Jump to content

No Increase to Aus Pension


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Think yourself kucky that you come from a "nanny state" that pays pensions at all

in particular when living overseas

First time I've ever heard the USA described as a nanny state.

Link to post
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look on the bright side. You're in Thailand and not Melbourne.

OP, your pension is not nothing, and you will receive that. It's the $25 a fortnight that your bitching about, well why should you get it, you are not in the country, , you are not spending anything i

The pension did not increase because inflation was actually negative in Aust. Pension increases are linked to CPI increases - but payments were held not reduced (of course). There is no $25

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I daresay the taxes I paid during my working life were more than yours, and you may feel grateful to get the OAP later on. If you are self-funded, good for you. Although there's a few tax rorts such as negative gearing, CGT discount, and the low taxes on superannuation working in your favor.

I am very pleased I got out of Melbourne and into Thailand about two weeks before the shutters came down. I'd be climbing the walls by now back there. No intention of going back for the next 2-3 years, or until there are no excess hoops to jump through at both countries' borders.

The pension is what it is. Not as generous as some other countries, but not the stingiest either. Try living on a Thai OAP, 600 baht/month.

The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension.

"The only beef I have with Centrelink's rules is if I marry my Thai GF, I'd lose about 10,000 baht by being cut back to a couple's pension. Which is complete BS, because she is not an Australian citizen, and hence has no entitlement to any pension."

 

Not entirely correct. I know an aussie who is married to a Thai lady, he has made centrelink aware of his marriage, and they weren't interested as they were not living in Australia. He still receives the single rate for his pension, BUT he is always wary that one day his pension may be reduced and they ask him to repay what they would consider to be an overpayment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Americans get a cheque for $1,200 even if they live permanently in Thailand, Aussies get $50 a month but nowt if they live in Thailand, while Brits get nowt no matter where they live. For once, the British system is fair, ugh!

Don't know where you got your information. Aussies currently receive AUD $1769.60 ( single rate ) every 4 weeks for the aged pension when living in Thailand.

Edited by TigerandDog
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, scorecard said:

So back to the beginning, where did the $25- extra per fortnight originate from?

 Thanks for the reply. I am the humourless one who didn't get the joke. Never mind. Always read twice before posting. The really funny ones you only need to read once. 

I don't even get the pension.

I used to work in the area. There is no $25 bonus. Just the two $750 ones. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

All I get is the flat single AOP and did not get either of the 2 $750 hand outs, but what I did get was an extension rejection because the IO would not follow the Police Order and take the "Annual Average Income" into account because of the 4 week payments of the pension and not monthly payments. Those that I know that received the 2 $750 hand outs are those that still have an address in Australia and still use an Australian bank account. My address is Thailand and my bank account is Thai which my pension is paid directly from the Reserve bank into my account here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
28 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

 Thanks for the reply. I am the humourless one who didn't get the joke. Never mind. Always read twice before posting. The really funny ones you only need to read once. 

I don't even get the pension.

I used to work in the area. There is no $25 bonus. Just the two $750 ones. 

But take a look at this:

 

https://theconversation.com/there-will-be-no-pension-increase-in-september-for-the-first-time-in-23-years-but-there-is-a-simple-fix-144732

 

Maybe there is another allowance? Wait and see. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

they would have had to have been resident in OZ at predetermined dates receive those payments. So I don't believe your statement is accurate at all.

Its accurate believe away.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

All I get is the flat single AOP and did not get either of the 2 $750 hand outs, but what I did get was an extension rejection because the IO would not follow the Police Order and take the "Annual Average Income" into account because of the 4 week payments of the pension and not monthly payments. Those that I know that received the 2 $750 hand outs are those that still have an address in Australia and still use an Australian bank account. My address is Thailand and my bank account is Thai which my pension is paid directly from the Reserve bank into my account here.

Do you have any concerns that through immigration/passport records eventually C'link will realize that although you have an Australian address and Aust. bank your not actually in OZ?

 

 

 

 

Link to post
On 9/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, Laza 45 said:

You get one of the best pensions in the world.. you should be able to live on it quite comfortably here.. 

Assumning hes talking about the old age pension, as far as I knew it was not payable outside AU after some weeks/reduced, basically stuffed..... and on one side I see the AU gov doing one thing in keeping $ in aus (allthough its not really their money as we paid it all the years in taxes, but at the same time selling mines , land and everything to whever..  a mess.. half assed as usual)

  • Confused 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Americans get a cheque for $1,200 even if they live permanently in Thailand, Aussies get $50 a month but nowt if they live in Thailand, while Brits get nowt no matter where they live. For once, the British system is fair, ugh!

I heard our us friends have to pay tax no matter where they are... now thats heavy stuff!

Link to post
1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

they would have had to have been resident in OZ at predetermined dates receive those payments. So I don't believe your statement is accurate at all.

I heard they get a reduced rate part after some weeks or so..

Link to post
1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

they would have had to have been resident in OZ at predetermined dates receive those payments. So I don't believe your statement is accurate at all.

Agree. I certainly didn't get it, left Oz in February.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...