No Increase to Aus Pension

8 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I heard they get a reduced rate part after some weeks or so..

6 weeks after leaving Australia, the pensioner loses the energy and phone supplements. Which is fair enough, because those services are not being used outside Australia. About $60 per fortnight, I can live with it.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I heard they get a reduced rate part after some weeks or so..

...after 6 weeks absence you loose the 'supplements' ..rent assistance etc.. about $50 a fortnight.. you still get basic pension of approx $885 a fortnight.. I'm talking about aged pension.. disability pension is a completely different thing..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

"The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension."

Not entirely correct. I know an aussie who is married to a Thai lady, he has made centrelink aware of his marriage, and they weren't interested as they were not living in Australia. He still receives the single rate for his pension, BUT he is always wary that one day his pension may be reduced and they ask him to repay what they would consider to be an overpayment.

So he's waiting for the other shoe to drop. No thanks, I don't want to put myself in that position.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

they would have had to have been resident in OZ at predetermined dates receive those payments. So I don't believe your statement is accurate at all.

Depends on how long you have been out of Australia.. If you are still considered a resident you would probably get both payments.  I was in Oz at the beginning of the year and had a concession card on my return.. I left in March (thank goodness.. and got back to Thailand before lock down).. I got the 1st payment but missed the second because my concession card had expired.. I've been out of the country for 10 years so not considered a resident.. but I get the card when I return and it lasts 6 weeks after I leave again..

On 9/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, AussieBob18 said:

I hope to - but right now I am here in Aus. 

People here on the dole have been getting more money than those on the pension.

Basically the dole was doubled and pensioners got a once-off $750 payment.

Pensioners  Living In Aus Got the $750 Twice According to a Friend in Aus .

Us Living in Los Got 0

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Not all, I know several who didn't, myself included, which didn't bother me, but some were right royally P---ed off.

If you get superannuation you never got those payments. Must be only if you are on the AUS pension. 

I see this has been answered. 

????

Edited by carlyai
11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I daresay the taxes I paid during my working life were more than yours, and you may feel grateful to get the OAP later on. If you are self-funded, good for you. Although there's a few tax rorts such as negative gearing, CGT discount, and the low taxes on superannuation working in your favor.

I am very pleased I got out of Melbourne and into Thailand about two weeks before the shutters came down. I'd be climbing the walls by now back there. No intention of going back for the next 2-3 years, or until there are no excess hoops to jump through at both countries' borders.

The pension is what it is. Not as generous as some other countries, but not the stingiest either. Try living on a Thai OAP, 600 baht/month.

The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension.

There are a lot of side benefits to consider which are very good "add ons" to the pension.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Honing should not be taken so far one cuts oneself with it. The uncharitable might view your OP as a troll post.

Don't be shy, let us know your nationality. There's a clue in your escutcheon, although that may be a false flag.

From the inferior complex i detect, i think that he could be british...........with a small b

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Irish? We're just a bit more criminal? Jesus Joseph and Mary, have you watched Ray Donovan? Or Gangs of New York?

The problem, apart from me being a bit slow, is that your OP was ambiguous. You said you had never even been there, which could have meant Thailand. That's the way I read it.

Australians and the Irish have a certain affinity, both being rebels against authority. Some of your guys do make good footballers, once we have taught them how to handle a ball that isn't round.

That certainly sounds Irish. They handle their ball and pass it from hand to hand ,but call it "Football"   lolololol

10 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

This has probably been said a thousand times on this site but you need to be careful that in taking steps to be eligible for the pension  you are not then  deemed to be a resident for the ATO. You've probably looked into that already.

Not sure I follow the above as you need to be deemed a resident to qualify for the pension, where the ATO comes into this I have no idea, as far as I know there is no tax payable on the pension.

The above said, assets are deemed and tax is paid accordingly, but if I keep it under the threshold, should be all and good until I decide to exit and come back to Thailand, that said, I do also know that there is a new ruling that I have heard on the grapevine, i.e. that you have to be in Australia 2 years prior to you being able to qualify if you are a non resident, then once approved, you can have it paid while you are overseas, but you have to let them know you are going abroad for an extended holiday so to speak.

No, that's not the new ruling, the new ruling is if you return after qualifying age, wait the two years and then go, and then return, and then go again, they cut you off, suffice to say, once I exit after receiving the OAP, that's it, no ins and outs for me, i.e. unless I return to stay and that won't make a difference because I will receive it. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not sure I follow the above as you need to be deemed a resident to qualify for the pension, where the ATO comes into this I have no idea, as far as I know there is no tax payable on the pension.

The above said, assets are deemed and tax is paid accordingly, but if I keep it under the threshold, should be all and good until I decide to exit and come back to Thailand, that said, I do also know that there is a new ruling that I have heard on the grapevine, i.e. that you have to be in Australia 2 years prior to you being able to qualify if you are a non resident, then once approved, you can have it paid while you are overseas, but you have to let them know you are going abroad for an extended holiday so to speak.

No, that's not the new ruling, the new ruling is if you return after qualifying age, wait the two years and then go, and then return, and then go again, they cut you off, suffice to say, once I exit after receiving the OAP, that's it, no ins and outs for me, i.e. unless I return to stay and that won't make a difference because I will receive it. 

I just thought you meant that you have investments now that are only tax free because you are a non-resident but that you would incur tax if you are a resident. The income for those investments may be taxable if you go back to being a resident of Australia to meet Centrelink rules. If you are 60 now I don't think you become eligible for the pension until you are 66 or 67 and  so if you have substantial investment income and go back as a resident now it could mean some tax.

As an aside the Age Pension is taxable and forms part of your taxable income. However there is the Seniors and Pensioners Tax Offset and if the pension will be your main source of income you pay no tax. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

There are a lot of side benefits to consider which are very good "add ons" to the pension.

What side benefits? There's the energy, phone and rent supplements. The PBS discount.

Given the cost of electricity and rent in Australia, those supplements are a bit of a sick joke.

The last time I was in Australia, I was informed by Centrelink my PBS discount had been blocked. Verbal only, I have never seen anything in writing, or given any right of appeal.

No big deal, it's about $200 a year extra. But they are such stingy c##ts.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, keith101 said:

Due to the corona virus and economic downturn in Australia there will be no increase to the pension this month the first time in over 20 years . However those living in Aus are going to get a $25 a fortnight covid payment until at least December and those of us stuck or living overseas get nothing . 

At least you are getting it. Very soon I have to return to Oz to get it and stay 2 years minimum if I want to make it portable.

If I stay here I will get nothing when "eligible".

Edited by Dazinoz
1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

At least you are getting it. Very soon I have to return to Oz to get it and stay 2 years minimum if I want to make it portable.

I had to go back for 2 years at 63 to qualify to get the pension and the return back to Thailand which is no problem , the current basic pension living outside Aus is $1,721.20 per 28 days giving 13 payments every year . 

2 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I had to go back for 2 years at 63 to qualify to get the pension and the return back to Thailand which is no problem , the current basic pension living outside Aus is $1,721.20 per 28 days giving 13 payments every year . 

Many conflicting stories on the 2 year timing. Some say you need to be back 2 years to qualify for pension and others say you can go back just before eligible date and get on that date then wait 2 years to make portable.

You can go back 2 years before retirement age to qualify or go back just before and wait 2 years to be eligible to get the Pension and be on Unemployment (about 2/3 the money) for that time , i chose to go back early to qualify  so i could come back here soon after receiving the Pension which i did after having to have a knee operation .

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, keith101 said:

You can go back 2 years before retirement age to qualify or go back just before and wait 2 years to be eligible to get the Pension and be on Unemployment (about 2/3 the money) for that time , i chose to go back early to qualify  so i could come back here soon after receiving the Pension which i did after having to have a knee operation .

Ok good. I will be going back just before eligible age as I don't intend to come back here to live.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I just thought you meant that you have investments now that are only tax free because you are a non-resident but that you would incur tax if you are a resident. The income for those investments may be taxable if you go back to being a resident of Australia to meet Centrelink rules. If you are 60 now I don't think you become eligible for the pension until you are 66 or 67 and  so if you have substantial investment income and go back as a resident now it could mean some tax.

As an aside the Age Pension is taxable and forms part of your taxable income. However there is the Seniors and Pensioners Tax Offset and if the pension will be your main source of income you pay no tax. 

Correct when I do return which is more than likely at 65 to get the pension at 67, my investments will be deemed and subject to tax, however my investments will be equally split into both my wife's and my name so as to reduce the tax payable by me as a resident. 

I never knew that the OAP was taxable, that said, I learn something everyday and I am sure it will be minimal, that said, even if it was reduced by $100 a week, I would still be better off around $400 per week with other benefits applicable ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Enjoy the pension while you can.

With welfare taking the lion's share of the taxes collected, it won't be too long until pensions and the like are reduced, and over time quite possibly done away with.

A young person now would be a fool to think they will be getting a pension in 30 or 40 years.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Many conflicting stories on the 2 year timing. Some say you need to be back 2 years to qualify for pension and others say you can go back just before eligible date and get on that date then wait 2 years to make portable.

There is a new issue at hand which has recently arisen.

Background:

It's always been the case re portability that you had to return 2 years prior, wait it out and then leave after your "probation period" and it was made portable, regardless you had & still have to let them know you are going overseas, say for an extended holiday for argument sake, they cannot stop the OAP this way. I would assume most would go on the dole while waiting, or work part time if they could find work ?

The other way was to go back when one had reached the OPA, make the application and get the pension wait the 2 years and then do as the above, tell them your going overseas for an extended holiday, however apparently that has all changed if, you go back to Australia and then leave again, they will then stop your OAP.

Now I have not seen anything written on this, however have heard from my wife who is a member of a Thai forum of women in Australia, and she has heard women complaining that their husbands have had their pensions stopped when they left to go back to Thailand again. All had gone back when they were of OAP age, applied, were approved, received their pensions, left for Thailand, pensions were paid, went back to Oz a year or two later, stayed for a short period 1,2,3 months and left for Thailand again, shortly after they all left their pensions stopped as Centrelink stated that their residence was Thailand and could no longer receive the pension, e.g. it was either one residence, Australia to receive the pension, or Thailand not to receive the pension. Yes it sounds crazy and there are avenues to appeal, however I have not seen anything in writing or heard of any appeals at this time.

When things like this usually start, it gives you an idea that something is up, suffice to say, for those thinking of going back to get the OAP when their birthday is, they might want to consider going back a couple of years earlier so that the new ruling doesn't apply, i.e. they were back two years well before getting the OAP and can go overseas to live and not be subjected to the pension being stopped is they left, came back, and then left again.

Be interested if anyone else has heard of the above, as I do recall seeing something here on TVF posted by another Aussie. 

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Background:

It's always been the case re portability that you had to return 2 years prior, wait it out and then leave after your "probation period" and it was made portable, regardless you had & still have to let them know you are going overseas, say for an extended holiday for argument sake, they cannot stop the OAP this way. I would assume most would go on the dole while waiting, or work part time if they could find work ?

The other way was to go back when one had reached the OPA, make the application and get the pension wait the 2 years and then do as the above, tell them your going overseas for an extended holiday, however apparently that has all changed if, you go back to Australia and then leave again, they will then stop your OAP.

Now I have not seen anything written on this, however have heard from my wife who is a member of a Thai forum of women in Australia, and she has heard women complaining that their husbands have had their pensions stopped when they left to go back to Thailand again. All had gone back when they were of OAP age, applied, were approved, received their pensions, left for Thailand, pensions were paid, went back to Oz a year or two later, stayed for a short period 1,2,3 months and left for Thailand again, shortly after they all left their pensions stopped as Centrelink stated that their residence was Thailand and could no longer receive the pension, e.g. it was either one residence, Australia to receive the pension, or Thailand not to receive the pension. Yes it sounds crazy and there are avenues to appeal, however I have not seen anything in writing or heard of any appeals at this time.

When things like this usually start, it gives you an idea that something is up, suffice to say, for those thinking of going back to get the OAP when their birthday is, they might want to consider going back a couple of years earlier so that the new ruling doesn't apply, i.e. they were back two years well before getting the OAP and can go overseas to live and not be subjected to the pension being stopped is they left, came back, and then left again.

Be interested if anyone else has heard of the above, as I do recall seeing something here on TVF posted by another Aussie. 

As I say I get conflicting stories from Centrelink, my accountant and TVF posters and another forum I am on for Aus pensioners. https://dspoverseas.proboards.com (hope posting link is allowed).

I was told the other day by a friend of a friend that he went back to oz and was at eligible age. He applied for OAP and was denied and they used the 2 year unwritten "rule". He appealed and was declined. He appealed again and again was declined so he went to the Ombudsman and he overturned Centrelink and appeals decisions and was granted the OAP and also back paid.

I have 20 months to eligible age but can not return just yet due to commitments and maybe not be able to return until after eligible date. I am hoping to get immediately (after processing time) and I don't intend to come back here.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Background:

A very good write up, thank you!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jingjo01 said:

For those of you retired and living in Thailand on the age pension consider yourself very lucky. I am a 76 year old Australian citizen born and bred in Sydney. Centerlink will not grant me the age pension. Reason being that as i have been absent from Australia for more than 2 years i am considered a non resident. I applied from here at age 67. I retired to this Country at age 60, assuming that when i reached 65 i could get the age pension. Wrong !! The only way to get it would be to return to Oz and live there for 2 years without leaving during that time. I have been in Thailand for 17 years now , with a house, long term Thai partner, dogs and a normal life with local financial responsibilities. I have no property or family left in Oz so it is just not feasible for me to return. I still maintain an Australian bank account and a contact address. So please don't complain because your pension is not getting an increase when there are people like myself who cant get anything. I paid taxes ,Medicare etc all my working life from 18 to 60 and now refused the age pension because i chose to retire and live in Thailand. My ever dwindling savings and superannuation payments are just keeping my head above water, especially with the new Immigration Insurance requirements and the high cost of health insurance generally for someone my age.

It has been Oz government policy you can only apply for Age Pension within Australia, that you did not do your research is unfortunate. Australians working in private industry do not pay into a government managed Age Pension fund, Age Pension is funded via taxation on an annual budget basis. 

Wishing you truly enjoy your retirement in Thailand...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, oznomad said:

Enjoy the pension while you can.

With welfare taking the lion's share of the taxes collected, it won't be too long until pensions and the like are reduced, and over time quite possibly done away with.

A young person now would be a fool to think they will be getting a pension in 30 or 40 years.

Permit me to doubt that. The Baby Boomers are still a significant voting bloc. Politicians on both sides of the fence know it is electoral suicide to mess with pensions. More likely inflation will be allowed to quietly reduce their purchasing power.

I agree young people are being dudded now, and will be in the future. However, their voting power will increase as we die off.