of saying nonsensical?

I find any one who feels the need to claim to be of an advanced culture is more likely to have been cultivated in a petri dish.

I honestly thought Australians had better humor detection than this. Perhaps I just meet the funny ones.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Poet said:

I honestly thought Australians had better humor detection than this. Perhaps I just meet the funny ones.

Did my humour go over your head?

I have never claimed the government pension so am not affected by changes, but for many here living on this type of income it's a very serious subject.

Edited by Old Croc
3 hours ago, Poet said:

The subtletly of my humor has been honed in more advanced cultures.

No, that would be exactly why the topic is such a rich vein. You should always make jokes about the things you're not meant to talk about.

Honing should not be taken so far one cuts oneself with it. The uncharitable might view your OP as a troll post.

Don't be shy, let us know your nationality. There's a clue in your escutcheon, although that may be a false flag.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Don't be shy, let us know your nationality.

Irish, and therefore entirely joking about being from a more advanced culture. We see the Australians as essentially the same as us, just a bit more criminal.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The uncharitable might view your OP as a troll post.

Honestly, the joke should have been obvious to anyone in the second sentence about having never even been to Australia. I don't know how I could have made it any clearer. That is not how trolls operate, they don't blow their pretence in their first post!

I will, however, avoid making jokes in Australian-oriented threads from now on. I am relieved, though, that a few people did get the joke.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Brer said:

The hike in the dollar against the baht has more then made up for any increase in the aged pension. Getting an extra baht now on every dollar on the maximum single person overseas pension is worth 1894 baht a month so Covid19 has been quite generous to us pensioners in Thailand.

Its not the same as getting 32baht to the dollar but the rise in dollar again does allow a few other luxuries now.

So stop your whinging ol mate.

Dont believe I said a word

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Poet said:

Irish, and therefore entirely joking about being from a more advanced culture. We see the Australians as essentially the same as us, just a bit more criminal.

Honestly, the joke should have been obvious to anyone in the second sentence about having never even been to Australia. I don't know how I could have made it any clearer. That is not how trolls operate, they don't blow their pretence in their first post!

I will, however, avoid making jokes in Australian-oriented threads from now on. I am relieved, though, that a few people did get the joke.

Irish? We're just a bit more criminal? Jesus Joseph and Mary, have you watched Ray Donovan? Or Gangs of New York?

The problem, apart from me being a bit slow, is that your OP was ambiguous. You said you had never even been there, which could have meant Thailand. That's the way I read it.

Australians and the Irish have a certain affinity, both being rebels against authority. Some of your guys do make good footballers, once we have taught them how to handle a ball that isn't round.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

This has probably been said a thousand times on this site but you need to be careful that in taking steps to be eligible for the pension  you are not then  deemed to be a resident for the ATO. You've probably looked into that already.

So back to the beginning, where did the $25- extra per fortnight originate from?

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I daresay the taxes I paid during my working life were more than yours, and you may feel grateful to get the OAP later on. If you are self-funded, good for you. Although there's a few tax rorts such as negative gearing, CGT discount, and the low taxes on superannuation working in your favor.

I am very pleased I got out of Melbourne and into Thailand about two weeks before the shutters came down. I'd be climbing the walls by now back there. No intention of going back for the next 2-3 years, or until there are no excess hoops to jump through at both countries' borders.

The pension is what it is. Not as generous as some other countries, but not the stingiest either. Try living on a Thai OAP, 600 baht/month.

The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension.

"The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension."

Not entirely correct. I know an aussie who is married to a Thai lady, he has made centrelink aware of his marriage, and they weren't interested as they were not living in Australia. He still receives the single rate for his pension, BUT he is always wary that one day his pension may be reduced and they ask him to repay what they would consider to be an overpayment.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Americans get a cheque for $1,200 even if they live permanently in Thailand, Aussies get $50 a month but nowt if they live in Thailand, while Brits get nowt no matter where they live. For once, the British system is fair, ugh!

Don't know where you got your information. Aussies currently receive AUD $1769.60 ( single rate ) every 4 weeks for the aged pension when living in Thailand.

Edited by TigerandDog
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, scorecard said:

So back to the beginning, where did the $25- extra per fortnight originate from?

Thanks for the reply. I am the humourless one who didn't get the joke. Never mind. Always read twice before posting. The really funny ones you only need to read once. 

I don't even get the pension.

I used to work in the area. There is no $25 bonus. Just the two $750 ones. 

• Like 1

All I get is the flat single AOP and did not get either of the 2 $750 hand outs, but what I did get was an extension rejection because the IO would not follow the Police Order and take the "Annual Average Income" into account because of the 4 week payments of the pension and not monthly payments. Those that I know that received the 2 $750 hand outs are those that still have an address in Australia and still use an Australian bank account. My address is Thailand and my bank account is Thai which my pension is paid directly from the Reserve bank into my account here.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Thanks for the reply. I am the humourless one who didn't get the joke. Never mind. Always read twice before posting. The really funny ones you only need to read once. 

I don't even get the pension.

I used to work in the area. There is no $25 bonus. Just the two $750 ones. 

But take a look at this:

https://theconversation.com/there-will-be-no-pension-increase-in-september-for-the-first-time-in-23-years-but-there-is-a-simple-fix-144732

Maybe there is another allowance? Wait and see. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

All I get is the flat single AOP and did not get either of the 2 $750 hand outs, but what I did get was an extension rejection because the IO would not follow the Police Order and take the "Annual Average Income" into account because of the 4 week payments of the pension and not monthly payments. Those that I know that received the 2 $750 hand outs are those that still have an address in Australia and still use an Australian bank account. My address is Thailand and my bank account is Thai which my pension is paid directly from the Reserve bank into my account here.

Do you have any concerns that through immigration/passport records eventually C'link will realize that although you have an Australian address and Aust. bank your not actually in OZ?

On 9/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, Laza 45 said:

You get one of the best pensions in the world.. you should be able to live on it quite comfortably here.. 

Assumning hes talking about the old age pension, as far as I knew it was not payable outside AU after some weeks/reduced, basically stuffed..... and on one side I see the AU gov doing one thing in keeping $ in aus (allthough its not really their money as we paid it all the years in taxes, but at the same time selling mines , land and everything to whever..  a mess.. half assed as usual)

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Americans get a cheque for $1,200 even if they live permanently in Thailand, Aussies get $50 a month but nowt if they live in Thailand, while Brits get nowt no matter where they live. For once, the British system is fair, ugh!

I heard our us friends have to pay tax no matter where they are... now thats heavy stuff!